Restoring KEF 105.1 Speakers

Hi guys,

I have hooked everything up. These speakers sound amazing. Seriously, the best piece of HIFI I have ever owned!!! the mids and highs are amazing, so is the bass response... i can imagine what they sound like with a recap.

Thanks SASI and everyone else who helped out!

I still need to work out a way to seal the tweeter, and also to redo the grills!

However this is what the setup currently looks like.
20120519_222707 (Medium).jpg

20120520_083907 (Medium).jpg

20120520_143311 (Medium).jpg

Hi guys,

I have hooked everything up. These speakers sound amazing!

Bravo Rotary... you are one AMAZING chap yourself. Can't believe how good those look! And to think where they started!

I am sooo glad you under took this daunting endevour to restore these gems. You are an inspiration!

And I am equally as excited for you that they met with your every expectation. Nothing better than to put in all of that effort and have your audio expectations not only met but exceeded.

Good job! :thmbsp:

Bravo Rotary... you are one AMAZING chap yourself. Can't believe how good those look! And to think where they started!

I am sooo glad you under took this daunting endevour to restore these gems. You are an inspiration!

And I am equally as excited for you that they met with your every expectation. Nothing better than to put in all of that effort and have your audio expectations not only met but exceeded.

Good job! :thmbsp:

Thank you so much my friend for your support and finally if there is anything I can help around your beautiful 107's let me know :)

There will still be a few more posts here for when I finish the grills etc.

:)

Mark

Thank you so much my friend for your support and finally if there is anything I can help around your beautiful 107's let me know :)

Nope, ball is in my court to help SaSi out with HIS R107 project... ;)

I'm going to put together a photo montage of the 107 disassembly and get him some measurements. I want to see his look as good as yours! :thmbsp:

:thmbsp:I would like to see the magnets on the sub units if you take pictures SimplySound.

Those look like brand new cabinets now Rx7rotary . Good listening.

Hi guys,

I have hooked everything up. These speakers sound amazing. Seriously, the best piece of HIFI I have ever owned!!! the mids and highs are amazing, so is the bass response... i can imagine what they sound like with a recap.

Thanks SASI and everyone else who helped out!

I still need to work out a way to seal the tweeter, and also to redo the grills!

However this is what the setup currently looks like.
View attachment 350434

View attachment 350435

View attachment 350436

These look gorgeus. I think I need to brush and lacquer my bass cabinets. One has lost the tan and the other has become somwhat redish on one face - perhaps due to exposure to sunlight.

Way to go Marco!

You still have a few things to do in order to complete them:
1. You need to glue black acoustic foam on top of the bass cabinets. The thickness is as high as the side and back panels go.
2. You need to cover the back of the heads.
3. You need to put the hoods on. I know this is hard - you want to see the result of your efforts - but once you are happy with what you see, put them on. They turn into something magical.
4. You need to replace the steel screws with black ones (dipping them into the paint is good enough if you are careful when you screw them). The silver finish on the screws looks odd and can be seen even through the hoods. Don't ask how I know - I need to take care of my screws also.

And now, let's focus on item (2).

I will take some pictures of the heads of my pair, from several angles, and post here - so we can compare and discuss. I'm sure we'll come up with something simple, clever and doable.

Please take pictures yourself so we can compare with the factory covers.

Happy listening.

Nope, ball is in my court to help SaSi out with HIS R107 project... ;)

I'm going to put together a photo montage of the 107 disassembly and get him some measurements. I want to see his look as good as yours! :thmbsp:

Thanks for not forgetting about it. I know it takes time and a brave decision to do what you described.

These look gorgeus. I think I need to brush and lacquer my bass cabinets. One has lost the tan and the other has become somwhat redish on one face - perhaps due to exposure to sunlight.

Way to go Marco!

You still have a few things to do in order to complete them:
1. You need to glue black acoustic foam on top of the bass cabinets. The thickness is as high as the side and back panels go.
2. You need to cover the back of the heads.
3. You need to put the hoods on. I know this is hard - you want to see the result of your efforts - but once you are happy with what you see, put them on. They turn into something magical.
4. You need to replace the steel screws with black ones (dipping them into the paint is good enough if you are careful when you screw them). The silver finish on the screws looks odd and can be seen even through the hoods. Don't ask how I know - I need to take care of my screws also.

And now, let's focus on item (2).

I will take some pictures of the heads of my pair, from several angles, and post here - so we can compare and discuss. I'm sure we'll come up with something simple, clever and doable.

Please take pictures yourself so we can compare with the factory covers.

Happy listening.

Yes you are right Sasi.

1. I will start cutting out the material I want to use (black felt) I will send a pic.
2. Thats my biggest thing at the moment, I really need to sort this out, as potentiomenter is just hanging down.
3. hoods... yes, about to start cutting the plywood to remake the hoods, the original ones are way to damaged to repair.
4. you are spot on about this. I have had comments from a couple of friends saying the screws look terrible.

Sure lets look at item 2 for now, and I will take some photos too.

Thanks Sasi, for everything.

The music that comes out of these speakers is amazing. I really am enjoying every moment while I am listening.

M

Verdict on the actual performance of the speakers:
1. Fantastic bass response, I havent expected this
2. Mid is very pleasant so are highs

I have not played yet with moving the heads left/right or up/down too much I guess this is something I will have to work out as well.

Soundwise I am amazed. It is very hard to express the sound of these speakers in words. So much crisp, sound stage is huge, bass is tight, and it is all running through almost 40 year old caps and just basic wire that I had at the time to test them out.

At some point, I will have to think of recapping very soon, at least with ELCAP to start with and restore back to original setting, and also run some decent internal wire.

Thanks all for your support if you have any thoughts on the above let me know.

M.

Verdict on the actual performance of the speakers:
1. Fantastic bass response, I havent expected this
2. Mid is very pleasant so are highs

I have not played yet with moving the heads left/right or up/down too much I guess this is something I will have to work out as well.

Soundwise I am amazed. It is very hard to express the sound of these speakers in words. So much crisp, sound stage is huge, bass is tight, and it is all running through almost 40 year old caps and just basic wire that I had at the time to test them out.

At some point, I will have to think of recapping very soon, at least with ELCAP to start with and restore back to original setting, and also run some decent internal wire.

Thanks all for your support if you have any thoughts on the above let me know.

M.

Hey rx, A friend gave me a pair of these in very good to excellent condition last week, saying " These were my Mom's and they're taking up too much room in my house and I don't have a stereo. You want them? They're free if you come and pick them up. " Same experience with the sound. Excellent soundstage and imaging and very tight bass.

Hey rx, A friend gave me a pair of these in very good to excellent condition last week, saying " These were my Mom's and they're taking up too much room in my house and I don't have a stereo. You want them? They're free if you come and pick them up. " Same experience with the sound. Excellent soundstage and imaging and very tight bass.

Thats FANTASTIC!!!

Last edited:
A friend gave me a pair of these in very good to excellent condition last week, saying " These were my Mom's and they're taking up too much room in my house and I don't have a stereo. You want them? They're free if you come and pick them up. "

Well ain't YOU the lucky one! Man I need new friends! :tears:

after listening...

After listening to these speakers for a while longer now, the only thing that I have changed was the power amp and pre amp, where I noticed so much difference from the transistor Perreaux gear moving to Audio Research tube gear, transition was amazing.
The speakers have become so subtle yet, so alive and the control of bass is second to none. I am not sure if this is all related to tubes or not, I have not had too much opportunity before to play with tubes, but I think at this stage I have rediscovered my setup once again.
The plan is to recap the xover. I am thinking poly, but the space is rather limited so still unsure of what to do.
In terms of wiring, there will be:
1. pure silver to tweeter
2. Silver coated to mid
3. Solid copper oxygen free to bass
This is truly an amazing speaker in my opinion.
I also need to find a cover that fits over the xover at the back, one thing I am missing and the badges for the covers. aside from that I am slowly getting there.
pics to follow.
m.

...moving to Audio Research tube gear, transition was amazing. The speakers have become so subtle yet, so alive and the control of bass is second to none.

Good for you Rotary! I'm slowly getting my speakers to a point of "no need to change"! The next Quest may be in the world of Tubes! I know so little about that world that it makes me nervous... but I've heard that so much good can come from it!

Keep us posted! :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom