Rip it all out, put it all back

jblnut

Don't Overthink It
Well, I got my 10% this weekend and maybe more. The back story (in more ways than one):

I decided I had made a crucial error at some point in my system build. I realized that I had the entire system running through a $5 20 year old 6 outlet surge protector on my wall. "Simple" I thought, just pull things out and remove it. That's when it became obvious that my lovely VTI racks were missing a very crucial part - casters. They simply would not slide any more with the increased weight of the 501s. See here:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/new-501s.795997/

So, I tracked them down and decided to replace the "pointy feet" of the as-shipped rack with the VTI locking casters so I could remove the surge protector and make some other cable changes. Did I mention I decided to do this on the day before Easter, with 20 people coming over the next day ? See "list of things your wife may not appreciate..." LOL.

It turns out that tearing down 3 full racks of gear with 60+lb turntables and 90lb amps is still a major chore, even with teenagers to assist. And I mean a full tear down - all power, interconnect, speaker cable, lighting and power sequencing came out. The casters went on very easily and I had a chance to vacuum out the whole area and remove various bits that had fallen in or under the racks.

Well after 4 hours of tear down and re-build I collapsed on the couch. I had removed the aforementioned surge protector, converted the preamp-amp connection to fully balanced mode, upgraded one of the turntable interconnects and moved all of the lighting power cables and dimmers well away from other signal wires (noise had become an issue on one turntable). And of course each and every cable and power connection had been unplugged and re-connected.

The sound is really better than I had hoped. I seem to have lost more noise than I realized I had. Instrument separation is especially good and I look forward to some more detailed listening this week. Bass is noticeably stronger which is - for me - not a good thing as it was just about perfect before. I think I need to revisit the sub tuning as that got converted from XLR to RCA during the work and the gain structure changed I believe.

Has anyone else had to do a complete tear down ? Was it an overall positive or negative experience ?

And if you own VTI racks, the casters are - awesome. Very high quality and you can move your racks now !

jblnut

Last edited:
Yes, I've done that before - usually try to do it every year or so, just to clean things up. My system is now simpler than it was (and certainly simpler than yours) so it's not quite the chore it used to be, but it's still work.

LOL...I can relate to the "heavy" work of tearing down and setting up the system. My MC501's are the heaviest component in the racks but the other McGear is a close second except for the MR85.

I've torn mine down to upgrade it several times in the past 5 or so years and try to get in there and clean everything once a year. I also make sure I haven't crossed my wires anywhere to avoid that noise we all know and love.

Lookin' good!

Yes, I've done that before - usually try to do it every year or so, just to clean things up. My system is now simpler than it was (and certainly simpler than yours) so it's not quite the chore it used to be, but it's still work.
Yeah, about every 16 months here. Usually a major cleaning and refresh of all the connectors. I haven't "simplified" too much though.

Dust is noisy :p
And 6 orders of magnitude larger than that valuable electron. Those electrons are not going to jump over the dust, they aren't athletes. so any dust dirt corrosion from just being there for a year keeps a rig from sounding its best. Always good to rip it out and start over every year or two. Gives one a chance to straighten the cabling mess that grows from initial set up over that period of time to something that has the AC too close to the signal wiring. No wonder it sounded different and better is always the way we want to do.

And 6 orders of magnitude larger than that valuable electron. Those electrons are not going to jump over the dust, they aren't athletes. so any dust dirt corrosion from just being there for a year keeps a rig from sounding its best. Always good to rip it out and start over every year or two. Gives one a chance to straighten the cabling mess that grows from initial set up over that period of time to something that has the AC too close to the signal wiring. No wonder it sounded different and better is always the way we want to do.
Oh I can understand it and I've been wanting to do my system just to clean tops and try a smaller system. But the other thing is most my gear is pretty new, gold plated contacts and all but the turntables are XLR which for the most part are sealed from air born dust.

Well, it is on the horizon for me. The carpet in the main listening room needs stretched, so everything needs to come out. I have put it off due to the amount of gear involved in a Tri-amp rig with dual subs. I have scheduled it for the wife's beach week with the girls in July after the AK gathering at my place on May 6th, but I am actually looking forward to a complete tear down and system cleaning. I have taken positioning measurements for the Magnapans, since tape on the carpet will not be accurate once the carpet is stretched. :^(
Regards,
Jim

I used to do this a lot more in the past, not so much these days. I'll share a tip with you on saving effort with the re-rack project. After years of holding a piece of gear with my left hand to float it so the holes just line up and screw it into place with the right hand (which is extremely tiring with heavy amps), I learned to lay the racks down horizontal on the floor and just drop all the equipment in place. You can slide the gear around to get the order right, and you can line up the holes so that the screw doesn't touch the front panel. Thus, giving no rack rash. After everything is bolted in place, merely stand the rack back up. A true lifesaver as I've gotten older.

I probably take mine apart once or twice per year, either to replace something or reroute the wires, or to give the shelves a good cleaning. I've simplified so much now that including the turntable, I only have four shelves and five components. With the VTI racks, taking it apart is simple--I remove things in layers, since each shelf layer rests on the next lower one via spikes. If I end up expanding my system, though, I might need to take on a second shelving unit. Or I may move the amps to separate amp stands instead (if/when I start bi-amping).

I need the spikes on the bottom to penetrate the carpet and padding to the concrete floor--it solidifies the sound of the system, I've found. The shelves are somewhat flimsy, though, and the finish scratches way too easily. I really want to get Atacama racks from the UK, but they are not available to ship to the US. The rack system is similar (spiked layers), but everything is of a higher quality. The frame is beefier, and the shelves are a nice, thick machined bamboo. Having had a rack like this that I can separate in layers, I can't see going back to a set of standard shelving any time soon.

usually try to do it every year or so, just to clean things up

Same here. There's only so long I can watch the dust build up under the TT or pieces of stacked gear and the shelves.

Also, I need to make sure the spiders don't get to comfortable in the reflex ports.

We should have a poll: how many extra cables did you find in the wirepatch back there that were not actually being used for anything?

My kids got me a flat screen TV for Christmas a couple years ago so I had to re-design the entire audio-video set up. At first I didn't want the TV since my old monstrosity still worked and I seldom watch anyway. But it was a blessing in disguise as the redesign allowed me to start from scratch, and have a purpose built entertainment center. I also made room for my best speakers. My enjoyment has increased tremendously.

standdone.jpg

Ive moved 8 times in the last 18 years, and probably have taken the rig apart 50-60 times by now. Since I am also a musician of sorts who uses the setup as the monitors and the recording system as well, there might be 40-70 RCA, 1/4" midi cables, and computer, and power wires connecting 3 computers, the amp, synthesizers, TV, and turntable.

I usually find the bad cables during this time. Since my cables have gold plated ends and my preamp doesn't, it helps clean up the cracklies.

My system is not only in a hard to move(even having casters but, on thick carpet) especially for me because of my back problems but, is within
one of those oak entertainment centers that makes it difficult to even remove one component without moving the dadburn thing away from the wall to unplug cables and cords.
So, YES! I know exactly how you feel and it's more then half the reason I haven't done a recap and display light replacement on my tuner, change the interconnects and put shelf sliders in for the TT.
I think I'll wait till I move, at least then I won't have to put it all back in and try to shove it back against the wall in the same day. swoon.gif

New Years Day here and of course, time for the annual tear down. I was able to insert a few new (to me - I use vintage cabling) Audioquest Rubies on the DAC and tuner. It's all dusted and every connection has been undone and inspected. No huge sonic upgrades this year, but I feel better knowing it's done.

Now for some listening: -)

Happy New Year to all those here seeking out that last few percent !

Jblnut

Maybe it's my imagination but everything seems to sound better if I just pull all the cables and plug them back in. If I'm feeling really ambitious I'll give 'em a wipe with some Deoxit.

I don't have near the amount of stuff some of you have but I dread having to get behind my system all the same. In my next life my listening room will have a small room behind the system. Open the door and walk in to access any of the equipment. That or maybe swivel shelves...but cabling would still be a PITA with that.

I don't have near the amount of stuff some of you have but I dread having to get behind my system all the same.
My rack system comes apart in layers (they rest on points, on the corner posts), so if I'm doing a disassembly, I take everything off from the top down. That makes it easy to reconnect things as I reassemble the system. But the flip side of that is that when I change a component or interconnect, I'm having to dig around behind it, do some contortionist moves and be a Gumby of sorts to get at everything, and these old bones just aren't that limber anymore.

Today I started rewiring my whole system. Because it is all vintage I use a step down transformer from 230 to 215 Volts (in Europe, voltage has increased from 220 to 230 or more). Especially my Thorens TD 124 doesn't like high voltage. Then comes a net filter and two plug strips. All connected with high end power cables. I'm curious if I will hear a difference in the end... :)

IMG_7248.JPG

Happy new year to all of you!

Steven

Back
Top Bottom