Rock n Roll movies from the 50's

Eric H

Addicted Member
I watched one last night called "Rock Baby: Rock It" from 1957.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050908/

The plot was threadbare and the acting talent was non existent, it could have passed for an Ed Wood film, however it was filmed in Dallas in 1956 and features a bunch of local musical talent that is actually really good.

A guy named Johnny Carroll does a perfect Elvis impersonation and a ton of other acts appear, more than half the movie is made up of musical performances and that really makes it worthwhile.

The movie is terrible but it's still a facinating snapshot of that era in R&R history and a lot of fun to watch! :thmbsp:

I didn't say he was an Elvis impersonater, I said he does an Elvis impersonation in this movie, and a terrific one at that.
Not that he's billed as being an Elvis wannabee, he's billed as himself, but obviously they wanted their little film to have something similar to the then new superstar.

Streets Of Fire

"STREETS OF FIRE" best Rock video ever in my mind. . . :smoke:

But Elvis is cool. . . good hangover medicine. . . gets your blood pumping. . ,. :banana:

Eric H: Guess I'd better switch to decaf after 1:00 a.m. I misunderstood your comments about Johnny Carroll and let my alligator mouth overload my hummingbird ass before posting. I'm just jealous I missed the flick.

Wornears, not a problem, hope I didn't sound gruff in my reply.
Impersonater wasn't the best choice, Carrolls performance is really one of the highlights of the film.

I guess in 1956 you had to choose either Elvis, Dean or Brando as your influence :D

Excellent site there Telecolor 3007!!

The 50s and 60s were in my opinion THE LAST REALLY GOOD decades for media..... In the 70s it started dropping off/getting worse (digital ruining analog,etc)

Don't forget the 1956 movie The Girl Can't Help It. A sort of schizoid combination of a crime/romance plot and musical performances, it was a major influence on future British rock stars - their first opportunity to see performances by Eddie Cochran, Fats Domino, and Little Richard, among others. Not a great movie, but Paul McCartney, Jeff Beck, and Mick Jagger all said they saw it and were inspired. Jayne Mansfield is also easy on the eyes - details here and full movie on youtube here.

Years ago I watched Rock Around the Clock on tv. What struck me is how they called it "Jive" rather than Rock n Roll.

I know that "Blackboard Jungle" wouldn't be considered as a full fledged early rock movie, but for me it had a lasting effect on my attitude at the time, being a preteener and now became a rebel....least in my eyes.:D

It was the very first time that I gravitated to the rock beat and all what it offered. :music: This was MY kind of music, and I went to every movie that tended to offer any sort of rock music background afterward...even the Beach Blanket movies that I endured!

Bill Halley and The Comets hit the scene with "Rock Around The Clock". Rock 'n Roll got off in the ground and the rest was history.

Q

Back
Top Bottom