Review of the 'Quest 20' Ortofon/Digitrac

I've always wondering about that. So why do they need a break-in? What exactly happens?

The flexible stuff around the cantilever needs to loosen up a bit so it can move more freely. Some cartridges seem to take longer than others to break in, can't say how long the Ortofon takes as mine still only as a few hours on it.

The cartridge is back on fleaBay. It can get confusing as there are a couple of them. We need the Digitrac 200 NE. Still $20 plus free ship. Good luck.

Interesting that he is selling the 190 SBX (spherical) model for the same price.

I'd be interested in his $80 AudioTechnica SS445E/U (AT132EP) carts if they cost less and/or I was more certain that they would work.

Second cartridge STILL not received!

Well, I ordered two and have still just received one. And they did hit my card for forty bucks. Looks like I'll have to call them in the morning...............

Sending second cartridge

Called Jettsales this morning, they're sending out the second cartridge this morning. Nice guys! They also have a few Audio Technica cartridges for sale, mostly older models, will have to check them out also.

i am now listening to my new favorite cartridge- the Quest 20. this thing is fantastic, and i'm going to set up another one just for the heck of it. i was hoping my digitrac would work, but it didn't, it only had one channel functioning. but what a deal....

What really blew me away was the price - $29.00 for the OM20 and OM30. Strangely, the OM10 was $32. However, compare that price to what the factory styli are going for elsewhere, and I'm thinking "bargain!". So, I ordered up an OM30. It should be here next week, so we'll see how it fares.

So how did the Jico fare?

Ever since reading this and the original thread on the Digitrac I've been looking forward to really hearing what it can do. Having just finished breaking in the Silver and Gold Grados I have time now to play with the Quest 20.

First mounted on the SL-1210 I didn't really care a lot for the sound. The midrange seemed a little too forward for my taste and sometimes edgy, I know I'm picky.

So I went ahead and mounted it on the Goldring Rega P2 clone. The Rega is a warmer sounding table compared to the Technics and with the Digitrac stylus mounted on an OMB5 body it sounds much more full bodied with a warm midrange and lively at the same time. Now this is more like it!

Detail wise the Digitrac is far better than the OMB5 stylus, not as good as the high end Grados but then it's a lot lot cheaper too. This is a pleasant and easy cartridge to listen to for long periods. That's one quality I liked about the Grados and probably why I'm liking the Digitrac.

I may have done a dumb thing. I went ahead and ordered an OM20 cartridge for the second body and to compare the Ortofon stylus to the Digitrac.

Should I have ordered the Super version? Is the Digitrac stylus or body comparable to Super or plain OM20?

Chairspud- How does the "Quest 20" compare to the Denon DL110? I've been using the Q20 for a couple months on my old Technics DD withe great results- I think it's better than my "longhorned" Grado Black on the same table. I had a DL110 but had a stylus mishap with it during the summer, I have a (backordered) replacement coming. The one thing I've noticed is that I need to clean the stylus fairly often.

Should I have ordered the Super version? Is the Digitrac stylus or body comparable to Super or plain OM20?

I think people have reported good results with 200NE stylus on all types of OM bodies, and the current Concordes. The stylus is a little loose on the earlier LM bodies, and the LM-era Concorde bodies. I currently have one on a Super OM body on my SL-1700Mk2 and it sounds great.

Chairspud- How does the "Quest 20" compare to the Denon DL110? I've been using the Q20 for a couple months on my old Technics DD withe great results- I think it's better than my "longhorned" Grado Black on the same table. I had a DL110 but had a stylus mishap with it during the summer, I have a (backordered) replacement coming. The one thing I've noticed is that I need to clean the stylus fairly often.

Ooops sorry to hear about the stylus mishap, if you were speaking of the DL-110 stylus needing cleaned often, I noticed that too.

Funny you asked because I was wondering about the DL-110 today and thinking the Quest 20 might sound a ltlle less detailed but warmer throughout the midrange and more listenable or musical. The DL-110 has that vivid soundstage and really puts on a show.

I guess I'm telling on my lack of vinyl cleaning! I've needed to clean the Q-OM20 stylus regularly. Needless to say, I'm more careful these days..Your impressions of the Denon Vs the Quest OM 20 are much the same as mine.

I think people have reported good results with 200NE stylus on all types of OM bodies, and the current Concordes. The stylus is a little loose on the earlier LM bodies, and the LM-era Concorde bodies. I currently have one on a Super OM body on my SL-1700Mk2 and it sounds great.

Thanks for the info SA-708, I feel better about the OM20 choice but still don't really get where the 200NE fits in as a Super or not and what the whole Super thing is.

So how did the Jico fare?

I really like it alot. Its early yet, and likely some break in going on as it has a slightly veiled sound to it, but it has potent bass and is smooth from the mids to the highs. For $35 shipped, this was a good deal that could get better once the stylus is broken in.

ChairSpud
The Super OM20`s body is electrically the same as the Digitrac 200NE´s body.

The stylus on the earlier OM20 and the later Super OM20 is the same. The stylus on the Digitrac 200NE is a little different regarding compliance, where the 200NE is 30cu and the OM20 is 25. It was also mentioned that the 200NE uses a nude natural diamond where OM20 has a nude diamond.
Interesting if there is any audible difference.

Normally I use an OM30 which suits my liking, so I have ordered a Digitrac SE stylus, which is supposed to be a super-elliptical or a fine-line, as a spare.
/gusten

ChairSpud
The Super OM20`s body is electrically the same as the Digitrac 200NE´s body.

The stylus on the earlier OM20 and the later Super OM20 is the same. The stylus on the Digitrac 200NE is a little different regarding compliance, where the 200NE is 30cu and the OM20 is 25. It was also mentioned that the 200NE uses a nude natural diamond where OM20 has a nude diamond.
Interesting if there is any audible difference.

Normally I use an OM30 which suits my liking, so I have ordered a Digitrac SE stylus, which is supposed to be a super-elliptical or a fine-line, as a spare.
/gusten

That's what I was looking for. :thmbsp:

I just ordered 4. One for my 'naked' OM10, one for my OM3E, and 2 spares, as I have a 30 as well, and I'm not about to replace it with a 30 anytime soon (read never @ $150). Report pending.

The new Ortofon OM20 arrived a couple days ago and I've had a chance to compare it to the Digitrac 'Quest 20'.

In a side by side comparison under magnification the Digitrac diamond and cantilever are a bit more massive than an OM20. Also the Digitrac diamond shank is round with elliptical cuts where the OM20 shank is a squared cut for reduced mass.

Audibly the OM20 sounds a bit more refined with more detail and a smoother midrange. The difference is not great and maybe some might not notice it. Remember, I've said I'm picky.

Do I still think the Digitrac 'Quest 20' is a steal for the money? Yes, but have to be honest, its not quite equal to a true OM20.

A short review of the Digitrac 300SE stylus on an OM body compaired to OM30.
It fitted just fine after cutting off the little plastic flip.

The overall impression is that it is very neutral, very similar to the 30. But there are some quite audible differences: the resolution is quite a bit better, the high end is more right sounding and the location of instruments in the soundstage is also better.

It does pick up a little more surface noise and clicks as if it´s riding a little higher than the 30.
The 300SE is fitted with a nude genuine diamond. I do not know if it is a fine-line or a sharper cut elliptical, there was no spec following the needle. At turntableneedles they think it´s a fine-line but I´m not sure.

Anyway it´s an extremely fine sounding stylus, time will tell after a little more avaluation if is as good as the first impression shows.

/gusten

Well, I think I lucked out. All four arrived in a box, and two of them work:banana:. One stylus for my 10, an xtra one for my 30, and one P-mount adapter will be used for a secret project. :naughty: :smoke:

Back
Top Bottom