Review: Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors

forzaroma

After upgrading my amplification from a Prima Luna Prologue One to McIntosh pre and power amps (C220 and MC252 respectively) I felt that my Quad 22Ls, though excellent in their price range, were a bit outclassed and not entirely synergistic with the McIntosh components. Both the McIntosh and the Quads have laid-back, smooth, sonic characteristics and while they Quads’ smoothness worked just fine with the Prima Luna, the overall sound when matched with the McIntosh amplification was a bit too “polite”.

I spent a few months listening to speakers in the sub $10K range. I went through the usual suspects: B&W, Sonus Faber, Thiel, KEF, Revel, etc. In the end I narrowed down my choices to two brands: B&W and Sonus Faber. These two brands seemed to have a special synergy with McIntosh amps. After narrowing down my brand choices, I auditioned several speakers in each series and decided that I preferred both the sound and the looks of Sonus Faber to B&W.

The next question was “Which Sonus Faber?” I narrowed it down to the Cremona series and was left with two choices: the floor stander Cremona or the “bookshelf” Cremona Auditors. The $4K price difference was a factor, but not the deciding one. The Auditor’s imaging, wide soundstage, and “disappearing act” captivated me. Just to make sure they would work well with my system and in my listening area, I took a pair of Auditors home for a weekend audition and that sealed the deal.

auditor_pair.jpg

After I placed the order, I waited patiently for two weeks and finally the Auditors arrived. To break them in, I put them on my vintage system (where I could play them for several hours a day without driving my family crazy) and, much to my surprise, they sounded amazing just out of the box and even when I drove them with a 47 year-old Fisher 600 receiver.

Even in my vintage listening room (11’ x 14’) the soundstage was very wide, a couple of feet higher than what I was used to, and the imaging was rock steady and pinpoint. The old Fisher’s treble never sounded better. Cymbals and hi-hats sounded realistic (not like frying bacon). Voices hang in mid-air had more three-dimensionality than I have ever experienced. On some vocal tracks, if I closed my eyes, it was easy to imagine a large head hanging in mid-air a few feet in front of me. I could almost see the lips moving. Sorry I can’t describe this better, but I am not a professional reviewer.

Since they sounded so good out of the box, I can’t really say that I noticed a big change in sound after a couple of weeks of break in. And I have definitely noticed break-in in the past with other speakers.

I finally moved them to my main system and played a wide range of music using my Rega Apollo as the main source, but I also played some LPs through a Thorens TD125mkII + SME 3009 II + Audio Technical AT440mla.

After some experimentation, I found the Cremona to be quite accommodating when it comes to positioning. It’s very hard to make this speaker sound bad or image poorly. Finally I settled on the recommended positioning with the speakers approximately 9’ apart, toed-in and aimed at my ears, in an equilateral triangle geometry.

To see how they would handle some serious bass transients, I played the opening track from the “Master and Commander” soundtrack, which begins with some thunderous drums. Any concern about these speakers NEEDING a sub-woofer, were laid to rest. I consider a sub-woofer optional if you like bone-shaking bass, but definitely not necessary for 2-channel, non-HT applications. But I realize that the right amount of bass is a very personal decision based on your personal preferences, type of music, room size/configuration, etc. Perhaps the best way I can characterize the bass on the Auditors is that they never sound thin or make me think “I should really get a sub” every time I play them.

The mid-range is very sweet, perhaps a bit laid-back, which might be one of the reasons why these speakers are non-fatiguing even during long listening sessions.

The highs are silky smooth without being overbearing – a very tough balancing act. I believe a lot of credit for this goes to the Scanspeak tweeters. They might not be as exotic, or fast, as the B&W diamond series, but they are very easy to listen to.

Again and again, I was amazed by these speakers’ wide soundstage. I just love hearing sounds coming from well outside the speaker’s physical location. I also noticed that with the Auditors I hear much more of the recording room reverberations; notes seem to linger a second or so longer. The Trinity Sessions by the Cowboy Junkies is an oft talked about recording – popular with audiophiles for capturing with very simple microphone set-up the ambiance of the church in which it was played. I listened to this recording several times over the years, but I didn’t fully appreciate what everyone was talking about until I heard it on the Auditors – the brought the sense of space and ambience to the next level.

If there is one “criticism” is that these speakers make you want to increase the volume. It’s not that they don’t sound good at low volume, they do, but – like a Ferrari – they beg to be “driven” hard.

After many years in this hobby, I realized that what I value the most in a sound system is overall musicality and the kind of balance between detail and smoothness that will let you listen for hours without fatigue while maintaining a sense of excitement and liveliness.

For me the ultimate test of a system is how easy or hard it is to stop a listening session. Some high-end systems I’ve listened to sound amazing for ten minutes but, after that, I feel like giving my ears a rest. On the other hand, some systems and combinations (like the McIntosh + Quad 22L) are too smooth and can end-up being boring. Synergy is everything.

Another key factor for me is how forgiving the speakers are with less than perfect source material. A great test of such forgiveness is how well the system does with CDs from the early 80s – the kind of recordings that will make your ears bleed in some high-end systems. While the shortcomings of the recordings are still noticeable, the Cremonas don’t turn these primitive attempts at digital sound into an instrument for sonic torture. You are aware that you are not listening to a very good recording, but the Cremonas (with some help from the McIntosh, no doubt) help you overlook the recording deficiencies and let you hear the music. Buying the McIntosh and the Auditors was worth it just in terms of making a large part of my collection of vintage CDs something I’d listen to again.

At almost $5K for speakers and stands, the Cremona Auditors are not inexpensive speakers but, as other have noted before me, these speakers are definitely the sweet spot in the Sonus Faber line.

The McIntosh/Sonus Faber combination might not be the last word in speed and resolution but, considering how much I enjoy listening to it, how long I listen to it, and how reluctant I am to turn it off, I believe I’ve come very close to my preferred balance of musicality, speed, and detail.

Bravo...Thats what I like to hear people say about speakers. Damn the West coast or East coast sound. I want a speaker with no sound of its own. I want it to tell me how bad my amps are. I too, find myself turning up the vol. after listening for awhile.(could be the beer)
The bad part is, like you said. Speeks like this cost money. Thanx for the review.

jimfet said:
Bravo...Thats what I like to hear people say about speakers. Damn the West coast or East coast sound. I want a speaker with no sound of its own. I want it to tell me how bad my amps are. I too, find myself turning up the vol. after listening for awhile.(could be the beer)
The bad part is, like you said. Speeks like this cost money. Thanx for the review.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the kind reply.

I should clarify, however, that I am not calling the Auditors a neutral speaker. Sonus Fabers definitely have a "house sound" that, many would argue, is a few steps removed from neutral. I have listened to speakers that are widely regarded as neutral and very accurate and detailed. It was a very impressive listening experience - with ideal source material and for about 5-10 minutes; after that my ears started to hurt.

Obviously some people have more tolerance than others for certain types of sound, but I discovered that since I switched to McIntosh + Sonus Faber gear I listen to a lot more music without getting fatigued. I don't get the last bit of detail or speed, but I get tremendous "musicality". A perfect balance - IMO.

ForzaRoma

Well to correct myself, there is no completely neutral speaker. But that is the holy grail of the high end speaker, to get there. It just seems the closer you get the more it cost. Same with race cars. You can double the price of a car just to pick up a second a lap. It may not seem worth it to others, but that is the price of another step forward.

jimfet said:
Well to correct myself, there is no completely neutral speaker. But that is the holy grail of the high end speaker, to get there. It just seems the closer you get the more it cost. Same with race cars. You can double the price of a car just to pick up a second a lap. It may not seem worth it to others, but that is the price of another step forward.

Actually, for me the question is: do I WANT to get there?

As I mentioned, ultimate accuracy, neutrality, and realism are not my goal nor the thing I want to maximize. What I DO want to maximize is listening pleasure.

Using your analogy with race cars - as much as I admire and like watching Formula 1 cars, I would not want to drive one on a daily basis. Same thing with audio gear.

It's all about balance.

ForzaRoma

Thanks for your review! My audio path is similar to yours in that I upgraded to the C220/MC252 from a reasonably priced Tube Integrated (ASL 1001DT) and my speakers are a bit outclassed as well. The Cremonas are definitely on my list to audition.

markc2 said:
awesome review, just curious what made you pass on the Thiels?

Thanks

Mark

I liked the Thiels, but I loved the Cremona Auditors. Between the Thiels and the B&W, I favored the B&W possibly because I was able to audition them with McIntosh gear while the Thiels we driven by different amps at a store that did not carry McIntosh and I never had an oppty to check their synergy with Mc amplification.

Glad you liked the review.

ForzaRoma

finally got around to reading this review Forzaroma; good reading. Throw in a couple of words like "palpable" and its not far from something others get paid to do...

The beauty and musicality of Sonus Faber is growing on me as well... maybe next year...

Im jealous :tears: enjoy !! :guitar:

exracer said:
finally got around to reading this review Forzaroma; good reading. Throw in a couple of words like "palpable" and its not far from something others get paid to do...

The beauty and musicality of Sonus Faber is growing on me as well... maybe next year...

Im jealous :tears: enjoy !! :guitar:

Thanks. I'll try to use palpable in my next review. Problem is, I don't think I'll have much to review in the near future. I'm pretty well settled for the time being (not to mention that I need to give my wallet a rest :D ).

ForzaRoma

How are you enjoying your Rega Apollo?

I think that is what I will recommend my brother get as its in his price range for a cd player- I have yet to hear it myself, but have heard/read very good things and Rega, IMHO, is one of those companies where it is very rare that they produce a product that is not exceptional as a value standpoint, usually sounding as good, ( analog) as products costing much more. You almost dont need to demo products from companies like these...

What have you compared it to?

exracer said:
How are you enjoying your Rega Apollo?

I think that is what I will recommend my brother get as its in his price range for a cd player- I have yet to hear it myself, but have heard/read very good things and Rega, IMHO, is one of those companies where it is very rare that they produce a product that is not exceptional as a value standpoint, usually sounding as good, ( analog) as products costing much more. You almost dont need to demo products from companies like these...

What have you compared it to?

I think the Apollo is a great CD player. Although I am not huge fan of Rega's turntables (I had a P3 and did not like it much, my vintage Thorens and Empires are much more fun and exciting in sound AND looks).

I must admit that, when it comes to CDPs, I find it considerably more difficult to identify clear differences between them. The sound differences and personality of speakers are immediately apparent, but with CDPs you really need to spend some time with them. I took the Apollo home for a week-end and after several hours of listening ... I was still listening - no digitisis or listening fatigue - so I decided to buy it. People say it sounds very analog and I agree. Apparently the same is true of the 201.

Frankly, for $1K, I can't think of a CDP that has received better reviews from both professionals and users.

I am thinking of getting a Saturn, but every time I listen to my system these days I don't feel the need to change anything. Perhaps I'll had a SlimDevices Transporter instead.

ForzaRoma

Back
Top Bottom