RS4 vs RS4b

MydadsRS4s

I actually have a few questions that speared up from reading a few different threads.
First: in the Infinity world were do the RS4's fall in line with performance and quality amoung there infinity models
Second: what is the difference between RS4 and RS4b. Is it internals or major exterior difference too. Might sound dumb but I have the original boxes and they just say RS4 on them but I've seen picture and the B's look the same if the pictures are correct.
The reason I'm asking is these we're my Dads (who has passed away) and was told all my life that these are some kick ass speakers. After joining this site and doing some reading it's making me curious on where they actually fall in line.
Thank you

I posted in your other thread, were the fuses on your RS4's on the outside of the speaker on the terminal plate?
Or inside on the crossover itself?

You've probably seen this, but just in case....
http://www.infinity-classics.de/models/Reference-series-1+b-2-10+A+B-1981-86/index-Reference.htm

It has a link to a schematic that I'm guessing is the 4B since there is no fuse outside on the rear terminal plate.
Would be nice if there was an "official" RS 4 schematic available somewhere.

JMO--your RS4's are among the smaller "big Infinitys".
Infinity made several bigger models and several smaller models, I'd say yours are pretty much in the middle as far as classic Infinitys go.
So that makes them pretty darn good.
Worth hanging onto especially given their sentimental value.

Here's a thread with an AK member who may have found the RS4 schematic but never posted it...
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/infinity-rs4-crossover-schematic.516915/
You might try PM'ing (start conversation) with him and see if he can offer any help.

Does anyone know where the fuses for the RS4 (NOT 4B) are located?

Thanks for the picture showing the fuse location. The one shot on Klaus's site showing the RS4B terminal plate has no fuse, I think that may have an internal fuse/circuit breaker deal on the crossover board itself.
So that is one difference between the RS4 and RS4B, plus made fixing your speakers much easier too!
I wonder if the different color schemes for the EMITs and polydomes, some are gray w/blue lettering, some are gray w/orange lettering is another way to differentiate between the 4 and 4B models?
Do your 4's have blue or orange lettering on the EMITs and polydomes?

Just looked in my spares pile, I have EMITs and polydomes from RS6B that have blue lettering.
Also, my 6B crossovers have an internal fuse/circuit breaker, not an external fuse.
I have 5B crossovers, they also have an internal fuse/circuit breaker.
I have a pair of EMITs from RS6 with orange lettering.

From a very small sampling, so far
B models MAY have blue lettering and internal EMIT protection
Non B MAY have external fuses and orange lettering.
If others want to add info please feel free.

Last edited:
Gray with orange lettering.
Yes it defiantly made it a easy fix. It's time to dial in limits on my receiver so that won't happen again!!!

EDIT------- Ok, that helps with my color of lettering theory.

So many numbers and colors...
So far in a very small sampling, B models have blue lettering, number only has red.
So far...

That would have been a nice and easy visual way to tell them apart. :/
Not sure if it makes any difference but I have been shopping back up parts just in case (fingers crossed never needing too) and the gray EMIT and polydomes are not as available out there. Not sure if that means more rare or not. Just a observation.

That would have been a nice and easy visual way to tell them apart. :/
Not sure if it makes any difference but I have been shopping back up parts just in case (fingers crossed never needing too) and the gray EMIT and polydomes are not as available out there. Not sure if that means more rare or not. Just a observation.

I changed my previous post, your colors DO support my theory.
But it's a very small sampling.

Your dad was right, kick ass speakers. It's great you are keeping them. I owned the stumpier variety of the RS4 for a time as well. If I did not have so many pairs of infinities I would have kept them.

There was a size difference between the 2 speakers as well. The RS4 was shorter than the RS4B, with the bottom woofer very near the floor. The RS4 was basically a large bookshelf, where the RS4B was a floor stander, with a small built in base.

RS4

215294_large_72e8092e231fdc5b27f73fa0175eb015.jpg

RS4B

RS4b-8.jpg

Besides the size difference I see those have blue lettering for the "B" model and orange for the number only model.
That seems to be fairly consistent.
Would be interesting to see the RS4 schematic and see what differences there are besides the number only has an external fuse.

Just for reference I used to drive RS-IIIa's (RS-4's big brother) with Onkyo TX-8522 2-channel receiver (clean 100 wpc at 8 Ohm), and it was less than optimal. The bass was muted and the receiver simply could not breath the speakers to life. Onkyo A-9070 (clean 145 wpc at 4 Ohm) integrated on the other hand was an excellent match for these speakers.

May be worth writing to Harman re: schematics, I was unable to find any for my RS-5b (looks like those were a RS-4b with one woofer) anywhere on the interwebs, but they had them scanned and archived and promptly sent to me when I asked.

Back
Top Bottom