REVIEW: Dual 1019 rebuilt by fixmydual.com (bohhey)

I too am considering picking up a 1019 from Bill.

I'd be paying about what I'd pay for a Rega RP1; I want the dual more but I feel like more people would recommend I get the RP1. Any words of advice/encouragement to push me in the right direction?

Also, Can anyone with Bill's plinth and dust cover confirm that a record can play with the dust cover down?

Get the Dual. In addition to the great sound and soul that others have described in this thread, the table will be as plug and play as it gets, as are all tables that Bill works on. I am the lucky owner of one of his 1219's and it simply sings(now I'm thinking that I'd love to try a 1019...will it never end?). Nothing beats that idler magic. And if something does happen to need attention you will have Bill in your corner. The man is a great service provider.

One major source of rumble is the annular ball thrust bearing used in all rim-drive (and most other) stacker changers, the other the idler wheel and bearing. This was greatly reduced with the later (& 'better') stackers but never entirely eliminated, one reason why single-play-only players without the ring of balls have better numbers.

Since this thread was first posted I've bought a 1229Q from Bill to add to my 701 and 1019 that I've bought from Bill. I play them all with the dustcover down. I also bought the Blue Jeans LC-1 Low Capacitance cables to use with them. Great cables that won't break the bank. I think that the 1019 is still my favorite looking Dual but they all sound great in their on way. I don't notice any rumble in my "bohhey" idlers at all.

Get the Dual. In addition to the great sound and soul that others have described in this thread, the table will be as plug and play as it gets, as are all tables that Bill works on. I am the lucky owner of one of his 1219's and it simply sings(now I'm thinking that I'd love to try a 1019...will it never end?). Nothing beats that idler magic. And if something does happen to need attention you will have Bill in your corner. The man is a great service provider.

All so true. Bill knows how to ship a turntable and 20 minutes after unpacking it your playing records.

I got a 1229 from Bill about a year ago. Luckily for me, his shop is about 5 minutes from where I work so I got to go over it in person with him. Really cool guy.

@Joshewah
Mine has the walnut case and dustcover that he has made for them and I play it with the dust cover down. I just figure it helps keeps the dust off the record as it plays.

Bill may be a nice guy but I have had less than stellar experiences both times I gave him business. That's all I will say here - PM if you want more details.

In all fairness to Bill, I've bought three turntables from him over the last three years and have had stellar experiences. PM me if you want more details.

Bill may be a nice guy but I have had less than stellar experiences both times I gave him business. That's all I will say here - PM if you want more details.

I too have had nothing but positive experiences with Bill and his products. He answered my emails promptly, sent me items that he didn't charge me for, and overall provided an experience that would encourage me to buy more tables from him even though I don't need them. He took the time to discuss exactly what I was looking for and never once did he try to sell me anything that I didn't need.

In the past I have had two old Duals. Neither one has been satisfactory. They are like German anything, always something that needs attention, without real ownership gratification. My 1219 would also require a extended warmup of the motor to play correctly. I have a 22 year old German motorcycle, that is a constant source of frustration and expense. Just about to put it out to pasture.

In the past I have had two old Duals. Neither one has been satisfactory. They are like German anything, always something that needs attention, without real ownership gratification. My 1219 would also require a extended warmup of the motor to play correctly. I have a 22 year old German motorcycle, that is a constant source of frustration and expense. Just about to put it out to pasture.

Any piece of vintage audio equipment will need service sooner or later. The three Duals that I own were refurbished by Bill at fixmydual.com and have brought me and my ears owner gratification.

Any piece of vintage audio equipment will need service sooner or later. The three Duals that I own were refurbished by Bill at fixmydual.com and have brought me and my ears owner gratification.

Spent many hours cleaning, re-lubing adjusting this and that and still something went out of adjustment monthly it seemed.

BTW: I am as German as a human can be. My old German surname is Hausenkamp. And as OCD as they come. Maybe that is my problem :scratch2:

I have nothing but GREAT comments for Bill --He rebuilt a 1219 for me and is always quick to respond when I contact him.

I loathed my 1970 BMW R-60/5 and loved my 1985 'Flyjng brick' 4 FWIW.

The reason I asked if one of Bill's 1019 with his plinth can play with the dust cover down is because the 1019 only has a 10 inch platter and some plinths are small so the over hanging 12" record extends to or beyond the plinth preventing play of the record with the cover down. For the person that asked why I'd want it down during play is to prevent dust (obvious), and to prevent the possible fall of objects on the playing record (not a high probability to happen but it's peace of mind.

Wow, so there is a lot of mixed opinions on this table. Really doesn't help my decision. :/

Last edited:
I think you are correct that a 12" record overhangs the edge of the standard 1019 base. Send an email to Bill from his website or call him. He would be glad to answer your question.

I personally remove the dust covers from my tables while playing records. Others do not. That is just my personal preference.

Last edited:
Wow, so there is a lot of mixed opinions on this table. Really doesn't help my decision. :/

Looks to me like the majority of opinions are very positive. Whatever concerns you have should be addressed to Bill, who will make sure if you buy a table from him it is right for your needs. I just don't see how you can go wrong purchasing a 1019, or any other table from him.

Had to jump in on this thread to say that (negative comments aside) it warms my heart to hear so much interest and so many positive "reviews" of the 1019. It has been my turntable since I bought it new (previous TT being a Grrd Lab 80). Though I have seldom (if ever) used it as a changer - I removed the mechanism that trips the changer early on - it has been totally reliable through the Shure V15 series cartridges from the Type II to the Type IV, now installed with a JICO SAS. All I have ever done was to lubricate the TT and motor bearings.
I am wondering, what does anyone know about tonearm lubrication? Mine seems to be OK and tracks the Type IV/JICO fine, but still I'm curious...

Looks to me like the majority of opinions are very positive. Whatever concerns you have should be addressed to Bill, who will make sure if you buy a table from him it is right for your needs. I just don't see how you can go wrong purchasing a 1019, or any other table from him.

I agree with you. I'll never part with the 1019 that I bought from Bill. Or the 1229Q or 701.

Back
Top Bottom