Resolution you mainly watch on your 4K TV's (Place Your Vote)

What Resolution Do You Mainly Watch On Your 4K TV's

• I mainly watch 4K Resolution

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I watch some 4K but mainly 1080p or below Resolution

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • I only watch 1080p or below Resolution

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sansui77

Khosaku Kikuchi's Grandson
No doubt that the new 4K TV's are impressive.
I'm curious to see what resolution 4K TV owners mainly watch?

I have a Samsung 8000 series Suhd TV with an Oppo udp 203 4k Blu-ray player I dropped my cable provider which offered 4k but only on 3 channels. Now I stream my shows mostly in 4k. But being that alot of movies and TV shows are not native 4k it's hard to say that's the only resolution thats watched, however whenever possible I try to watch in that resolution because it can and usually does look outstanding.

1080p output from TiVo and Blu-ray. I suppose I should look for 4k content to stream but mostly I go with what the TiVo has recorded.

Technically, it "upscales" everything to 4k, but I watch more 1080 sources. I am not real sure that I watch much 1080p (Bluray). A lot of stations broadcast at 1080i/720p. I haven't really looked into each channel, so that being said, I probably watch more 4k than 1080p, but I lumped everything from Comcast into the 1080p bucket (since I believe that is what you were asking).

The move to 4k will take a long, long time for network TV. I watch Amazon and Youtube in 4k (though some of Youtube is 4k upconverted from lower resolution sources), though.

My 1080p TV recently broke, and I decided to repair it myself than upgrade to 4k. Reason being, I just don't see any content I really want in 4k. Also, I sit 15' away from my TV, so there's little if any improvement for me.

Where 4k really shines is on desktop usage. It's a shame manufacturers won't make 4k sets under 40". Probably because they'd undercut actual 4k monitors.

Whatever resolution the source offers. Some are 480, some are 720, some are 1080 and a few, very few are in 2160.

Upscaling is automatic on the TV and doesn't count IMNSHO.

4K sets still playing the game with "native display resolution" where their claims are for upscaled video or the actual pixel count?

Corollary question: How important is refresh rate? I'd think that would be a biggie considering the massive amounts of data in a 4K stream.

And ... is it these massive amounts of streaming 4K what's hammering the internet speeds lately? I can see everyone wanting to watch and bringing the backbone to it's digital knees.

That said, I still prefer SD except for sports. A lot of that is because I've only got a 46" set here in a converted cottage, and the lower res is more than enough for movie style watching. I'm sure the bigger the screen, and the greater the distance to where you're sitting, the more res you're gonna want.

So what does OTA broadcast in? I see 4K on the sets at work all day, but watching the news on uncompressed OTA feeds from a rabbit ears here looks pretty darn good too, especial sports and the news.

IME the upscaling on 1080p sources is VVG. What surprised me the most has been on OTA 480i broadcasts, it is impressive how nice shows like WKRP, Hogan's Heroes and others look. You should see Mary Ann in the color episodes of Gilligan's Island, It like seeing her again for the first time.

Its odd but there have only been a handful of times, where I was impressed by the supposed 4K stuff from the Amazon box, but then again when you watch one of their 4K features, it always says "optimizing for 4K UHD". My thoughts tend to think that this is probably some kind of "processed 4K".

So what does OTA broadcast in? I see 4K on the sets at work all day, but watching the news on uncompressed OTA feeds from a rabbit ears here looks pretty darn good too, especial sports and the news.

480i, 720p or 1080i. My thoughts are that we will never see true 4K OTA as the amount of bandwidth needed would be incredible. Most of the time my TV looks better upscaling 720p than 1080i. YMMV

I've been looking at TV's to buy for a long time and I think the picture quality is too distracting from the programming being shown. Then I've also been looking at blue-ray with no success either.

Back
Top Bottom