Room frequency measurments

patate91

I was wondering if this post needs to be in DIY.

I measured my speaker in my room using my cellphone and Advanced Spectrum Analyzer. I'll get a better microphone eventually.

On the 3 pics I guess the third is better because it's more flat than in the other 2.

Also it seems to goes down a little bit between 1.2 kHz and 2.5kHz. Can I do something about it without using an equalizer? I have diy acoustics boards made of confortboard on side walls, ceiling (réflexion points) and behind speakers

Then below 50hz it goes down but m'y speaker should get to 35hz. I know the room has an impact but I lightly damped the box should I add more stuff in there tout get a better response?

http://www.geocities.jp/arai401204/Enclosure/E170/E170.html

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Although Parts Express carries this it's cheaper from Mini DSP. There is also a version that connects to a standard microphone input on a mixer.
_mg_0913.jpg

Once you get this shoot over to www.hometheatershack.com and download REW (Room Equalization Wizard).

Last edited:
What stops me from buying a microphone last year, was the fact, that once the room and system is tuned I will no longer need it.

I thought that would be able to find someone to lend me one or come to my house to get the mesurements done, but it appears it was harder than I thought.

I may I found a guy with a microphone but he won't be available until the end of june.

I already swaped speakers but I built clone of exclusive 2402 speakers. I know I may change but not in a near future. I invested a lot of money and time, ans they are keeper.

My other systems are not for critical listening.

I have to admit that if I buy one I'll tweak for couples of days or week.

What stops me from buying a microphone last year, was the fact, that once the room and system is tuned I will no longer need it.

I thought that would be able to find someone to lend me one or come to my house to get the mesurements done, but it appears it was harder than I thought.

I may I found a guy with a microphone but he won't be available until the end of june.

the $60-100 you spend on a measurement microphone and the subsequent EQ/DSP will offer immense sonic benefits compared to investing $60-100 anywhere else in your system

I've only started down the rabbit hole of in room measurements & DSP but it's really fascinating how much the room effects the sounds

In room measurements also got rid of the anxiety associated with subjective interpretation of speaker & subwoofer placement, and listening location. having 2 subs in a large room had me playing with placement for hours!! at some point my brain had tapped out. objective peace of mind is a great thing

I already swaped speakers but I built clone of exclusive 2402 speakers. I know I may change but not in a near future. I invested a lot of money and time, ans they are keeper.

My other systems are not for critical listening.

I have to admit that if I buy one I'll tweak for couples of days or week.

I hear you. For 20+ years I used the same pair of ESL's. After one suffered a melted transformer they were replaced with a pair of Magneplanars that I fully intend to use for the next 20 years.

Here we go, I bought a UMIK-1 a couples of days ago and I started to measure.

I tried different settings : there's two doors in the room, and I can adjust the tweeter's level.

Here's what I think is the best measurement I can get. (1/6 smoothing)

Meas 1.jpg

Last edited:
My plan was to build 3 bass traps on corners, since the 4th corner is impossible to modify I'll stick with 3.

There's acoustics panels at first reflexions point on side walls and ceiling.

There's also two panels behind the speakers, and I don't think they are really useful there.

Last edited:
I managed to smooth the 60hz dip a little bit and the 1k to 6k as well, by raising a little bit the seating position, covering an aquarium next to my sweet spot and adding cushion in the next to me.

Bleu = before
Red line = now
1/6 smoothing

I really need to setup some bass traps. As I can see I will certainly smooth things a little bit more.
I'll keep the rear panels since they really help. I tried them behind the seating position and it was worst.
Meas 2.jpg

Separate speaker measurements

Red = both
Green = right
Purple = left

The image is dead center right now, I guess that moving the speaker will help to correct the response but I'll have to move the right speaker as well....

Meas h-p.jpg

Compared to many in room plots yours look pretty good.

Thanks, I put a lot of efforts on my setup. To my ears the whole thing was/is sounding good. But even with small modifications, like closing doors I can extract small improvements.

My room is located in the basement, L shape with open stair that leads to ground floor. Maybe because the room is not entirely close it helps. I can even listen to my system everywhere in the house :D

It's pretty addictive to measure and mod, I don't regret buying the microphone:beerchug:

Here's the RT60.

It seeems to be at an average of 0.2 sec.

Green= topt
Black = T20
Purple = T30
Light blue = EDT

I need to read on that because I'm a little bit lost with those measurments. I know that it's good to aim between 0.3 and 0.5 sec. Some one can help me on that?

RT60.jpg

Back
Top Bottom