Replacing “snubber” on power switch.

saabracer23

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I’m rebuilding a power switch on an SX-750 and wanted to replace the cap labeled 103Z ac250v. That tells me it’s a .01uf caps rated at 250v ac.

CDF7E5CB-C7DE-44D2-8ECE-C51B28F3E1C0.jpeg

Would I be able to throw one of these film caps in without issue or should it be ceramic disc type? Would one be preferred over the others? All are .01uf, first pictured being 400v rated, the other two are 600v and 630v rated.

658EC613-DC70-43DC-918C-463F889F16BA.jpeg
9F851A1B-83B0-40DB-92CC-C38D65782B4B.jpeg

A27FF4DC-F089-4A1E-A463-69270A8C6288.jpeg

Thanks,
Dan

It really should be a Class Y capacitor for safety. Whatever you get that meets that criteria should be relatively safe.

I agree, a safety cap is what you should use in XXI century. (X2/Y2 is enough, perhaps X3/Y3 too)

X/Y Caps are tested to handle large spikes and peaks of thousand of volts.
Y caps are made to never fail shorted. X caps are made to never start a fire. Most safety caps meet both standard.

I'd leave the original in, BTW.

Last edited:
I agree, a safety cap is what you should use in XXI century. (X2/Y2 is enough, perhaps X3/Y3 too)

X/Y Caps are tested to handle large spikes and peaks of thousand of volts.
Y caps are made to never fail shorted. X caps are made to never start a fire. Most safety caps meet both standard.

I'd leave the original in, BTW.

I think I’ll throw a couple of y rated caps in my Mouser basket for future use, but I may just put the original back in since I don’t have a replacement on hand.

I wonder, the wonder cap is dated 1975......not exactly a renewal...apart from the rating

Yes, the wonder cap is a little older, but being film and spending about a year in a light duty passive pre I figured it would be better than the one that has had years of ac going to it.

Dan

Actually, this is the correct cap to prolong the life of your switch contacts. It goes across the switch, not from line to chassis or across the line.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cornell-Dubilier-CDE/104M06QC100?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrF9O2k7r3G2yZ2k0QKn5XxRg=
You are right, those are modern "RC" snubber capacitors. I'm sure they meet the safety standards needed for this app.

Even if no human life seems in risk in this application (a short in the capacitor will just turn ON the unit), I usually use safety caps just for reliability, thinking they are connected to the main voltage for very long times, and they are rated for AC.

I assume you can add that suppression cap to any AC switch, whether it had one originally or not. A lot of older gear, like the MAC1900 and MC2100/5 switches do not have one and they are known for switch problems. I was going to add one just for that.

In Europe we have Roxburgh 120R 0.1uf or 0.033uf RC Network caps. I install them on all power switches without protection. Also bought Kemet 400VAC safety caps, more reliable than the classic Riva caps, but should be combined with a resistor.

The CD one listed is combo safety snubber cap with built in resistor. That is what I will add. I'm surprised it took me so long to find this information.

While mechanically directly across the switch is best, as long as it is electrically equivalent, the majority of the benefit exists. On these two pieces of gear, directly across the switch is more of a challenge than the other end of the extension wires that go to the switch.

Back
Top Bottom