Rotel RDD-1580 vs. Rega DAC-R vs. Audiolab M-DAC

Discussion in 'DACs' started by N.Cotman, Sep 23, 2017.

1. N.Cotman

N.Cotman New Member

Hi everyone,

If there is already a thread that might help me with this please let me know.

I am considering purchasing one of these three DACs, but its looking like home auditions will not be possible. I've heard the RDD-1580 (not in my system) and it sounded great. I've read that the DAC-R is simply amazing and quite warm sounding, whereas the M-DAC is overly analytical.

I am wondering if anybody who has experience with any or all three of these DACs could shed some light on which they prefer and why?

Thanks!
    Nick

Please register to disable this ad.

2. MarcoLeo

MarcoLeo New Member

Hi Nick.
    I am considering too a Rotel rdd 1580 and a rega dac.
    I search a warm / analog sound, without the cold edges of digital sound.
    Have you heard these devices?

I own a rotel cd 14 + naim 5i + martin logan esl and it sounds too much digital!
    I was surprised that rotel makes colds cd player, 'cause in the past rotel was known for warm sound. But a dealer said the rdd 1580 is different and has a warm sound like old rotels.
    So I would like to compare it with rega, but it'is not easy now.

I'll be gratefull to you for every info.
    Thanks.

3. Danddd

Danddd AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm auditioning a Rega Dac-R now. I preferred it over a NAD M51 DAC. I'm finding the Rega nice, I use filter 3, but at times a little grating. I am also going to audition the new Beresford Caiman SEG DAC. It will be interesting as the Beresford is cheap at $260.00 delivered, but has a big following in the UK. I am really curious how it compares.