Revox rescue - B215

Yarrrrr

Hello, first post here. After finding a B215 on the street(!), plugged it in to confirm that it was in fact dead. Oh well, I was up for the challenge. I have since recapped it, which has fixed the completely dead situation.

This brings me to the current situation - cleaning up the transport. I noticed one of the drives was missing a cap. My question - how do these caps (forgive me, not sure what these are called) attach? I have a pretty well equipped shop and can make a suitable replacement if need be, just wondering how it came off and what a good solution might be.

Also, has anyone found a suitable replacement (read: something I can just buy from McMaster Carr) for PDP65?

Thanks in advance!

tmp-cam-1659838910.jpg tmp-cam-1260716024.jpg tmp-cam-1262669149.jpg

Last edited:
I think I know what part you need, but will wait for an actual pic to confirm.

And.... NO. Do not use anything except pdp65.

Marc

Thank you for replying Marc, your expertise is much appreciated.

Re: lubricants - I was tempted by Lucas 10877 (extreme duty gun oil) as a stateside option $6 @ oreily auto. Because it has a similar profile:

Specific gravity: .88 (lucas) to .92 (pdp65)
Kinematic viscocity @ 100°C 15 (lucas) to 16 (pdp65)

But then i found a cheap pdp option on ebay from germany.

I will attach a pic of the transport to my gallery and hope that works:
tmp-cam-702100433.jpg

As you can see, the left drive "cap"(?) Is missing. The hollow shaft is octagonal with a very thin slot milled into one side about 1/3 of the way down. I was thinking this indicates a press fit of some kind, but wanted to wait until I hear from the experts!

Upon closer inspection, both of the hubs had cracks in them. Sooo, since revox parts are made of the purest unobtanium, I needed to make a new set of hubs.

1542387135773.jpg tmp-cam-1576296481.jpg 1542330963129.jpg

Last edited:
Mostly because I didn't have a suitable size peice of delrin in the scrap bin! I am making the gear that contacts the cassette teeth out of delrin.

The best way to approach this would have been to 3d print the peice. But I ain't got one.

3D Printers are sure finding use in this hobby! Best of luck with your repair. A very nice deck when working properly.

Yeah, 3D printers will be our only hope for those reel tables in the future.
As bullet proof as the Revox mechanism is, the plastic parts will forever be the weak link.

From a year ago? You fit right in with many of us ! My 1000zxL has been on a shelf waiting for me to get to it for about 6-7 years now . keep us posted. I can't recall for sure but I think the teeth on the reel table are used for a counter. Might need to paint it black.

Finally got it to work. Still needs some tweaking, waiting on parts from europe, but damn what a beautifully constructed bit of kit this is. Sadly the alu hubs didn't work out (lathe incident).

Back
Top Bottom