Review of MA 5200

I wish I could demo this one against one of the higher-up integrateds like the MAC6700 or MA7900. Just to determine the difference in sound between the two amp sections. Debating on going with the 5200 or ponying up more for the 6700/7900.

I wish I could demo this one against one of the higher-up integrateds like the MAC6700 or MA7900. Just to determine the difference in sound between the two amp sections. Debating on going with the 5200 or ponying up more for the 6700/7900.

I listened to a 5200 yesterday. Afterwords I turned to the dealer and remarked "well that's not really one of the better McIntosh products I've heard I'm afraid". He kind of nodded his head in agreement. I think the additional investment in the 6700 would be money well spent - you're basically getting a C48 preamp and an autoformer amp in the same box.

I listened to a 5200 yesterday. Afterwords I turned to the dealer and remarked "well that's not really one of the better McIntosh products I've heard I'm afraid". He kind of nodded his head in agreement. I think the additional investment in the 6700 would be money well spent - you're basically getting a C48 preamp and an autoformer amp in the same box.

I am agreeing with your sentiment more and more the more research I do. Since this is intended to be a "lifetime" amp, I think ponying up the extra money will be worth it. No dealer has both the MA5200 and MAC6700/MA7900 to do a direct competition demo, but the times I've heard the higher up autoformer macs I've always come away more impressed than the 5200, regardless of speakers. The extra 100 watts will be helpful once I'm in a bigger place with no neighbors to worry about :)

It's come down to the MAC6700 vs the MA7900 for me, and I'm leaning towards the 7900 just because you can stream radio stations through so many services now, but there is no replacing a 5 band EQ.

I am agreeing with your sentiment more and more the more research I do. Since this is intended to be a "lifetime" amp, I think ponying up the extra money will be worth it. No dealer has both the MA5200 and MAC6700/MA7900 to do a direct competition demo, but the times I've heard the higher up autoformer macs I've always come away more impressed than the 5200, regardless of speakers. The extra 100 watts will be helpful once I'm in a bigger place with no neighbors to worry about :)

It's come down to the MAC6700 vs the MA7900 for me, and I'm leaning towards the 7900 just because you can stream radio stations through so many services now, but there is no replacing a 5 band EQ.

The MA7900 will definitely be a "lifetime amp". After all, being too heavy to lift by yourself is the best way to stave off upgrades! :banana:

But seriously, I think that's the best move. I almost bought a 5200 and am glad I didn't, I'm not saying it's a bad product Mc shouldn't have made but I think it's definitely an entry level product that isn't in the same conversation as the autoformer integrateds.

I wanted to chime in to report that my MA5200 is doing great with a pair of 4 ohm Thiel speakers. But due to some of the concerns on this forum, I did contact both McIntosh prior to purchasing.

McIntosh: "We run 4 ohm speakers with it all the time".

I asked why it doesn't include a 4ohm rating and was basically told it was a marketing decision. Mac has never posted 4ohm ratings, and to report the 200 watt 4ohm rating would compete more than they'd like with the more expensive autoformer integrateds.

But also, they still rate these things for in-wall, and a 4ohm load does generate a little heat. But less than I've experienced with other amps.

The 5200 rocks and sounds fabulous with a pair of 4ohm current-hungry Thiels. Anyone not choosing the ma5200 because of the non-published 4ohm rating is really missing out unless planning an in-wall install.

I wanted to chime in to report that my MA5200 is doing great with a pair of 4 ohm Thiel speakers. But due to some of the concerns on this forum, I did contact both McIntosh prior to purchasing.

McIntosh: "We run 4 ohm speakers with it all the time".

I asked why it doesn't include a 4ohm rating and was basically told it was a marketing decision. Mac has never posted 4ohm ratings, and to report the 200 watt 4ohm rating would compete more than they'd like with the more expensive autoformer integrateds.

But also, they still rate these things for in-wall, and a 4ohm load does generate a little heat. But less than I've experienced with other amps.

The 5200 rocks and sounds fabulous with a pair of 4ohm current-hungry Thiels. Anyone not choosing the ma5200 because of the non-published 4ohm rating is really missing out unless planning an in-wall install.
Thanks for posting this. I've wondered about the 8ohm-only rating. BTW, I'm pretty sure they have posted 4ohm ratings on other products in the past.

I own an MA5200. I bought it in June 2016, brand new, from an authorized dealer. It is a very cool looking amp. It has a very good sound. A "remarkable sound stage" compared to Marantz and Denon solid state amps (both newer and older solid state vintages) that also have transformerless output stages. The sound is smooth and warm but it can rock as hard as you want. Have NO doubt. It produces just enough highs that you don't want more but it is not bright. The overall sound is very well balanced and pretty transparent to the source (not an overly colored sound). The amp really sounds louder than the 100 Watt rating but I have done no measurements. It did not surprise me at all that an earlier post referenced a measurement of 130 Watts at 8 ohms. I would easily have guessed that. I run a pair of Klipsch Heresy III speakers with it. It can get loud.

I was told by McIntosh (Mr. C.H. himself) on the phone, in a pre-sale conversation, that you can run 4 ohm speakers with it, and that the phono MM circuitry was essentially the same as on the other integrated amps; though it has no "adjustments" on that phone stage. I am unknowing if the more expensive integrated McIntosh models have phono MM adjustments. I have no complaint with the phone stage as is. But a lot of people like to upgrade phono stages of many amps for a variety of reasons. I just use the one in the amp (LAZY) so if it doesn't sound good, then I don't buy the amp.

You will not miss the absence of tone controls. Not one bit! You can listen to this amp all day and not experience fatigue from it's contribution to your system's sound. It is a one person lift (though my wife insisted on helping me). The weight of an auto transformer unit was prohibitive for me. I do not want a 75 pound unit. Autotransformers are cool but they are too heavy for my taste. To each his own.

Are there different sounding new McIntosh amps available? Yes, but I auditioned several McIntosh models (some at crazy price points). And I came away with this one clearly feeling that, while it's weight helped sell me, it's sound was "very much in the same sonic family" as the more expensive offerings, including the separate amp / power amp units.

I use a Rega 3 with an Exact cartridge and a white belt. I listen, about 85% of the time, to vinyl old and new. I have been a "HiFi" owner since 1977. So, experience wise, I am not as expert as some but I know more than others. I have had my fair share of gear (good and bad) over the years and I am pretty happy with the sound of this amp.

Time will tell how it holds up against past and future amps. In full disclosure, my MA5200 had to go in for a warranty repair a few weeks ago (6 months old) and I am waiting to get it back. I am not expecting to have any problem with resolving the issue. Part of the reason that I bought McIntosh is their reputation for customer support. They return emailed me promptly when the amp had symptoms and advised about the action to take.

Last edited:
Well, today I was notified that my MA5200 was finished. The amp had "bricked" (it would not power up beyond standby) after a few months of normal use. The warranty repair simply required "updating the firmware" and "resetting" the amp. All other diagnostic tests were normal so no hardware issues. I will pick it up before the weekend as the McIntosh authorized service center is just a few hours drive from me. They offered to ship it but I declined putting it through that rigor. Although I have not picked the unit up yet, I will say that the McIntosh factory headquarters phone and email support for this warranty transaction was pretty impressive, as was the staff and service at authorized repair center!

The dealer that I purchased the unit from was not the easiest to work with in seeking a warranty repair remedy. I will not buy from that dealer again. So, I had to bypass that dealer and go directly through McIntosh to facilitate the repair.

McIntosh did not disappoint at all. They were on it! Excellent customer service all the way. I received assistance from several people including Chuck H., Ron C. and Sharon in service. Also I talked with a lead technician the factory named Landon. Landon communicated directly with the lead tech at the authorized service center. All of this hands on service with just a three week turnaround (over the Christmas holiday no less) will make me buy McIntosh again. They really stand behind the product!!

Last edited:
Looks like McIntosh gets things together in recent years, unlike the piece of junk they made, the MA6900 I got years ago.

Picked up my MA5200 today and this evening I fired it up. No issues. It sounds LOVELY. Absolutely SUPERB! This is a great amplifier.

Last edited:
I found this forum a few weeks ago while I searched for reviews/info about the McIntosh MA5200. I just got it yesterday with a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3. I listened for five hours last night. It was already late in the evening so I didn't go past 30% on the dial. I've never heard such beautiful, complete, full sound at such low level. In fact, I turned it down to 20% at the end of my listening session and I could still hear everything. Every part of the music was still there but at a lower volume. I've never experienced this with my previous audio gear. I can't imagine how amazing it will sound when properly broken in and at a little louder level. I haven't even tried any hires music. I'm currently streaming from a Sonos Connect through optical cable, Deezer 1411kbps FLAC. I will update this post after I spend more time listening.

Little background. I've never had a proper amp, stereo speaker pair. I've owned various wireless speakers from B&W (Zeppelin, A7), B&O (Beolit 15), Bose (many models), and currently a Naim Mu-so. I also use headphones (Senheiser HD650, Share SE846) and two amps (one SS, one tube). Without getting too wordy, I've learned what audio quality means to me. I also know that what sounds beautiful to me might make someone else's ears bleed. It's useful to read specs and reviews, but in the end, only my ears can decide. So, based on my own ears (listened to everything available at Magnolia Design Center), I found the MA 5200 with 805 D3 met my needs. My budget was $10K. I got the 805 D3's for $5K and the MA5200 for $4.5K.

Is there better equipment and better deals? Of course! But I'm not willing/able to keep looking. I'm into the music, not the never-ending quest for audio perfection. Is there a "better" integrated amp for the money? Sure, but it's not a McIntosh! I call my MA5200 my "Baby Mac" because it's the smallest of all McIntosh integrateds, but it's also the most minimalist, which is also something I wanted in an amp.

I purchased an MA5200 in November as an upgrade from my Yamaha A-S2000. Couldn't be more pleased. Beautiful effortless lush sound from Martin Logan bookshelf speakers. It's in my office, runs all day every day. Using mainly audio CDs and Internet Radio (Grace Digital tuner), and more recently FM and HD FM (Sony XDR-F1HD tuner) as program sources. Beginning to look at the MAC6700 as an upgrade -- but it is far from a done deal. Overall, very happy with my MA5200.

Hello, I am on the market to replace a vintage Luxman r3030. I have listened to Arcam a39, Naim nait 5si, Yamaha as 1100, Marantz PM 8005 and Creek evo 100. I have auditioned to the MA 5200 today and was verry pleased with the warm sound and open soundstage. I think I found the answer...I will go back tomorow with some vinyls to evaluate the phono preamp with Rega P 3 elys 2.

If all goes well, I Will close the deal. The amp will be paired with Monitor Audio silver 8. Any suggestion for speaker cables will be welcome, dealer suggested shunyata venom cables....

I think I found the answer...I will go back tomorow with some vinyls to evaluate the phono preamp with Rega P 3 elys 2.

I'd love to hear your report back. I've been demoing various Rega TTs (the Planar 3, RP6 and RP8). I'd love your thoughts on how your RP3 played through that phono pre!

I'd love to hear your report back. I've been demoing various Rega TTs (the Planar 3, RP6 and RP8). I'd love your thoughts on how your RP3 played through that phono pre!

Well, I have picked up my new MA5200 a couple of days ago and plugged-it with the Planar three and the Monitor silver 8. My first audition was with the Rega TT...It is difficult for me to evaluate the phono preamp, it sounds good maybe a with a little more detailed sound than my previous one from the Luxman. Sound is not to bright, as a matter of fact maybe lacking a bit in the highs....Bass is there, not to soft or tight.

I played Ella Fitzgerald on vinyl and compared with High res (same version) from Tidal...I could ear the difference, the vinyl was much less dynamic, specially with her voice...

Although I would still listen to the high res version, I prefer the vinyl which is much gentler and relax...But is that what vinyl is all about?

As for the McIntosh ma5200 sound, it is not quite like my vintage Luxman with loudness, but still on the warm side especially at low volume (without any tone adjustments). I wouldn't have been able to listen at low volume without loudness on my Luxman.

When I demoed the MA5200 at the store, It was paired with Ryan 630 floorstanders and I have to say that it sound better than with my Silver 8. The voice of Shirley Horn voice and her piano were so real, it was like she was in the room with us....

Hopefully, the sound will improve with new speaker cables, any suggestions will be more than welcome.

I will keep you informed, I still have some reading and set-up to fine tune with the MC...

Back
Top Bottom