Robert Mitchum Centennial August 6

I'm not much of a movie buff but have always enjoyed Robert Mitchum and his enormous talent. My first exposure was "Thunder Road" in 1958. Mitchum starred, co-wrote, co-directed, and even co-wrote the them song "The Ballad of Thunder Road."

Roger

Hell of an actor ... rumored to be as tough in real life as the characters he portrayed in the movies.

TCM is playing some of his movies this evening, including one of my all-time faves "Night of the Hunter". One of the rare films that is both spooky and dream-like at the same time.

Watched Holiday affair today. Saw El Dorado yesterday. TCM was running at least 3 of his movies today. Great in The Enemy Below, The Longest Day.

"Thunder Road" was also my first exposure to him. "Friends Of Eddie Coyle" (1973), in which he plays a small-time hood, is one of my favorites from that time period.

There is a color photo (Mug Shot) when he got arrested for smoking Pot, and his eyes are still red! Always ahead of the times.

Have a listen to the theme song at the beginning of the Western film Young Billy Young, and of course he was good in it, along with another film The Yakuza both are now available on blu ray as well. Another interesting film is Ryan's Daughter ( David Lean ). A couple more are the Western The Good Guys and the Bad Guys as well as The Hunters, a Korean war film with Mitchum as fighter pilot.

Back
Top Bottom