Revox vs. Pioneer

pcpinfo

OK, RTR experts--
I'm sure this has been discussed, so I will run a search for past opinions. However, I’ve managed to pick up these two over recent months: Revox A77 and Pioneer RT-707. They’re both in decent shape but both could truly use a basic servicing. And I have virtually no technical skills; plus I have limited space. Which one should I focus efforts and dedicate space to?

Thanks for any thoughts . . .

Luke

As a newbe, the Pioneer would be the better deck for you.

The Revox is a more capable machine, but will need capacitor replacement, in addition to the cleaning and lubrication that both decks will need. Lots of threads here on both.

The RT-707 will need a lot less work than the A77. If you do all your own work, it's apples and oranges.
If you have to send it to a tech, the A77 gets expensive fast!
Only drawback to the RT-707 is that it can't play large reels.

Personally, I'd always advise towards a B77 instead. Solid, much better engineering as far as service goes, and TONS of parts!

Thanks, y'all

Both appear to be working; hoping to do more investigation and testing this week.

The Revox is a more capable machine, but will need capacitor replacement, in addition to the cleaning and lubrication that both decks will need. Lots of threads here on both.

Ive recapped a Revox unit with Nichicon Gold for the signal side and some Panasonic Caps for the Power supply side, one of the best things ever done to that deck. Was so clean in sound, and what a difference it made in changing those caps.
RT-707 is a wonderful machine too and the nice thing is, they were built to retain a consistency of robustness in some degree. If caps need to be replaced, the caps are easy to get and easy to work with. The 707's have a bright yet smooth sound to them.

The RT-707 is highly-regarded by many, and, surprisingly, even gets some pro studio use, as seen in this video....

I vote Pioneer as well, it's a nice size plus looks and sounds good. Also auto reverse, not sure if an A77 is, I've never had one. Pioneer is RELATIVELY easy to work on and parts not that hard to get, there's lots out there. Revox might be scarcer.

I'm not too concerned about reel size. Fact is I find more 7" than 10" and they're cheaper - vintage or new.

Just got a Revox A77 MK4 in nice shape (needs a little TLC), and for a great price. I was looking for the Pioneer when this fell in my lap. Gotta say I really like the Revox so far, but I’ll probably end up with both machines someday.

The Revox is very, much a feyness machine. It takes understanding to operate it properly and to maintain it properly. It has week points. Its controls are not robust at all and in fact the entire transport and its frame are rather delicate. But that said it can be quite a performer. electrical components are not long term with wide operating parameters. Relays are easily contaminated, guides and heads easily worn with back coated tape. Brake bands and linings wear easily using heavy metal reels. Plastic housing for rotary circuit board switches will bring the machine to its knees. Motor control circuit is suspect, too.

The Pioneer on the other hand is not as sophisticated as the Revox. Higher W&F, less signal to noise, speed error, the in ability to take advantage of the latest high output tapes at the time. In ability to handle peak levels with low distortion like a Revox. The 3 3/4 performance of a Revox is out standing in all respects especially with the MK IV version with built in Dolby noise reduction. But I agree the Pioneer will probably be a more satisfying machine.

I gave away the A-77's I owned and inherited. I did keep my HS B-77 a totally different animal in some respects. But I also kept one of My professional Ampexs. There is nothing out there that can match the rugged ness of an Ampex or Magnecord for field use, and only a few studio Studers and MCI can out perform a field Ampex. Now I will admit Ampex would put anything in a travel case with a handle on it and call it portable. Every seen a portable MR-70 or ATR 100 series. I have. I had a portable 300-4. There was a finicky tube machine. But it had a 80+ db dynamic range with Maxell UD tape.

Last edited:
Well.... if you overhaul an A77 yourself, it's a pretty durable machine. Problem with them is they are older than many of our members here and falling apart.
Now a B77 IS a much better designed machine, yes. I also gave my own A77 away, as I see no time to do it and have 4 B77's.

I no longer restore A77's for people in general, because most cannot understand why it costs MONEY to do the job when they picked it up for $20 in a yard sale.
After all, at 50 years old for some, a shot of contact cleaner SHOULD be plenty!

But don't kid yourself, the Pioneers are getting up there too. It's all a matter of age.

Indeed. I am going to soon own another ReVox, but I can repair, align, and maintain my own A 77. I also am comfortable with it's daily needs operationally including feathering the brakes.

I have to say, Tinman is spot on about the Pioneers also getting up there in age. While the 707 in particular is a robust design and a great sounding deck and about the newest of the Pioneers aside from the 909, I have owned a half dozen of these, and every single one had some problem, ranging from a nagging little issue to total component failure. I had two of them fully restored and aligned by Sam Palermo, and those are the two I have kept.

OTOH, I bought a Revox B77 MK II that had also been restored, gets used regularly, and has never given me even the slightest bit of trouble.

Owning and driving a vintage Ferrari that you maintain yourself is an experience few will ever appreciate (and I understand many may not care to). But either choosing to buy a Honda, or hiring someone to maintain your Ferrari is a totally different experience. The same applies to owning an A77.

The ReVox is more Mercedes-Benz than Ferrari. It is reliability oriented, not exotica drama queen oriented. ReVox A and B 77 machines along with PR 99 machines survived and thrived in the toughest environment known to tape machines, tape based FM automation. Failure not an option, very high performance demanded to conservative specification, and over 20 hour a day/7 days a week/365 days a year, and failure meant lost revenue for that system's owners.

Back
Top Bottom