russian k40 pio break-in

giorgi

What is your gentlemen's experience with Russian PIO K40 and break-in time? Take some time to be at best?

What is your gentlemen's experience with Russian PIO K40 and break-in time? Take some time to be at best?
I replaced all the caps in a Marantz 7 preamp with K40y9 and at first listen i thought wow, that was a big mistake! But after a couple of days it started to sound a lot better. And after maybe 20 hours the sound was very good. I am sure break in time is different with different voltages.

Yep Agree. They start to sound super nice after 50 hours. At the beginning, it was a nightmare.

Much better after 50 to 100 hours on them, haven't personally noted much change after this.

That's my subjective view only of course.

Last edited:
I can't say I timed it. In the past I've heard a 100 hours. That being said it's not an on off kind of thing. Probably biggest change in first dozen hours. More subtle as time goes on. So I'll also say this. I've experienced it first hand on several pieces. Nobody yet has presented a plausible description to what is actually happening (being how they test fine before and after break in.
Also I don't remember having the same kind of experience with other kinds of film caps.
Some don't believe in cap break in at all.

I can't say I timed it. In the past I've heard a 100 hours. That being said it's not an on off kind of thing. Probably biggest change in first dozen hours. More subtle as time goes on. So I'll also say this. I've experienced it first hand on several pieces. Nobody yet has presented a plausible description to what is actually happening (being how they test fine before and after break in.
Also I don't remember having the same kind of experience with other kinds of film caps.
Some don't believe in cap break in at all.
The EEs think that people who hear caps break in also go to area 51 to look for UFO's. But my Marantz experience belies that. so, why or whatever is happening seems to be in the audio range. At least the change is going from duhh to all right!

Agreed.
MC275, 2xMC240 and 2xMC225 Did exhibit that break in period. And one pair of Allen Organ 75.
I am like Saint Thomas: I believe in what I see. In this example, what I have heard. Clearly to my experiences, like Primo said, it went from "did I make a huge mistake" to "what a great success" :)

... about 600 hours worst case ...

(patience is a virtue, but they ARE worth the wait.)

I usually think they are pretty ok after a few hrs even but they seem to keep getting better little by little over time. For the price they are hard to beat. I use them somewhere at least in any audio gear I have. First zenith tube radio I repaired I used them which was way overkill for a radio, what a waste now thinking about it. I have a small stock but need some more values.

Back
Top Bottom