Roy Gallagher

Rory since the 70's, Rory Gallagher Live in Europe is a great album. Lots of younger folk into older music, maybe because there isn't much to offer today. I know in the mid seventies I was done looking for new music, it was all crap. My friend owned a record store and we would play cards there at night. Never any new music worth listening to, untill one night he said, I want you to listen to this guy, he's great, I thought, yah right,.......... it was SRV, Texas Flood, shortly after got another SRV album in, and shortly after that he layed a pass on the table to go on the River Boat President to see Stevie, there was about 150 or so people there, floating down the Mississippi on a stern wheel river boat,watching Stevie and Double Trouble. Music took a turn for the best then. Alot of people woke up, Eric Clapton for one.

When Jasong mentioned his boy made me laugh. When my wife was pregnant with our first, I would put the headphones on her stomach and play Deep Purple-Machine Head over and over. When my daughter was born, she was crying to "Maybe I'm A Leo"

In all serious, I had the privledge to see Rory live in Germany in 1981. He was on the Jinx tour if my memory serve me. He was brilliant!! It really is a tragedy when the greats die so young, like Phil Linot from Thin Lizzy. Another great. In Germany back then these guys played everywhere so I was able to see Rory again 2 nights later only an hour away. Again it was a great show. I went out and got just about every LP I could find.

Unfortunetly for us, most European acts never did hit it big here. Rory being one of many. Even today I noticed that mos of the bands I was into back then are still going very strong over there. Uriah Heep, Saxon, Krokus and many more are still making new music and touring all over everywhere but here. It's good to know that there are still people that really appreciate true music that artists like Rory made. These guys played with more emotion than anything any of these fly bys could ever even try to muster.

I am rather new to this forum and so glad I found it. I was around way back then and can remember the day I bought the first Black Sabbath LP when it hit the stores. 2 years before Led Zepplin!!

I just recently saw Judas Priest on the Nostradamus tour and can honestly say they are just getting beter and better. I wonder how many new, and for lack of a better term, artists do you think will be around as long as them.

Hey, sorry to get off topic here it's just so good to know that there are sooo many of us still remembering such a true guitar legend as Rory. Let's just hope he will never be forgotten.

Ed

I have been a huge Rory fan since Irish Tour 74 came out! That guy made me want to learn guitar! Listen to "I wonder Who" and "Walk on Hot Coals" from that album.

See his "Wheels Within' Wheels" album (2003) to understand just how wide Rory's talent was. It's all unreleased acoustic folk/blues/bluegrass/etc. and a marvel. I think of him as the Sonny Landreth of Europe.

He played in The Box Of Frogs with the original members of The Yardbirds - great album!

There is one track on that album, cannot recall which one from memory, featuring Rory on guitar and Roger Chapman on vocals. It is a pretty cool album.

Many excellent Rory LPs out there but be sure to grab all the live stuff you can, Rory was a hell of a showman, really one of the great stage performers in the whole rock thing.

There is one track on that album, cannot recall which one from memory, featuring Rory on guitar and Roger Chapman on vocals. It is a pretty cool album.

You're probably thinking of "Heart Full Of Soul" on the second album they did titled 'Strangeland'. Roger didn't sing on any songs on the first album.

The FIRST album, titled 'Box Of Frogs' really kicks ass - Jeff Beck played lead guitar on 4 of the songs.

The CD has both albums on it.

You're probably thinking of "Heart Full Of Soul" on the second album they did titled 'Strangeland'. Roger didn't sing on any songs on the first album.

The FIRST album, titled 'Box Of Frogs' really kicks ass - Jeff Beck played lead guitar on 4 of the songs.

The CD has both albums on it.

You are correct---I had my Frogs confused.

Rory!!!

It does the heart good to see this interest in RG.I saw him just after Taste broke up at Whisky's.....I think 100 people where in attendance..........he and the band gave everything to us that nite.I miss him for his authenticity and his gentle nature.Wasn't caught up in the Rock Star crap....a perfect role model for aspiring guitarist!

I picked up a DVD of his at Borders a few weeks back when they went half price, but i've yet to watch it. Looks to be a compilation of performances over about a 10 year period. I've also got a DVD of his 1974 tour, but it's pretty grainy. Music is good though.

I was fortunate enough to see him play live 3 times. His guitar playing came from the heart, a lot like Stevie Ray's guitar playing did. Gems, both of them, absolute gems.

Youtube has some nice video thanks to his dedicated fans which I'm proud to be.Hard to fathom his passing 14 years ago.RIP Rory

Well, been lurkin' here for about a year and didn't even know this thread existed till a few minutes ago!

Have to put in my two cents, that the name Rory Gallagher does bring back a lot of memories that are buried back in the fog somewhere. When a friend of mine turned me on to his first few albums, that's all we listened to for a long time.

Several of us caught his show at the Cowtown Ballroom in Kansas City in '73 or '74 (?). And what a SHOW! During one jam, one of the guitar strings broke and he replaced it without missing a beat.

Several years after that, ran into some friends of my brothers who, unbeknownst to me, were also there. Almost in unison we exclaimed, "Could you believe that show? It must have lasted at least 3 hours!" So it couldn't have been the, uh,....you know.

And hey kids, it cost all of $1.00 to get in, which in todays dolllars.......... is priceless!!

I was fortunate to hear him play an outdoor gig in Central Park on the 1974 (I think it was) tour. He was very special, that's for sure. Extremely soulful.

Rory was an inspiring player in studio or on stage, but especially (for me) in the latter mode. No tricks of tape or second chances, he played without a net, and 'twere always brilliant moments even in the sloppiest (read: drunken) of sets, but when he was "on" -- oh lord, did the air buzz. I'll miss him forever & thank the lord for the tapers (his & the audience types) who captured what performances were captured.

The Tattoo LP was extremely warped - I notified PopMarket - and within minutes they responded that they will be shipping me a new one for free - great service from popmarket.com - just an FYI

Back
Top Bottom