RF-7 III's Anyone own a pair?

Congrats on your RF-7III.

I prefer tube amps with my RF-7II.

My basement 4.2 system can deliver a near-live-classical-concert-experience. Front, center, and left speakers are Klipsch RF-7 II. A single rear speaker is a Klipsch RF-7. Subwoofers: SVS SB16-Ultra, Klipsch R-115SW. These four tower speakers plus two subwoofers provide plenty of acoustical power in this average size listening room. (I sit approximately 10 feet from the speakers.) Collectively, they total four 1 ¾” titanium compression drivers mated to Tractrix horns, eight 10” woofers, one 15” powered subwoofer, and one 16” powered subwoofer.

Source: Oppo UDP-205. The Oppo UDP-205 provides "bass management" - i.e., a built-in crossover, and a connection for a powered subwoofer. With Oppo's bass management, the low frequencies are off-loaded from the main amp and speakers, thereby facilitating greater overall dynamics.

Here's the tube amps that I have in this system: Scott 272 (EL34), Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO (single-ended-pentode (SEP) power amp currently equipped with 6L6GC), Scott 222C (7189), McIntosh MX110Z tuner/preamp, Fisher KX-200 (7591), Scott 296 (6L6GC), Pilot SA-260 (EL34), Scott LK150 (KT88). A patch panel allows me to connect the speakers to whichever amp(s) I want, and F/F RCA cables enable me to connect an amp to the Oppo, and a power amp to the MX110Z (if I choose to have a pre-amp in the audio chain).

I love classical music, which involves natural instruments performing together live in their intended venue (i.e., symphony hall or opera house). IME, the RF-7II are capable of reproducing this natural sound, when driven by the right tube amps. I experience no listener fatigue when using the right tube amps with my RF-7II. (IME, RF-7II can sound harsh with solid-state amps, and can sound bright with KT88 tube amps.) Recently I’ve been watching/listening to surround-sound Blu-ray video recordings of classical concerts, and I find that RF-7II and two stereo tube amps (one for L&R, one for center and single rear) provide excellent audio quality.

I have no room for La Scala or Belles or Klipschorn or Jubilee – so I use tower speakers in all of my systems. I wish I could hear the RF-7III driven by tube amps, playing hi-res recordings (SACD, Blu-ray, Pure Audio Blu-ray, 24bit/192kHz FLAC) of classical music. What I’m waiting/hoping for is that Klipsch will introduce a new tower speaker positioned above the RF-7III, in light of the fact that they discontinued the Palladium. (I own Palladium P-37F paired with the matching P-312W Subwoofer – also mated with a variety of tube amps.)

For those who think that the RF-7II or RF-7III sound harsh or bright, my advice is to listen to modern high-quality hi-res recordings, and use a 6L6GC or 7591 tube amp.

I have not noticed any harshness from the RF-7 III's, they have been quite crisp and bright paired with my WOPL amplifier, but no harshness. The imaging is almost holographic at times, very smooth and impressive. More clinical sounding, and tighter low end than the older heritage series. The Belle's required higher volume levels to bring out any significant bass, the RF's have solid bass even at low listening levels. Tubes and vinyl really get them into a sweet spot of my listening preferences.

I mentioned on your other thread that went to hear the RF-7III today and they sounded very good.They had low hrs on them though.

Steve , I think you have found the magic formula . The upgraded Klipsch's and the tube amp was just the ticket . Congrats .

I've been thinking lately on purchasing a new pair of the 7IIIs. Price is very very good from direct dealer. Currently have my Cornwall IIs which I'll never part with. They are ready for crossover upgrades though . But just wanna another set of speakers to put into rotation. Plus I've recently purchased (2) of the Klipsch R115SW subs . So low end is well covered. My power will be from my Pioneer Spec system . Spec 2 amplifier. 250WPC

I've been thinking lately on purchasing a new pair of the 7IIIs. Price is very very good from direct dealer. Currently have my Cornwall IIs which I'll never part with. They are ready for crossover upgrades though . But just wanna another set of speakers to put into rotation. Plus I've recently purchased (2) of the Klipsch R115SW subs . So low end is well covered. My power will be from my Pioneer Spec system . Spec 2 amplifier. 250WPC
I have found no need for subs with the RF-7 III's, bass is really clean, punchy, and deep. The highs are very clinical and crisp, running them on my Luxman tube equipment and spinning vinyl has really helped warm them up. Imaging and soundstage will impress!

I did use subs, two of them, with my RF7IIs. But then, while I'm anything but a bass head, I do believe in multiple subs with most any speaker.

My son. has RF 7's and I installed numerous pairs of Belles. Placed in the right location, I would take Belles hands down every time. RF 7 can be too austere for me and a little ragged on the high end . So I would stick with the Belles, too. You might find the bass more to your liking, but that can be solved for your Belles, too. The guy selling his RF's knows the Belles are better or he would want them. So hang on tight the Belles are a much better speaker.

My son. has RF 7's and I installed numerous pairs of Belles. Placed in the right location, I would take Belles hands down every time. RF 7 can be too austere for me and a little ragged on the high end . So I would stick with the Belles, too. You might find the bass more to your liking, but that can be solved for your Belles, too. The guy selling his RF's knows the Belles are better or he would want them. So hang on tight the Belles are a much better speaker.
Belles are gone, and I like the 7-III's very much. Is your sons RF-7's series III? The latest version has been much improved.

I decided to try the RF-7III's with one of my favorite Fisher tube amps, the amazing 7189 tubed X-202. I will put this combo up against any other combo I own for quality sound, simply amazing sounding. Who would think these speakers would sound this powerful and good paired with such a low powered amp, and anyone thinking these modern speakers can't hang with the old heritage models is just plain missing out!

20190201_095337.jpg

Last edited:
I've really pondered buying a pair of these speakers after we get moved into new house. I built a pair of Belle clones with all new drivers (new Klipsch K-33's, Crites A-55G's, CT120's) and am sure I'll be keeping them as they wouldn't bring an incredible amount of resale being "clones". Plus, I barely used them for 2 months before having to move and store them at my best friends house while we are in the rent house. I know many dealers and can buy a pair of these at a (really, really) great price...an advantage of spending almost 30 years in the industry at retail and manufacturers rep level, I guess. I do know the bass would be better on the RF-7 III's as would most any others but there's something about that fully loaded horn sound. There's something to be said about having "new" gear as it just looks good, sounds good, and smells good. ha. I could get RF-7 III's, Forte III's or Cornwall III's all for about the same price as they all retail fairly close.

Then also thought about buying the Onkyo M-5000R amplifier to match the P-3000R I bought last year. Not at retail price, of course. haha. I love those big meters. The Klipsch Epic CF-3's were by far one of my favorite pairs of speakers I owned and maybe it had something to do with the front firing dual ports. In comparison, I had a pair of KLF-30's which are dual 12" rear ported and they sounded awful in the same living room so they didn't stay around. It was mainly due to the other house having too lively of a room where in our new house, the upstairs is my music area and, with heavy duty floors and carpet, I'm hoping it will even improve the Belle's bass response.

But, pondering, nevertheless.

Last edited:
I've really pondered buying a pair of these speakers after we get moved into new house. I built a pair of Belle clones with all new drivers (new Klipsch K-33's, Crites A-55G's, CT120's) and am sure I'll be keeping them as they wouldn't bring an incredible amount of resale being "clones". Plus, I barely used them for 2 months before having to move and store them at my best friends house while we are in the rent house. I know many dealers and can buy a pair of these at a (really, really) great price...an advantage of spending almost 30 years in the industry at retail and manufacturers rep level, I guess. I do know the bass would be better on the RF-7 III's as would most any others but there's something about that fully loaded horn sound. There's something to be said about having "new" gear as it just looks good, sounds good, and smells good. ha. I could get RF-7 III's, Forte III's or Cornwall III's all for about the same price as they all retail fairly close.

Then also thought about buying the Onkyo M-5000R amplifier to match the P-3000R I bought last year. Not at retail price, of course. haha. I love those big meters. The Klipsch Epic CF-3's were by far one of my favorite pairs of speakers I owned and maybe it had something to do with the front firing dual ports. In comparison, I had a pair of KLF-30's which are dual 12" rear ported and they sounded awful in the same living room so they didn't stay around. It was mainly due to the other house having too lively of a room where in our new house, the upstairs is my music area and, with heavy duty floors and carpet, I'm hoping it will even improve the Belle's bass response.

But, pondering, nevertheless.
This new tractix horn is very smooth, these speakers can be a bit clinical sounding with the solid state equipment I have tried. But tubes and vinyl have really warmed them up, and their sound stage is amazing, almost holographic. Bass is very deep but punchy, even on this meager 24 wpc tube amp. Just need to match them properly, they can be bright with digital tracks and crisp sounding amps, but they put the former Belle's to shame in my listening space.

Just scored a pair of RF-7III from HiFi Heaven in Green Bay. Will be powering them with a Marantz Reference Series PM-14S1 integrated amp. Never listened to RF-7III before, but looking forward to how they will sound with rock, blues and pop. It was a real nut buster hauling them upstairs the other day o_O

Just scored a pair of RF-7III from HiFi Heaven in Green Bay. Will be powering them with a Marantz Reference Series PM-14S1 integrated amp. Never listened to RF-7III before, but looking forward to how they will sound with rock, blues and pop. It was a real nut buster hauling them upstairs the other day o_O
Congrats, they seemed a bit bright on my high power solid state equipment, but since hooking them to tube equipment and break in time, sound really good.

Congrats, they seemed a bit bright on my high power solid state equipment, but since hooking them to tube equipment and break in time, sound really good.

My Klipsch RP-280F’s don’t sound bright paired up with the Marantz PM-14S1, which will soon be powering the RF-7III’s in their place. No worries, RF-7III’s should sound like the RP-280F’s on steroids :)

I have some RF7-III's and thought they were a little bright - I am running them through a McIntosh 6700 receiver (200 wpc). I bought a Schiit Loki and put it in the loop to cut a little of the midrange out. Base and treble are untouched with a few dB cut from the two midrange dials and they sound perfect. I don't know if I am extra sensitive to mid range or what, but everyone I play it for says it sounds awesome.

-Geoff

Back
Top Bottom