Rod Elliot P06 DIY Phono Preamp & PSU Review

HypnoToad

Ms Puss Puss
Subscriber
Not that I need another one but I have been looking for a phono stage using the KISS principal that anyone can build cheaply and easily. And with all the enthusiastic reports from Felix aka Catman and others about Rod Elliot's projects I sent for the circuit board of the P06 MM phono preamp.

At first I built a power supply that was recommended by other AK members, it was a simple Rod Elliot design that I built on a project board. I am using a 16vac wallwart that I had left over from when I got the Speed Box II for my Pro-Ject turntable. I used Panasonic and Elna caps along with Schottky diodes. It should be a good match for the P06. The PCB arrived in record time, it was so tiny I didn't think the parts I had would fit. The whole project board it's sitting on with the PSU is 4" x 5" the P06 is only 1 1/2" x 3".

I used Elna Silmic II's for the four 22uf electrolytic's, I had to space them a bit as they are bigger than most. I also used Panasonic ECW Polypropylene's for the film caps in the signal path, I had to bend the legs carefully. Panasonic FC's and a pair of ceramics for the power supply bypass caps, with all resistors Panasonic Metal Film 1%.

The opamps that Rod recommended were NE5532's or OPA2134's, I settled on my favorite AD823's in sockets for some op amp rolling later on if necessary.

The PSU I built puts out + & - 18vdc as opposed to the recommended 15vdc as I already had LM8918 / LM9818 rectifiers on hand.

The preamp is only MM but I have a very nice and simple design for a MC head amp that I will build on the rest of the project board that the PSU is on. It should be a simple matter of having a switch for either MM or MC. This will not be an expensive project. I only need to find a suitable case for it all.

So how does it sound?

Don't let the size and simplicity of this thing fool you, it's truly amazing, the bass is deep and extended it has a huge sound stage and seems ever so slightly rolled off in the extreme highs which I like. It's almost tube like, the AD823's really suit this circuit. It's the sort of sound you could listen to for hours. Everything is there in perfect balance. It's not one of those WOW on the edge of your seat for the first five minutes then you tire of it experience. It's the real deal, the more you listen the more you like it. There are no electrolytic's in the signal path and actually very few components at all.

It's a shame it's only MM but if the simple high quality MC head amp works out it should be a cheap and easy project to build.

P06PSU.jpg

Last edited:
G'day mate, nice review! Many thanks. Regards, Felix aka catman.

Addition: How does it compare to your Cambridge 640 on MM?

Last edited:
G'day mate, nice review! Many thanks. Regards, Felix aka catman.

Addition: How does it compare to your Cambridge 640 on MM?

It's pretty close but a little more laid back or tube like than the "super" modded 640P, with all AD823 op amps in each. It would easily beat a standard 640P. I wouldn't like to say which one is better, they are both better in different ways and it would depend on the end user which one they like best. It shows that it's the op amps that do the work, and the less stuff in the way the better.

The P06 would seriously beat many phono pre's costing many times more. Makes me wonder why commercial ones are so complicated and use such cheap components as well as costing so much?

Last edited:
G'day mate, thanks for that. Interestingly enough, with the (many) P06's I've built over the years I've used no really exotic op amps, only NE5532, LM833 and OPA2134's and they all sound roughly equivalent to my ears!

What I really like about the P06 is the 'split' approach to the RIAA eq with the treble roll off being provided by the HF filter on the output. It is worth remembering that the treble eq accuracy will be affected by the following line preamp stage impedance to some degree, although any value down to 22 k has no untoward effect.

Also the use of the passive HF filter provides the 'ongoing' HF rolloff originally specified by the RIAA specification. The simple 'full feedback' designs commonly used by many simple one op amp designs do not, but that is the nature of the op amp 'non inverting' gain stage circuit configuration. Anyway I'm glad you like the P06. I do too. :yes: Regards, Felix aka catman.

Last edited:
Nice build there.. I may need (yeah:D) another phono pre and am looking at the ESP and wondering how it compares to the Hag Bugle which I finished a while ago. Anyone out there done a comparison?

This is my 'go-to' RIAA phono stage in my experimental system, I boosted it's gain a bit to direct-drive a power amp thru an attenuator with a Denon DL-110 HOMC in a Sony PS-X70 TT. It's presently piggybacked onto the strain gauge pre's power supply which is also incorporated into the system input control box. At present, this system has no active line stage, all sources direct-drive the power amp in use thru an attenuator.
My main system has your 640P as the phono stage and uses a minimalist Conrad Johnson Motif MC-9 line stage as the system control unit.

Last edited:
One of my P06's in action.

G'day all, as evening approaches here on this grey and rainy evening in North Queeensland, The Beatles 'Abbey Road' is playing here on this Ham Radio shack system.

My M97xE loaded into 62 k working through my ESP P06 and 'I Want you...She's so Heavy' is sounding great. :thmbsp: Regards, Felix aka catman.

Attachments

• Playing The Beatles 'I want you....she's so heavy'..jpg
    Playing The Beatles 'I want you....she's so heavy'..jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
G'day mate, thanks for that. Interestingly enough, with the (many) P06's I've built over the years I've used no really exotic op amps, only NE5532, LM833 and OPA2134's and they all sound roughly equivalent to my ears!

Felix you should try some AD823's they have a different sound to the OPA2134's, much more 3D and a wider sound stage IMO, a little less gain but nothing to worry about. And in Rod's minimalistic design they really shine.

G'day mate, I'll see if I can get some of those to try, but I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'a little less gain', as all op amps have enormous 'open loop gain' but op amps are generally never used 'open loop' and they certainly aren't used that way in the ESP P06. Regards, Felix aka catman.

Last edited:
G'day mate, I'll see if I can get some of those to try, but I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'a little less gain', as all op amps have enormous 'open loop gain' but op amps are generally never used 'open loop' and they certainly aren't used that way in the ESP P06. Regards, Felix aka catman.

They have slightly less output than OPA2134's.

G'day mate, well I've ordered four AD823's. Have you ever tried combining AD823's with OP2134's? Regards, Felix aka catman.

G'day mate, well I've ordered four AD823's. Have you ever tried combining AD823's with OP2134's? Regards, Felix aka catman.

I had AD823 in the input stage of the P06 and OPA2134 in the output stage, but I preferred to have AD823's in both stages. They are much more open with a much bigger soundstage while retaining the bass extension of the OPA2134.

Hope you like them.

Well the '823's arrived today!

G'day all, well I tried them in my Ham Radio shack P06 and they're not bad, not bad at all. I'll admit straight up that I honestly don't think op amps are 'that' different but based on what I've hreard from these AD823's, they do sound clean, very low noise and distortion and they seem to sound slightly more 'balanced' than the OPA2134's.

Although I like the OPA2134's, I've always felt that sounded a touch heavy in the bass and a little hollow sounding. On another forum I think I described them as 'dry sounding'. More listening will follow, but so far, I really like what I hear from the AD823's. Thanks HypoToad! Regards, Felix aka catman.

Last edited:
G'day all, well I tried them in my Ham Radio shack P06 and they're not bad, not bad at all. I'll admit straight up that I honestly don't think op amps are 'that' different but based on what I've hreard from these AD823's, they do sound clean, very low noise and distortion and they seem to sound slightly more 'balanced' than the OPA2134's.

Although I like the OPA2134's, I've always felt that sounded a touch heavy in the bass and a little hollow sounding. On another forum I think I described them as 'dry sounding'. More listening will follow, but so far, I really like what I hear from the AD823's. Thanks HypoToad! Regards, Felix aka catman.

You can thank Jim Reeves he is the op amp man who put me onto these.

Glad you like them.:banana:

Felix you should try some AD823's they have a different sound to the OPA2134's, much more 3D and a wider sound stage IMO, a little less gain but nothing to worry about. And in Rod's minimalistic design they really shine.
Best source please?

Ain't touching your work, will order them eventually to try in the P-06 and the SG pre's.

IMHO the OPA2134's make the bass sound slow and round, guess that's the "dark" Burr-Brown sound I've read descriptions of. I prefer the AD823's/LM4562's in my Hypno-mod 640P to the AD797's/OPA2134's in my Bel Canto for this reason.

G'day all, I can't really see myself indulging in any extensive op amp 'rolling' but regarding the AD823, at least according to the specs that dual op amp isn't even designed for audio but it is more designed as an instrumentation and precision measurement op amp, yet it works fine in my DIY P06 phono stage and sounds rather good.

Its noise floor does seem to be rather less than the OPA2134 which certainly adds to the perception of 'clean' sound. A friend of mine who is more familiar with these 'instrumentation measurement' op amps tells me that the AD823 is a really 'excellent' op amp. I did spend some time listening to some records with the AD823's in use last evening and I was impressed by the general clarity.

Re the OPA2134's, reading the internet there seeems to be a lot of differing opinion on the OPA2134. Some regard it very highly, yet others less so. It's all a bit confusing. :yes: To my ears the OPA2134 tends to sound a little dry and/ or 'wooden', yet in its own way it's rather endearing. I'm sure that if after some time I put the OPA2134's back in circuit, I'd probably prefer them! Audio, what a hobby! :yes: Regards, Felix aka catman.

Last edited:
Absolutely Felix! That's what I find fascinating about trying out various opamps, they're sort of like a spice and you can pick your favorite flavor!

Back
Top Bottom