Return of the original Miniwatt SET ( APPJ )

I just picked up a used APPJ PA0901A (basically a miniwatt n3) off of ebay, hooked it up and was instantly blown away by what I heard. This is with the stock tubes! The detail, resolution and liquid-like smoothness is incredible. This was coming from tripath t-amp (Indeed TA2020) which I liked so much, it held off the likes of a parasound zamp, Yamaha RX-z9 and a crown xls 2000. I went back and forth a few times w/ the ta2020, but couldn't stop playing the APPJ. Using this amp sitting about 4ft from a pair of 87db/6ohm MB Quart Vera VS05 bookshelf speakers

What now?! Well, now I'm looking for a miniwatt sounding amp with about 50 watts :) I need an amp that sounds as good as this with some more power for those times music listening is accompanied by some adult beverages :)

Or more efficient speakers. ;) :)

You're probably right, but I won't be parting with the veras anytime soon :music:

On a side note, this new tube amp has me very curious in tube amps...I've been scouring the web for some slightly higher power alternatives, such as the MP-301 Mk3 and norh se9 among single ended types.

However, there appears to be a newest version of the miniwatt type tube amp here: The APPJ PA1501A http://www.amazon.com/APPJ-PA1501A-6AD10-Amplifier-silver/dp/B00W4NK3BW
Not much info, but it looks very interesting!

The newer version of the MW/APPJ doesn't claim to be single ended and I'm not familiar with it's tubes.

With flea watt SET amps it's all about that first watt as that's where most of the power lies. Adding a few more watts can make little difference if any.

I've got a Rotel EL84 single ended amp that's rated at 10 wpc yet it has less usable power and won't play as loud as my 3 watt Bottleheads.

A high power SET amp is sort of an oxymoron and goes against the grain of it's intended purpose.

I once owned 84 db Aerial Acoustic speakers powered by a 150 watt Classe SS amp. Once I bought a pair full range single driver Tektons powered by the MW I wasted no time in selling the Aerials/Classe.

With high efficiency speakers a couple of good watts is more than enough.

I've heard the Hornshoppe Horns powered by my 2.5 watt MW S1 play at 100 dbs with no distortion. Those back loaded Fostex based horns are 93 dbs but pick up a few more due their mechanical efficiency.

Is the 4 tube Gemtune an SET? Or is it the 3 tube version? Which version can the diode mod be performed on and how is it done? The audiophile talk site seems to no longer exist so the links don't work.

I have a 4 tube version. I'm curious about 3 tube version for the extra watt and more common tunes.

The diode mod was featured on the Hornshoppe Horns forum. Probably archived by now but it may still be out there.

Substitute Russian 6P1p-EV for Chinese 6P1 and WE 403B for Chinese 6J1.

Last edited:
Im gonna use my new MWII APPJ for my tv sound.
rear panel audio out to MW to those new PIO spkrs everyone likes and that I bought awhile back. should sound much better than orig tv audio, BLAH!!!!

edit; needs a preamp for any sound from speakes. OK so will the one I built SS kit several yrs ago. Been using it with my TPA3116 amp for tv sound. It works great.
hoping the MW will ebe better

Last edited:
Just came across this thread when searching around for tube rolling, and I registered just to add that this is one little phenom when paired with the right speakers. I've had mine since they first came out (version 1, four tube variant). Had it packed away for a couple years, and brought it out recently just for fun into my main system (JBL 4345 speakers). These speakers are quite efficient at 93+db and I can firmly say this little amp is a beast on performance. I've got a few tube amps here and my wife and I ran through all of them, and she ranked this little guy #1 as most emotionally engaging (and I agree!), with the main Lamm tube system being the best performer and more "being there" in the concert hall sound but not necessarily preferable in terms of engagement (as my wife said, the difference was sitting at a performance versus someone performing for her... that's a big statement). I have a Prima Luna Premium Integrated HP (EL-34s and KT-150's), and with these speakers the Miniwatt kills it, hands down. I purchased the Prima Luna for a pair of speakers that are not efficient in a 2nd system and would typically required a SS powerhouse (and it sounds more linear, obviously a lot more powerful, but sounds much closer to a solid state amp vs the Miniwatt). On digital there is plenty of amplification with the Miniwatt, and on my analog setup, I have to turn it up almost all the way given the lower signal level (but zero distortion even when I do that). I'm using WE403B and the -EV tubes as most have suggested here. as a point of reference I've heard smaller speakers this amp sounds horrible with given they're just not efficient enough, so it's efficiency and not size that matters. The Miniwatt comfortably drives the the JBL with ease (including the 18" woofers) and really really makes them sing. Pic attached, the Miniwatt takes on the lower two racks of equipment...

19017985042_3f15017f9e_h.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome and what a great first post. You've got some excellent gear.

It's probably hard for some to imagine how capable a $200 amp can be with expensive speakers but this lilliputian driving Lowthers has more than once brought tears to my eyes.

@bluestream.

Looks like a real 'David and Goliath' comparison to me. ;) :yes:

Thank you for sharing your observations.

The Quads have a tough impedance curve for a SE amp.

Be interested to hear your thoughts on this match.

A lot of amps have trouble with the wild impedance curve, and the capacitive load.

I almost smoked the first amp I tried with them - my old NAD 3020. Which is odd, because the first time I heard Quads around 1980, an NAD 3020 was driving them, so it was the first one I tried. Luckily I turned it off in time! It's in my wife's kitchen setup now, driving Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s. I was fearful of trying my Hafler DH-220, but went ahead after I read in the manual that the DH-220 can deliver 10 amperes into a short circuit! The Hafler worked fine, and sounded great.

My Heathkit UA-1s probably need more work, as they sound quite rolled-off on top. My Luxman MB-3045s sound great with the Quads, but have had an astonishingly high failure rate. They probably need a top-to-bottom restoration.

My newer Luxman L-505u has no trouble with them, and is undoubtedly the best-protected amp I've ever owned. I've heard that the Quads prefer amps with feedback, and that SETs don't generally do well with them. But this is too cheap not to try, and hopefully too small to do damage.

I'll let y'all know how it goes in a few weeks. I ordered some Svetlana 6P1P-EVs and WE 300Bs for it, too. My results may not mean much with regard to other speakers, though...

Back
Top Bottom