RSII verses RS 2.5

geph0007

AK Member
Subscriber
I am looking at a pair of RS II speakers (with the cone midrange units) that need to be restored. How would these compare sound wise to the RS 2.5? Thanks

I have both and like them very much. Tweeters sound very similar as both have one front and one rear emit which have that Infinity signature zoomyness. Rs2.5 midrange is a little hot compared to the RSII but very pleasing to me. Can be fatiguing with some recordings. Rs2.5 bass is superior in my opinion, very controlled and super tight. A stout solid state amp will really grab that woofer for very realistic drums and bass guitar. Some will hear a disconnect between the mid and woofers but not me. Rs2.5 is my favorite rock and roll speaker of all my Infinitys. The midranges can be problematic. Not that big a deal as they are available on eBay but are a little pricey.

RSII midrange is a little more relaxed (but not much) than the rs2.5. Bass is slightly woolly and again benefits from a stout amp. RSII is very easy to maintain with only foam woofer surrounds to replace. Very sweet sounding and gets more love on the Infinity forum than the RS2.5. In the looks department the RSII wins hands down. The large deep cabinets takes up a fair amount of real estate though compared to the slimmer rs2.5.

Its a very close call, if I were to choose one it would be the rs2.5 but that's just me.

I have both.
Both are very nice speaker systems.
That said, I think the RSII has a more natural timbre and soundstage especially the midrange.
As slim says the RS 2.5 bass does have more oomph.
It seems the two tens in the RSII should be able to dig deeper however the cabinets they occupy could have been a bit larger to provide more lows.
I think I'll make time to measure those huge woofer capacitors just to make sure full signal is getting through to the RSII drivers.

^^^tubed, I thought the same thing about the RSII bass. The cabinet is very nicely made with individual compartments for each driver. Maybe it could use a recap. The RS2.5 cabinet is 1" thick mdf which may also contribute to the tightness of the bass.

Good responses. Not sure what a pair of RSII is worth that need restoring. Do not want to get buried. Guess I would have to go a different form for that. If I am looking for a part can I ask here?? Ii put it in the BT wanteds.

Not in the sense we think of today, if I were to describe what the material is I would say
a form of compressed chip board or such that was used back in the day and no longer
produced.
Not sure if I like today's mdf as much. That old stuff may lack a little in stiffness and durability but deadens the cabinet very well. Try picking up a rs2.5 then say the RSIIb. Old RS are heavier by a fair margin.
Jim

Good responses. Not sure what a pair of RSII is worth that need restoring. Do not want to get buried. Guess I would have to go a different form for that. If I am looking for a part can I ask here?? Ii put it in the BT wanteds.

I see you are new, here are some AK guidelines...
Questions of value are to be asked in the Dollars and Sense area.
WTB (want to buy) ads are only allowed in the Barter Town area.
Hope this helps and welcome to AK.

Not sure if I like today's mdf as much.

The issue I have with the RS cabinet material is overtime the bonding agent used dries out and losses it strength
to the point where it flakes and breaks apart, not many RS grill frames you find are not broken, mine are all rebuilt.

The issue I have with the RS cabinet material is overtime the bonding agent used dries out and losses it strength
to the point where it flakes and breaks apart, not many RS grill frames you find are not broken, mine are all rebuilt.
No sooner than right after I had painstakingly pieced and glued up my RS 2.5 grills, they broke in a different place when I absentmindedly snugged them into position a bit to hard:whip:
Perhaps the grills were made of a different quality particle board than the cabinets:dunno:

Perhaps the grills were made of a different quality particle board than the cabinets

More so the grill frames are exposed to the air and not veneered and sealed.
Same type material there's a reason it was made for a relatively short time as far as
wood products go.
Never re glue the frames, make a template and re build them all. Its more than a bit of work but unless you don't want grills
the only real option.

My RS II grilles were broken when I bought them last year and had been repaired with the old glue and popcicle stick repair job.
Of course they broke again shortly after I got them.
I tried a couple types of glue, tried metal strips and screws, also built some screen moulding outer frames for them which I tried to attach using 2 or 3 different staples/staple gun nails.
The old particle board was just not receptive to any sort of fastener I tried, usually just cracking or crumbling the material.
In addition, my experience is that once they are broken and repaired theres a 50/50 chance the alignment is off a bit which can make lining up the 4 attachment holes a little difficult.
I did finally get the screen moulding to attach well enough that I can remove and replace the grilles without them flopping over like a cheap lawn chair.
Page two of this thread shows a picture with the "frames" around the grille...
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...me-bigger-infinitys-for-a-while.713134/page-2
I did restain the frames to better match the OEM Infinity color after that picture was taken.
Like totem mentioned, the best solution is probably new grille frames made from a different material.

Last edited:
I currently have the 2.5 and RS II and think they are both very good speakers. Almost equal, but different. Can't say I'd be happier with one over the other. The RS II would be cheaper to do repairs on if you had to replace any of the drivers.

The RS 2.5 grills are not so bad to repair if you have a table saw. I posted a couple years ago on AK about what I did on my grills and they've been quite durable. Check out 'Slow but sure RS 2.5 refurb' and go to page six. I smack the grills in place with the palm of my hand and have dropped the grills too with no breakage. That Gorilla Glue is some tough stuff and the little braces I added made a huge difference.

Larry D.

Back
Top Bottom