Restoring SX-3800, my first - a little background and a couple questions

Mark - I do not fully know your situation. I only caught glipmses as a read through the forum. I can only say that you are educating me and others in a way that probably only you can do. For that I am grateful.

I am not on a DBT, however I am on a BK precision 1653 (isolation transformer and Variac in one) but limited to 3 Amps. Will check with straight line voltage from what you said above.

The voltages I reported are from my Oscilloscope (Rhode and Schwarz 1202) It is set on dc volts but also has a built in DMM that can show the DC portion along with the AC portion. The waveform also shows the AC "pulses". My DMMS are Fluke 89v (2), Fluke 289, Brymen 869, Keithly 2015.

sorry for our time disconnect but I live in Germany right now.

Again your and all other inputs are greatly appreciated - I am learning

Best to you
John

no sweat, nice to know what the data is coming from. Good stuff.

When I say "guys" I am addressing ( inviting ) the gallery - the crowd - the spectators (as such) , which has quite a few quite adept people that can follow the map I laid out and walk you through it, doing a lot of typing, link finding and such that I just cannot give justice to at the moment.
Time offsets across the planet, no problem, I'm used to it. the thing to resist is blasting through this with action and not a lot of thought on the whats and whys as one tries to answer the posts too quickly. MY side as well as yours.

USAF John,

Bitte ein Bit, fur Mich Bitte!

Und Vielicht, that is maybe some are wondering where these .6V (.7V)
keep cropping up from?

We must remember that the PN junctions take that much voltage before they conduct.
It's the same number our meters display when checking a silicone diode...about .6V.
The diode is one PN Junction.

A Transistor, such as a BJT for instance, has two junctions, either NpN or PnP.
They will also take .6V for each junction to conduct. In a BJT, one junction is forward biased
and the other junction is reversed bias. each junction still has to over come .6V to conduct.

Or when it is conducting...we still have to account for the .6V.

Alles klau?

Spike

Last edited:
Thanks Spike! I took a little break to let my thoughts clear-- will be back on this tomorrow morning.

BTW - I live in Bitburg -- Home of Bitburger

Veilen Danke
Ja Alles klau

John

Gang - I am stuck. I can't even get passed the power supply. So to recap (pun intended) . ALL components have been checked and rechecked. New transistors, new diodes, new electrolytics. I have it attached to inputs from the transformer and ground from pin 19 and33.
mains voltage 120.9 VAC
Input voltages
pin 1 - 52.5, -23 VDC
pin 2 - 52.5, -24VDC
pin 3 - -24 VDC, 12.6 VAC
pin4 17.5 VAC, 2-5 VAC
pin 5 11.5 VAC, 2-5 VDC

All above VDC are jumpy

Pin 26 35.2 VAC
Pin 27 35 VAC
pin 28 - 0

Output voltages (target voltage)
pin 35 48.2 VDC (45.5)
pin 29 48.1 VDC (45.5)

pin18- - -39VDC (-47)
pin20- 39 (47)
pi22- 30.29 (32)

Chassis ground as reference
D204- -96.9 VDC, (-62.5)
D201- 45 VDC (62.5)
d206- 21 VDC (21)

Q210 E- 1.2 VDC (5.5) not too worried here, I beleive it must have feedback from other curcuits to activate
B - .6 VDC
C- 21 VDC (20)
Q209 E- 14.5 (12.8)

Q205 E- -39.1 VDC (-47)
B- -29.5VDC
C- -100.7 VDC
Q201 E- 38.9 VDC
B- 39 VDC
C- 39.7 VDC
Q203 E- 14.55 VDC (14)
B - 14.2 VDC
C - 38.7 VDC
Q208 E - -27.4 VDC (-32)
B - -27.6 VDC
C- -37.9 VDC
Q204 E- 27.6 VDC (32)
B- 27.6
C- 38.9
Q206 D - -32.3
center pin - -100.13
other outside pin - -100.4
Q209 E 14.5 VDC (12.8)
B - 13.98 VDC
C 16.4 VDC (20)
D207 upper leg - 14.4 VDC

The junction between R213 and R212 is at -0.6v.

I re- pulled components and checked again. Negative rail seems way High (low however you look at it), Maybe it is pulling down positive rail? I don't have any other boards connected will they influence readings?? Very little current drw from mains, as expected.

Guys and gals -- I am stuck and don't have enough knowledge to know where to focus efforts on next. I suspected a diode proble because of the high (low) negative rail but they all check good (probably the fourth time I have checked those. SOrry I feel frustrated as I am stuck on step one of this project -- but I will not be defeated. But I need a wizard to point me the right way.
As always thank you!
Johnt

Whoops,

My bad, mis-spoke there about transistor. The reversed biased junction
must overcome a lot more than .6V, because it has a lot higher resistance.
Actually, it would be the reverse breakdown voltage in BJTs.

Now that that is out of the way.

USAF John, get the data sheets out and check each transistor you replaced.
Also check that the board isn't mis-printed. Did you take pics before the
replacements?

Check the polarity of the caps compared to the transistors and diodes.

I think they need some sort of load. BUT they are not negative enough.
Post Pics if someone has one of these it will help you out.

I don't have same amp and haven't look at schematic.

Hello Gang! - well it's been awhile. I was very stuck with this power supply. Oddly enough TWO SK34's were bad (yikes). anyway I bought another board from flea-bay. it was working but ugly. it was very useful to be able to compare working vs non-working.

I did some part switching but could never get the original board to work. Although the SK34's were bad swapping still did not make the unit work. the closest I can figure is the Q 201wouId not pass current and never turn on Q 203 (or visaversa) . I was able to really get into the schematic and eliminate working areas from non. quite a bit of learning accomplished. BUT in the end I switched new parts from the original to the working (e-bay) board one at a time - testing each and every component swap. SO at this point I have a "functional" power supply (8 months later. OK i admit ,I took the summer off from this)

I say "functional " in quotes cause output power is slightly low (like 44 V on the 47 V pin). Voltage at D201 is slightly low,too (50 ish V vs spec 62.5 V) . I haven't switched over diodes yet but that is next. Not sure if these differences will be fixed by the swap.

MTF's long post above was my constant companion as I went through this - I feel like I almost understand it.

I'm pretty exited about progress (however slow)

I did find a source for SK34's (i ordered 4, just in case)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2SK34-Tran...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Hopfully more successfull posts , as we go along

Tschuus
John

Zeb, MTF et al, today was a milestone and I moved my SX3800 and 3900 (clean, virginal, some recapping) into my integral garage meaning they are now in the pipeline for restore. The following trans went obsolete

these:
***************!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
757-2SA1930(Q,M) pnp to-220 bce 180v 2a 20w 200mhz 50-320hfe 200mhz nsa driver
757-2SC5171(Q,M) npn to-220 bce 180v 2a 20w 200mhz 50-320hfe 200mhz nsa driver
***************!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and the discontinuation notice states that TTA (or C) 004B are the manu recomended replacements.

Has this ever been investigated or will I be the first? (oddly I have a bunch in stock as I needed some for an STA-2250)

I am in the info gathering stage right now and am gathering up my replacement path....

any insight appreciated...

Hello Gang! - well it's been awhile. I was very stuck with this power supply. Oddly enough TWO SK34's were bad (yikes). anyway I bought another board from flea-bay. it was working but ugly. it was very useful to be able to compare working vs non-working.

I did some part switching but could never get the original board to work. Although the SK34's were bad swapping still did not make the unit work. the closest I can figure is the Q 201wouId not pass current and never turn on Q 203 (or visaversa) . I was able to really get into the schematic and eliminate working areas from non. quite a bit of learning accomplished. BUT in the end I switched new parts from the original to the working (e-bay) board one at a time - testing each and every component swap. SO at this point I have a "functional" power supply (8 months later. OK i admit ,I took the summer off from this)

I say "functional " in quotes cause output power is slightly low (like 44 V on the 47 V pin). Voltage at D201 is slightly low,too (50 ish V vs spec 62.5 V) . I haven't switched over diodes yet but that is next. Not sure if these differences will be fixed by the swap.

MTF's long post above was my constant companion as I went through this - I feel like I almost understand it.

I'm pretty exited about progress (however slow)

I did find a source for SK34's (i ordered 4, just in case)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2SK34-Transistor-Silicon-NPN-CASE-TO92-MAKE-Toshiba/401410617321?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Hopfully more successfull posts , as we go along

Tschuus
John
Was wondering if you ever got this 3800 working? I recently purchased a working 3800, but I'm concerned about the known issue of excessive heat in these units. I purchased a new one of these back in 1980 and I had issues with it and after 2 repair shop fixes, I gave up when it happened again. I don't know what I did with that receiver. So when a guy had this working 3800 for sale I grabbed it. But I am so concerned about this blowing I'm afraid to run it for long periods. I'd like to learn to work on these, but this is to much for me. Is there anyone out there that could do the fixes for me recommended by MTF in these posts and what would it cost me? Thanks guys.

Attachments

• IMG_0671.jpeg
    IMG_0671.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0683.jpeg
    IMG_0683.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
757-2SA1930(Q,M) pnp to-220 bce 180v 2a 20w 200mhz 50-320hfe 200mhz nsa driver
757-2SC5171(Q,M) npn to-220 bce 180v 2a 20w 200mhz 50-320hfe 200mhz nsa driver

Those transistors are part of a repair list, as opposed to a must replace list.
They are high speed drivers and MUST be high speed. Count yourself lucky if yours are in good shape.

There are only 4 transistors that are replaced on the power amp board. They have a thicker center collector lead and are replaced with TO-126 transistors with optional heat sinks.

Back
Top Bottom