Restorer-John's random HiFi brochure-of-the-day!

Thanks again RJ. One little favor — on that JVC speaker brochure, with all those great looking powerhouses, there's an itty-bitty speaker S-M30 at the bottom. I have a pair, in the back of a closet — easy to lose track of they're so small. Didn't need them but paid $30, didn't hesitate, because they're obvious quality. Each is a brick and both drivers look top class. Making a speaker that tiny was obviously a challenge and labor of love for serious engineers.

I can't enlarge the brochure enough to read the copy, it's just pixels. If you ever have a spare moment, and can scan that part of it, I'd be so grateful. (If you don't "do requests" I understand.) Thanks....

Send me a PM with your email add. I can send a high resolution scan of the back page with the S-M30s. I can only attach 1M to an AK email or to this thread.

:)

Nice thread RJ!

Manuals (service & owners) and adverts are ''relatively'' easy to come by,but brochures don't usually seem to survive the test of time.This'll be interesting:)

Here's JBL 1983/4 first 5 pages and an original March 1984 price list in AUD. I remember getting this brochure and price list after listening to the range at Southport HiFi. I was utterly blown away by the JBL L250. It was nice of John D'Arcy to give an 17yo boy a catalogue and price list, especially when I was still at school (final year).

scan040 (Large).jpg

scan041 (Large).jpg

scan042 (Large).jpg

scan043 (Large).jpg

scan044 (Large).jpg

scan045 (Large).jpg

scan046 (Large).jpg

the rest of the brochure to come.

Holy crap... based on that price sheet, and extrapolating to include an est. $1,500 for the B380, I'm sitting on over 8 grand of 1984 JBL stuff.

John

Holy crap... based on that price sheet, and extrapolating to include an est. $1,500 for the B380, I'm sitting on over 8 grand of 1984 JBL stuff.

John

The listed prices are not US Dollars, but rather, Australian dollars.

At that stage in history the Aussie dollar was worth more than the US dollar.

Those prices are about double what they were in the U.S. in 1984. How open was AUS trade back in 1984?

Here's the exchange rate:
Date, AUD/USD Exchange Rate, AUD Dollar Trade-weighted
11-May-1984, 0.9040, 82.0

And here is the U.S. JBL MSRP by year:
cf. http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/price-lists/1970-1999-prices.htm

What's also interesting is the price on the subwoofer is much closer to what the U.S. MSRP was in 1984, but speakers are nearly double.

Last edited:
Ah, that makes sense... adds up to just over $4K, which is closer to what my recollection was - I know I looked at the heritage site price list at some point in the past. Probably about what the current value is too.

It's quite possible the prices down under were inflated by the cost of freight... even back then it was expensive to ship big heavy stuff from LA to Australia.

John

Surely it was the freight costs, not the dealer markups that made JBL so expensive here... ;)

It was very aspirational gear here and very few dealers carried JBL- they were usually exclusive JBL dealers if they did.

I have a bunch of Yamaha and Pioneer catalogues with matching dealer cost/retail prices coming up.

Surely it was the freight costs, not the dealer markups that made JBL so expensive here... ;)

It was very aspirational gear here and very few dealers carried JBL- they were usually exclusive JBL dealers if they did.

I have a bunch of Yamaha and Pioneer catalogues with matching dealer cost/retail prices coming up.

I'd love to see the Pioneer catalogues, anything from the late 80's early 90's? :)

I'd love to see the Pioneer catalogues, anything from the late 80's early 90's? :)

IMG_1636.JPG

These Pioneer catalogues cover 1986 to the mid 90s or so. They are full range catalogues with lots of detail that would be lost in a 1MB attachment sizes. I'll scan the price lists and order forms just for fun.

Back
Top Bottom