Rogers JR-149 vs. LS3/5A vs. Harbeth P3ESR

Marty Lange

Just a question:

I have three possible routes to go:
Minty pair of JR-149 with the JR Super Sub. Has the rare wall stands and everything has been recapped correctly with Dayton caps and the wood is all in really good condition. Price is 1000 and a good friend of mine.

A pair of Rogers LS3/5A for around 1300-1400 (I don’t have a specific pair in mind but can likely find something around this price).

Or do I just go all out and buy brand new Harbeth P3ESR?

I don’t like to waste money but the 1k or so difference isn’t a huge huge deal and could swing it. But if I can get same from the JR-149 of course would rather have more money in my pocket.

Reasons against the JR-149 is placement of a cylinder speaker doesn’t fit as well as a square (to me). But this setup looks decent to me:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/musicians-audiophiles-jerome-sabbagh

Just would like to hear everyone’s thoughts and see some comparisons that people have between these.

Any comments are appreciated.

Amp will likely be a luxman m4000 or
Musical design d-150.

Marty

The JR-149 MK2 is better than the JR-149 it uses a Dalesford D30/100 and not the Kef B110.

For your budget, you could also have a listen to the KEF LS50. They are the same "principle" nearfield compact loudspeakers, designed with this century technology. Not to bash the KEF110/T27 combination (actually I'm a big KEF fan) but they were designed 40 years ago. A lot of things have improved since then.

Other than that, the JR149 with the sub would be a good system, but the price seems a bit steep.

I'd be curious what the OP decided. I've owned a pair of Chartwell LS3/5As for about 35 years. I recently picked up a pair of Harbeth P3ESR. Comparing them in nearfield I have a strong preference for the Harbeth. I'm surprised how big of a difference there is.

...and the P3ESR is head and shoulders better than the P3ESR 40th. Great speakers!

Last edited:
Marty,
As I am thinking about JR149's for a quality small British kitchen system... was curious which of the three you purchased.. and your evaluation. I am currently using a Marantz small chassis 2010... and Celestion Ditton 10's from about 1970.

There are a Lot of LS50's for sale... many with new looking boxes and all the original papers & packing. Hmmm..
StereoreviewX compared his older (1980's ?) LS3/5A'S to a borrowed pr of newish LS50's... and overall preferred the LS3/5A's. I'd be very cautious buying LS50's without a loooong listen.

Have you any experience with JR149 or JR150's ? From reviews, they provide about 80% of LS3/5A's magic... for 1/3 the price. I do worry the JR's may sound a little metallic.. hard.. ringy.. with their aluminum case.

I do worry the JR's may sound a little metallic.. hard.. ringy.. with their aluminum case.

I've been listening to a pair that I've had for a couple weeks from a fellow AK'er. And believe me, they're not. At all.

They are some of the most musical and delightful speakers I've ever owned, and matched with my McIntosh MC225(16ohm taps) I can easily listen all day. To every kind of music.

Sberger.. Soon after my April 2021 post I bought pr of JR149's to compare with 15 ohm low serial # LS3/5a's. I enjoyed both models .. and did not notice any metallic ringy sound from the JR's when powered by MC-240 or a Sansui Eight. I also tried KEF's similar to LS3/5a's.. B110 & T27.. forgot model. Ultimately I decided the entire bunch did not provide the room filling sound of larger speakers.. so bought floorstanding Proac Response 2.5's. For the kitchen have been testing out Proac Tablette 2000's and Visonik David 9000's. Kitchen shelves shallow.. so only rcvr that fits is a Realistic System Seven. Just having fun experimenting. Rcvrs for the Proac 2.5's are now Sansui Eight, Eight Deluxe and Pioneer SX-838.

Last edited:
Sberger.. Soon after my April 2021 post I bought pr of JR149's to compare with 15 ohm low serial # LS3/5a's. I enjoyed both models .. and did not notice any metallic ringy sound from the JR's when powered by MC-240 or a Sansui Eight. I also tried KEF's similar to LS3/5a's.. B110 & T27.. forgot model. Ultimately I decided the entire bunch did not provide the room filling sound of larger speakers.. so bought floorstanding Proac Response 2.5's. For the kitchen have been testing out Proac Tablette 2000's and Visonik David 9000's. Just having fun experimenting. Rcvrs are now Sansui Eight, Eight Deluxe and Pioneer SX-838.

I suppose the size of the room has much to do with it. I have what could best described as medium sized room . I mostly keep volume in the moderate levels. But I can get room filling sound from the 149's. And that's with 35 watts. Perhaps not as impactful as my La Scala's or Allison One's, and without the very deep bass of my AR3's, but room filling nonetheless.

Still want to try out an actual pair of LS3/5A's just because, but I would be very surprised if I liked them better then the 149's.

See if you can borrow pr of ls3/5a's to compare with the 149's.. $1700 is serious $.

Hmmm... LaScalas and AR3's. You are living Large.

See if you can borrow pr of ls3/5a's to compare with the 149's.. $1700 is serious $.

Hmmm... LaScalas and AR3's. You are living Large.

I don't know anybody that owns LS3's other then one guy. I'm not that worried that I wouldn't like them(I'm pretty easy going when it comes to most speakers) and given their resale value I'm not too concerned that when the time came I'd have that difficult of time moving them along. I never see very many of them in the used market, although the other day noticed a pair of Falcon Gold Badge's for what seems like a reasonable price. Which is still more then I'm willing to pay.

Yes I'm a lucky guy. Also have Allison One's. And currently sitting in a spare room that I don't have room for are Cornwall's, and Bozak 302's.

My curiosity got myself 2 pairs of the Chartwell 15 ohm version made by Rogers . These were produced after they took over Chartwell. They sound quite nice and each are slight different. One pair sounding “brand new” while the Spendor sounded more loose. My conclusion is that sound can vary depends on the condition of the speakers you get in hand. I was lucky to get from a gentleman who had six pairs in house. Since they were not abused, they actually have Better clarity. I then open up the grill and look at the drivers. Wow, the newly acquired ones are in mint condition.

I guess the condition matters a lot for vintage gears.

Last edited:
My curiosity got myself 2 pairs of the Chartwell 15 ohm version made by Rogers . These were produced after they took over Chartwell. They sound quite nice and each are slight different. One pair sounding “brand new” while the Spendor sounded more loose. My conclusion is that sound can vary depends on the condition of the speakers you get in hand. I was lucky to get from a gentleman who had six pairs in house. Since they were not abused, they actually have Better clarity. I then open up the grill and look at the drivers. Wow, the newly acquired ones are in mint condition.

I guess the condition matters a lot for vintage gears.

What year are these from? Will you be updating the crossovers?

They are from 78 to 80 era. Not the ones actually made by Chartwell from the early 74 to 78. It sounded fine as is. Big open sound with sweet tone from my 30 w PP amps. It’s also the foam surround condition as well that looks like new. With such great condition, no need to upgrade

Last edited:
They are from 78 to 80 era. Not the ones actually made by Chartwell from the early 74 to 78. It sounded fine as is. Big open sound with sweet tone from my 30 w PP amps. It’s also the foam surround condition as well that looks like new. With such great condition, no need to upgrade

Caps that old tend to drift a lot, so you're probably not hearing the speakers as they were intended to sound(or as they did sound) when new. But that's irrelevant if you like the way they sound.

I drive my JR149's with McIntosh MC30's and I've found that to be a great combination.

Right. New parts are in spec will be better.
I drive ls3/5a with Stromberg Carlson asr444 integrated , mc225, Sherwood s5500 II, 6b4g PP and Lafayette kt550 and hk Citation II. I actually really like the Stromberg Carlson. It sounds great without the need for preamp. I just love the sound from nos 7027 power tubes.

Back
Top Bottom