REVIEW: Schiit Modi DAC $99

Thanks! As far as controlling volume... It is always suggested and highly recommend that when you hook up the DAC to put the volume at max in your computer then control it at your stereo. What you can do is get the IR control apple offers, it looks like an iPod or if you have an iDevice just get the remote app to control iTunes. But it's better to just control the volume at your stereo and keep it high on your computer. By the way... What music player do you use? I highly recommend Audivarna +... It work along with iTunes or on its own. You can get a 15 day trial, it's usually $75 but they have it on sale for $49 till January 5... You should check it out for your Mac.

I know that it's recommended to control volume with the preamp/amp; however, I can't do that on this system because it is not easily accessible. I use VLC on the OS X machines and Foobar2000 on windows.

I know that it's recommended to control volume with the preamp/amp; however, I can't do that on this system because it is not easily accessible. I use VLC on the OS X machines and Foobar2000 on windows.

I see.... That's the only suggestions I have at the top of my head... Let us know how you like the Modi when you get it! :yes:

An excellent write up and review. Thanks for taking the time. I'm going to order one. I have a question about software volume control. I normally control my volume via my Mac's software control. I suspect that I'd lose that ability with a USB DAC? Since I do not have a remote on the system, I do need a way to control volume from my computer.

If you mean being able to control the volume with your computer, you still can with a USB DAC.
If you mean the auto out-put leveling volume control built into the media player, then no.
The auto leveling seems to only work through the headphone jack. So if you are using a DAC and have a song/album recorded louder/quieter than some of the others, it will play louder/quieter through the receiver.
This means you will need to turn the volume up or down either via the receiver or the computer physically.

I have not been able to get mine to work with Ubuntu.

reply to my email re: problems running under Ubuntu:

Sorry, as stated in the FAQ, we don't support Linux on any of our DACs.

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder
Bummer. I am happy with using Ubuntu as my dedicated server, so I guess this Schiit is not for me. :D :tears:

I plugged mine in for the first time today, I like it. For that price I think it is an excellent value. Right now I just have it hooked up with a printer cable and a 20 something year old set of RCA's that probably came with a VCR. It will be interesting to hear it with a decent set of cables. But so far so good :thmbsp:

I plugged mine in for the first time today, I like it. For that price I think it is an excellent value. Right now I just have it hooked up with a printer cable and a 20 something year old set of RCA's that probably came with a VCR. It will be interesting to hear it with a decent set of cables. But so far so good :thmbsp:

Try an Audioquest forest USB cable, it's $29 and its a HUGE upgrade from a printer cable. If you want a nicer one, kimber Kables offers a better one for $50. Check em out! :yes::yes:

Try an Audioquest forest USB cable, it's $29 and its a HUGE upgrade from a printer cable. If you want a nicer one, kimber Kables offers a better one for $50. Check em out! :yes::yes:

Uh, isn't a USB cable a USB cable? (Last time I checked it was. I know USB cables come with different connectors for things that require them such as Micro, box-type, etc). This strange suggestion of uber-expensive USB cables is making me question the DAC.:scratch2: What is the exact difference between a $30 or $50 USB cable and a similar one for say $5? Also, does this DAC require an expensive USB cable to function correctly? I was thinking of getting one of these DACs for use someday, but not if the operating cost is the same as the purchase price or worse.:scratch2:

Uh, isn't a USB cable a USB cable? (Last time I checked it was. I know USB cables come with different connectors for things that require them such as Micro, box-type, etc). This strange suggestion of uber-expensive USB cables is making me question the DAC.:scratch2: What is the exact difference between a $30 or $50 USB cable and a similar one for say $5? Also, does this DAC require an expensive USB cable to function correctly? I was thinking of getting one of these DACs for use someday, but not if the operating cost is the same as the purchase price or worse.:scratch2:

It is sort of like what's the difference between a $30,000 car and a $100,000 car ? Typically is has to do with the quality of the parts used to assemble the car. BUT as with all things in life you don't always get what you pay for, sometimes you get more sometimes you get less. In the case of this DAC I feel, and this is always subjective, that I received an excellent return on my investment. I have it hooked up with cheap cables and it still sounds really nice. I just tried replacing the rca cables with the ones for my CD player, a $50 set, the difference was noticeable but not overly dramatic. I'll repeat again with a more expensive usb cable and see what i see.

But PLEASE lets not turn this thread into a cable debate, those are really getting old. Lets keep this about the DAC.

I'm not sure the cable itself matters, since the only thing flowing is a digital signal. Maybe there are tighter tolerances for the plug ends...Maybe.

And here goes another informative thread right down the shitter, have at it cable trolls I'm done with this thread.

so I am thinking of getting on of these to use with a laptop and external hard drive for my music server. in our old house the computer was in the same room as my main system , now its in a different room and I am tired of not having access to my digital library. is anyone using the Schiit modi with a laptop. I am not the most computer savvy person out there so does anyone have any suggestions or experience running a laptop sever? do they work well as a server? I was happy with my tower/ pro-ject usb dac box so I think the laptop with schiit modi would be perfect for me. any suggestions?

I use a laptop a my dedicated music server. It works extremely well and barely uses any of the systems resources. This is not a new computer by any means either. The BIOS says 2006 but I think this computer first came out in 2003.

I use a laptop a my dedicated music server. It works extremely well and barely uses any of the systems resources. This is not a new computer by any means either. The BIOS says 2006 but I think this computer first came out in 2003.

thanks for the info, yeah a laptop just seems like such an easy solution. my cd player is on the firtz plus as I said I wanted access to my digital library so I think a laptop would solve both of my problems. I can find laptops pretty cheap for one a couple of years old.

so back to the Schiit. I also like the looks of the bifrost, well really I love the idea that it can be upgraded as DAC tech progresses. so a quick question for those of you who have both, could you compare the two for us, is the bifrost worth the extra cost? I'm thinking I am going to go with the modi first then upgrade to the bifrost later...or should I just bite the bullet and go with the bifrost straight away. thanks for the help guys!

IMO, any advantage the expensive cable might have would probably be a sub-microsecond time domain one, which is obviated by the fact that this unit is asynchronously timed.

Go ahead and use any decent USB cable.

And here goes another informative thread right down the shitter, have at it cable trolls I'm done with this thread.

Don't give up now! Tell us if there's any sonic improvement with more expensive cables once they're attached. Inquiring ears want to know.

I've been checking out there web site for a while and I like the looks of just about everything they offer.

If I could afford it, I'd have a whole pile of Schiit.

Hello Withmusic, let me educate you a little on USB cables since you seem to missing out on information. When it comes to choosing a DAC a USB cable is just not a USB cable. The difference in quality matters here a lot. Since the USB cable is the one sending all those 1s and 0s to the DAC, that the DAC then beautifully turns 0s and 1s into... MUSIC! Also, USB ports tend to be noisy, this is where a better cable comes in, to eliminate all that noise and send clean signal to the DAC. A better cable will provide better detail and better soundstage and over all better performance so it does benefit to get a nicer one. A buddy of mine let me borrow his Mapleshade USB cable and it made a whole difference than my Audioquest Forest USB cable, the mapleshade is $140 and the Audioquest is $29. Now if you want an even more technical explanation on USB cables for DACs, head over to Computer Audiophile and post the same comment you did, just wait to see what them folks over there will tell you.

thanks for the info, yeah a laptop just seems like such an easy solution. my cd player is on the firtz plus as I said I wanted access to my digital library so I think a laptop would solve both of my problems. I can find laptops pretty cheap for one a couple of years old.

so back to the Schiit. I also like the looks of the bifrost, well really I love the idea that it can be upgraded as DAC tech progresses. so a quick question for those of you who have both, could you compare the two for us, is the bifrost worth the extra cost? I'm thinking I am going to go with the modi first then upgrade to the bifrost later...or should I just bite the bullet and go with the bifrost straight away. thanks for the help guys!

If you can go straight for the Bifrost DO IT! it supports higher bit rates and has optical, coaxial and usb inputs, so you have more things to work with. Personally i got the Modi to see what Schiit was all about, and i am extremely happy i did. Im saving to get the Gungnir ($800) or the unannounced "statement" DAC that might be in the 2K range.

Back
Top Bottom