Russian K40Y-9 PIO vs K42Y-2 Caps, any difference?

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by buickguy62, Jul 4, 2013.

1. buickguy62

buickguy62 Active Member

I'm recapping a Harman Kardon A500 amp and wonder if there is any difference between Russian PIO's K40Y-9 and K42Y-2 caps. I can get the '42's (.22uf, 500V), haven't located the 40's in that value--so is there any difference between the '42's and the 40's?
    Thanks in advance,
  2. Don P

Don P Active Member

2Y's just kidding. i have heard some people say yes and some say no but i cant say. i just used the K40Y-9's

3. icenine

icenine Super Member

some people think the green are not as good as the other ones
  4. jaymanaa

jaymanaa AK Subscriber Subscriber

I use the green ones a lot and love them. I've never had a piece of leftover military stuff from Russia that I could find any fault with. They made good shit, not as good as ours, but damn good.
  5. icenine

icenine Super Member

Yep those Russian 6V6 equivalents are cheap and sound very nice on my Maggie. I got some K40Y .068uf coupling caps in that too...I guess one would call them rose copper (or gold?) colored ...I do not know what color they are lol....look cool
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  6. roline

roline Active Member

Used the green 0.22u in several amps. They sound better than they look....

Attached Files:

7. analog addict

analog addict Glory or Death! Subscriber

Some people like the K75s as well....
  8. Charm

Charm New Member

K40 - foil
    K42 - metallized
    draw conclusions
  9. audiodon

audiodon AK Subscriber Subscriber

K42s are smaller and sometimes that matters. If I were doing it I'd mix the caps up and not use only one type thru the whole amp. Sonically, I like both but they are different. The k40s are neutral & slightly sweet. The k42s throw a great soundstage
  10. Sam Cogley

Sam Cogley Last of the Time Lords Subscriber

I've had excellent results with the K42s. I haven't used the K40s much, but have a set for my Scott LK-150 and will report back after I've had a chance to listen.
  11. denny3249

denny3249 A Grumpy Geezer Subscriber

I've used both and have been happy with the results. To these old, abused ears, they both sound nice.
  12. NOSValves

NOSValves Super Member

The K42 is most definitely not metalized... they have distinct separate layers of film (possibly paper hard to tell) and foil with some oil present. I've cut them apart to confirm.
  13. michaelsamra

michaelsamra michaelsamra

The smaller green K42s are metallized and that isn't a bad thing.

They are good but I like the k40s better...Just be sure to mix caps..paper in oil caps work superbly on the output and innerstages where you have B+ present on them..On the preamp output you can nichicon Qz or any decent film and foil or the Green k42s.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013