Replacing a sounblaster Z

kitchi

Up until 2 weeks ago I was using a sound blaster z sadly it has died
I am thinking of replacing it with a DAC. Can any one give me some advice on a DAC that will be comparable to my old sound card with out breaking my bank account or get me a divorce.
The sound card is about $100 usd and I would like to stick with that price point if possible.

I will be plugging my Sennheiser 558HD headphones into it.
The DAC would have to have a built in amp for the headphones and preferably a volume control.

I have been looking around the internet but know one can seem to agree on anything.
They all seem to contradict each other.

Any advice would be appreciated

Steve

I would see what the folks over at Head-Fi have to say as that is right up their alley.

Eric

I'm happy with my Centrance DACPort Slim that is within your budget but the drop isn't active on Massdrop at the moment. Decent DAC, Class-A headphone amp, can't do much better for the money, not for use with mobile devices as it is relatively power-hungry being Class-A, very compact, has ASIO driver. There is also Emotiva Little Ego for $99, which is pretty good as well but no physical volume control, you'll need control volume from the computer but the built-in volume control is analog which is nice. Also check FiiO or Topping devices, many are happy with them.

The S.M.S.L M3 is great, though if you want tube warmth check out the Xiang Shen DAC-01A

HiFimediy: Clean, nice simple sound, for not a lot of money. Use two of them every day.

my two cents Stu

Back
Top Bottom