Router that can handle a 4 TB USB drive

Moon_Man

Dreps Crone Maze
Subscriber
Does anyone have any experience with a router that can take a 4 TB external drive hooked up to the USB port? My Netgear router won't take it - it will take a 1 TB external drive but it doesn't recognize the 4 TB one. I would like to get this drive down on the network router so that it's easier to access on my network - I keep my flac files on this drive and access them wirelessly through the network, but currently have the drive connected to a laptop on my desk so to access the files I need to make sure the laptop is awake. Not ideal.

Thanks.
Tom

botrytis - that Asus info was very helpful. I'm particularly interested in this statement:

"To share, access and backup files wirelessly, simply attach an USB flash disk or USB hard disk driver (FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS file systems) to create a FTP server."

Do you think that means if I run server host software line Filezilla I can access my files through these routers from off-network? That would be very helpful for sharing files, etc.

LesE - Ha! I got just a bit into that article and bailed. Way too much to do. Thanks anyway.

It's really not as involved as it sounds. You need to format a micro SD card and copy the OMV image to it. Connect the RPi3 to your router and your USB drive to the RPi, insert the micro SD and power up. Next, go into your router to find the IP address of the RPi and then connect to the OMV gui from a browser on your PC. Once you are into OMV, the rest is configutation to mount your drive, create network shares and set permissions and passwords.

Les

Back
Top Bottom