S-100 Seeburg Jukebox PT replacement ?

Wiring diagram service manuel is what I meant. I Will get one ordered tomarrow !. Where I live restored jukeboxes only bring about 500 dollars tops ! , That is all people are willing to pay for them. It cost me about 300 by the time I got it home. I replaced the mono amp with a stereo amp, worked on the mech for 3 days !.

Last edited:
SKU is a short way of saying skumatic not stock keeping unit ? Your the first tech I have ever seen who has interpited sku that way !
I've never seen SKU used to mean schematic, and there's no such thing as a skumatic. Maybe it's an American thing, as I've lived in Canada and the UK most of my life.

New one on me too, and I've lived here all my life. I have occasionally seen them referred to as a "scat", and as bad as some of them are I can understand that.

As far as sku goes, it was a term used in a electronics factory where I worked for wiring diagrams by the techs and management back in the late 70's here in the USA.
Maybe terminology specific to that company?

Unless you misunderstood something. When I was doing computer consulting in Canada, SKU was pronounced "skew" and was consistently used to mean a product code. I can imagine someone overhearing "give me the SKU for that amplifier board" and thinking it refers to the schematic rather than the product code.

Maybe terminology specific to that company?

Unless you misunderstood something. When I was doing computer consulting in Canada, SKU was pronounced "skew" and was consistently used to mean a product code. I can imagine someone overhearing "give me the SKU for that amplifier board" and thinking it refers to the schematic rather than the product code.
There were no bar codes back in the 1970's, sku was short for skew. It was a wiring diagram.

Last edited:
There were no bar codes back in the 1970's, sku was short for skew. It was a wiring diagram here. If someone asked for a skew or sku they were handed a wiring diagram back then. I realize that today and even back then it could mean more , but why would a stock number have anything to do with an electrical repair or short ?
SKU is pronounced "skew". If "skew" was used to mean a schematic -- maybe as a short form of "schematic", like "schew" -- it was probably unique to your company.

Bar codes were invented in the early 1950s, started general use in the mid 1970s, and they were relatively common in some industries by the late 1970s. "SKU" was a term used to mean an inventory number before that; barcodes were invented as a way of encoding SKU's in a machine-readable fashion.

SKU is pronounced "skew". If "skew" was used to mean a schematic -- maybe as a short form of "schematic", like "schew" -- it was probably unique to your company.

Bar codes were invented in the early 1950s, started general use in the mid 1970s, and they were relatively common in some industries by the late 1970s. "SKU" was a term used to mean an inventory number before that; barcodes were invented as a way of encoding SKU's in a machine-readable fashion.
I just think it was just easier to say sku instead of schematic and that is why they used it. I never interpited it any other way.

Last edited:
Got the service manuel and wiring diagram today and it is a good quality copy. CR 3108 is the diode that is blowing in the SCC6 control center. Here is the wiring diagram for the SCC6 and for the SPU4 sence they both work together. But the short is only in the SCC6 when tested separate. I have not had a chance to read the manuel yet. I let the diode blow again at CR 3108 and I tested the rest of the voltages just to see where they were at. The 27 volt was good, the 150 source was low at only 85 vdc, the read out load and source are jumped together and they read 89 volts. There was no voltages on the write in circuit.

Attachments

• 20180713_175449.jpg
    20180713_175449.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 2018-07-13 18.19.38.jpg
    2018-07-13 18.19.38.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180713_175736.jpg
    20180713_175736.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
In the repair industry, Road Map, or Schemo was what I heard for wiring diagrams or service literature. Gary, your diagnostic skills are more than OK. You know basic troubleshooting if not moderate troubleshooting just fine. Seeburgs aren't always the easiest to work on. They can be complex. You tackled a Tough Dog, and got it running from a basket case, I respect skills like this.

And sometimes, you can get a jukebox which is possessed from new. And never gets sorted out for many years. Case in point. A AMI-Rowe MM-1 which was hexed from new. Ran a day or two, repaired, put back on the route, did this 4 more times. Then put in the warehouse (Don't pull parts from this machine, unreliable from new). I got this given to me for parts from a routeman friend, it got trucked to one of the transmitter sites. Mint condition, low use. Cleaned it, lubricated the mechanism and recapped the amplifier, and selection receiver. Worked a day or two, then sound vanished.

So, armed with the repair manual, and a parts amplifier (which I got working fine without incident) audio got restored. Occasionally wanted to blow a main fuse. Delved deeper inside, and checked wiring against schematics. Wound up with 18 unsoldered connections, two shorted connections which had to be repaired, and a bad rectifier tube. The worst problem was the original amplifier, how it passed QC, nobody knows. Soldered a lot of connections which never were properly, some bad resistors way out of tolerance, a new rectifier tube, and never ever gave me issues. Plays as fine as you could want. And that's been for 5 years at that. Had to have been a Friday last shift machine.

Last edited:
I just looked at and compared your before and after pictures. It looks like you have the new capacitor on the diode end of the terminal strip installed reverse polarity. That will blow the diode. Recheck your work and compare pics then correct any errors. I could be wrong as I cannot see the complete new cap in the circuit.

In the repair industry, Road Map, or Schemo was what I heard for wiring diagrams or service literature. Gary, your diagnostic skills are more than OK. You know basic troubleshooting if not moderate troubleshooting just fine. Seeburgs aren't always the easiest to work on. They can be complex. You tackled a Tough Dog, and got it running from a basket case, I respect skills like this.

And sometimes, you can get a jukebox which is possessed from new. And never gets sorted out for many years. Case in point. A AMI-Rowe MM-1 which was hexed from new. Ran a day or two, repaired, put back on the route, did this 4 more times. Then put in the warehouse (Don't pull parts from this machine, unreliable from new). I got this given to me for parts from a routeman friend, it got trucked to one of the transmitter sites. Mint condition, low use. Cleaned it, lubricated the mechanism and recapped the amplifier, and selection receiver. Worked a day or two, then sound vanished.

So, armed with the repair manual, and a parts amplifier (which I got working fine without incident) audio got restored. Occasionally wanted to blow a main fuse. Delved deeper inside, and checked wiring against schematics. Wound up with 18 unsoldered connections, two shorted connections which had to be repaired, and a bad rectifier tube. The worst problem was the original amplifier, how it passed QC, nobody knows. Soldered a lot of connections which never were properly, some bad resistors way out of tolerance, a new rectifier tube, and never ever gave me issues. Plays as fine as you could want. And that's been for 5 years at that. Had to have been a Friday last shift machine.
I have a MM1 Carosel with a trasistor amplifier that had some serious audio problems when I first got it , fixed now , had a amp mod recall on those amps, I did not know tube amp hybrids came in MM1 jukeboxes ?, I Thought they were all transistor amps.

Last edited:
I just looked at and compared your before and after pictures. It looks like you have the new capacitor on the diode end of the terminal strip installed reverse polarity. That will blow the diode. Recheck your work and compare pics then correct any errors. I could be wrong as I cannot see the complete new cap in the circuit.
Not blowing diode now, I figured out that a secondary tap was grounded to primary ground at the chassis causing a short and blowing out the diode. That tap gave me the proper voltage that I needed. Now it all looks good and is recapped also, just need to bench test the voltages now in it and the pricing unit and coin mech. Just have not got back to it yet ! , need to pull the coin mech out also. The pricing unit is just laying inside I removed it already. Need to bench everything before installing, these parts are hard to get if not almost impossible, there were only 400 machine's like this one made and no other machine's use these parts. I have to test everything even the wiring just to make sure nothing else burns up like the PT did. I was pretty lucky that I had a PT that works in it in from a old control center. Got to make sure !

Last edited:
I have a MM1 Carosel with a trasistor amplifier that had some serious audio problems when I first got it , fixed now , had a amp mod recall on those amps, I did not know tube amp hybrids came in MM1 jukeboxes ?, I Thought they were all transistor amps. It is a nice machine when working properly . The balance adjustments were pretty tricky to get it adjusted right after the recall modification . Mine Had bad tone arm wiring, that is pretty common with Ami Rowe jukeboxes. I have a 7 up logo MM4 Trident , a few MM5 and MM6 all with tube output amplifiers. Have not restored the MM5"s yet ! , I Have two complete MM5's and some parts machine's, one a California and one a New Orleans. I Have another MM4 Trident with the copper finish an unusual model but it is missing some parts inside . I like The MM models but I have seen some serious problems with them due mostly to either the assembly or poor maintenance or both !. I am pretty good with most Old Ami and Ami Rowes, the newer R computer models have module and computer problems. Bad plastic, bad pioneer cd players, bad woofer cones. I'm Not very fond of those. The Rowe Ami may seem possesed sometimes but eventually the demons get an understanding that I am not going to give up until it is fixed. I have not got back to working on the SCC6 yet !. Looking at the diagram the 4 diode section looks to be for running a walbox stepper and it won't be used. I want to bench test the credit unit , coin mech and the SCC6 before I try using them all together again. I can't get those replacement parts so I must make sure that everything is ok first. Even the wiring needs to be tested first. I can't cut any corners everything must be examined thoroughly.

In that era, AMI jukeboxes could be had with tube ampliifiers as options. Most MM1 were SS.

In that era, AMI jukeboxes could be had with tube ampliifiers as options. Most MM1 were SS.
Is the MM1 tube amp the same amplifier and transistor pre amp that was is used in the MM5 ? I have replaced the transistor amps with the tube amps berfore in MM4 and MM5's , the wiring for both is in both of those models. See picture of MM5 amp is that the same one in your MM1 ?

Attachments

• 2018-07-15 14.47.51.jpg
    2018-07-15 14.47.51.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom