Rotel CD deck won't close???

Ramseybella

AK Member
I started playing a CD in my Rotel RCD-990 player it stopped and tray came out and would not go back in.
Gives err on screen, can't even push it in until you turn the power off, turn it on and it opens and same err.
What could it be.

It seems to want to stay forced open, when pushing it in while power is the tray motor starts and pushes it back out.
Once it's out the motor stops.
Opened it up and put a disc in while the power was off then turned the power on while holding the drawer closed it doesn't spin and read just wants to ejects.
One of my favorite players out of the pile.. :(

I don't know the model but there may well be a tray in / tray out leaf or micro switch somewhere around the tray which is gummed up in the close / open position. Either that or it could as bad as the laser diode not detecting the disk. If it senses the disk but can't read the TOC it will keep spitting it back out

I would check any switches in and around the tray first and try cleaning the laser lens. Also check the rails that the laser assembly rides on - they can get sticky and cause problems.

Grab a service manual and have at it :)

In fact if your disk isn't even spinning up, it's probably a tray logic problem (open close position issue).

Cleaned the lens, rails are fine belts seem good tray gear that commonly breaks looked fine switch wasn't gummed up.
Had it unplugged all night nothing same issue..
In fact i was amazed how out of the box clean the inside of this unit was..
I have never had a deck do this just insist on opening and stay open when you turn the power on.

Last edited:
Did a little reading and found the leaf switch tabs bend over time and allow the tray to overshoot it's limit..
Don't think this is the issue but i have the sort of limited service manual and it has two switches.
Most likely it's the lower switch in the front?
I will open it again this afternoon..
But on a side note why would it just open if it's not hitting any limit switch other than the closed position switch?
So again it could be a deeper issue!!!:idea:

Last edited:
There is a belt that opens and closes the tray - the gear that always breaks runs belt. I don’t think a bad belt would cause the symptoms you describe, but it wouldn’t hurt to try changing it.

Let us know what turns out to be the problem. I have the same player, and it’s an outstanding deck. Both the Philips CDM-9 Pro drive and the Burr Brown PCM-63 DACs are real classics - the peak of true multibit conversion.

Both Belts are good gear is good, put a meter on the limit switch seems to be functioning.
Yeah it's a freaking good sounding player, super clean in and out..
Just doesn't work.

I believe I had that problem with one of those a few years back.
You can get a replacement gear and belt on eBay for about $20.

I inspected the gear it has no missing teeth or cracks..
It was fairly easy to get to the belt and gear the tray is easy to remove on this deck, i was supersized how easy.
I feel this is at a higher level of a problem it's an electrical circuit more than mechanical.
Tray comes out motor stops and tray stays firm, motor kicks on if you try to force it in.
You have to turn off the power to push it back.

Back
Top Bottom