SACD recommendations

Thanks for the endorsement of Brothers in Arms. I've been on the fence on that one.

I did receive Steely Dan - Gaucho in the mail today (DVD-A), and I have to say I'm impressed. I need to give it another listen (I spent more time figuring out how to configure the sound system than listening - I finally figured out that I had to use the 6-channel-direct setting) later when the house is empty, but so far pretty darn good.

I recently picked of a copy of Dire Straits Brothers In Arms 20th Anniversary Edition SACD.

It's an import - Vertigo 9871498.

I currently own 47 SACDs, some outstanding and some, not so much. This one is hands down the finest sounding SACD or CD I own! Truly amazing. I'm playing back on a McIntosh MCD500. This disc just blows me away every time I play it. I give it my highest recommendation to any Dire Straits fan or anyone who just wants to hear the potential the format has to offer.:thmbsp:

Thanks for the endorsement of Brothers in Arms. I've been on the fence on that one.

I did receive Steely Dan - Gaucho in the mail today (DVD-A), and I have to say I'm impressed. I need to give it another listen (I spent more time figuring out how to configure the sound system than listening - I finally figured out that I had to use the 6-channel-direct setting) later when the house is empty, but so far pretty darn good.

I just recieved both of these last week. Alas, my Yamaha DVD-S2700 SACD/DVD-A player has not yet arrived.

Brothers In Arms sound fantastic even on my ancient Sharp CD player (it won't play the DVD-A).

2297b340dca0f48368119010.L.jpg

Found a new SACD at Best Buy today. Don’t usually go there but I was getting some new tires mounted for my car so went next door while I was waiting. I went into the Jazz CD section to find slim pickings. I was about ready to leave when I noticed something that read Peter Green that caught my eye, “Man of the World, reflections on Peter Green”.

This is a tribute album made back in 95 by a great bunch of musicians. I was extra surprised to see this copy is the Music Fidelity SACD re-master by Steve Hoffman.

Billy Sheehan (David Lee Roth Band), Rory Gallagher (his last recording?), Arthur Brown, Snowy White, Dave Peverett (Foghat), Rod Price (Foghat), Southside Johnny, Larry McCray, Luther Grosvenor, Savoy Brown, Paul Jones, and Ian Anderson all contribute.

I guess this version only has half the songs of the original, but its great bunch of Peter Green songs done very good. As I have never heard the orignianal version, called "Rattlesnake Guitar", I can't compare it. This one seems to sound just fine but maybe not any better than the Redbook version?

An update, the redbook tracks on this hybrid CD have some serious problems. The last 3 tracks will not even play...

The same SACD tracks sound great!

Last edited:
I have this one; it seems to carry more weight in the bottom end (in a good way), possibly at the sub-sonic level.

2297b340dca0f48368119010.L.jpg

Found a new SACD at Best Buy today. Don’t usually go there but I was getting some new tires mounted for my car so went next door while I was waiting. I went into the Jazz CD section to find slim pickings. I was about ready to leave when I noticed something that read Peter Green that caught my eye, “Man of the World, reflections on Peter Green”.

This is a tribute album made back in 95 by a great bunch of musicians. I was extra surprised to see this copy is the Music Fidelity SACD re-master by Steve Hoffman.

Billy Sheehan (David Lee Roth Band), Rory Gallagher (his last recording?), Arthur Brown, Snowy White, Dave Peverett (Foghat), Rod Price (Foghat), Southside Johnny, Larry McCray, Luther Grosvenor, Savoy Brown, Paul Jones, and Ian Anderson all contribute.

I guess this version only has half the songs of the original, but its great bunch of Peter Green songs done very good. As I have never heard the orignianal version, called "Rattlesnake Guitar", I can't compare it. This one seems to sound just fine but maybe not any better than the Redbook version?

An update, the redbook tracks on this hybrid CD have some serious problems. The last 3 tracks will not even play...

The same SACD tracks sound great!
Is this the Peter Green of "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac" circa 1968?

Anthony Wilson Trio, Our Gang SACD

Anyone have highly recommended SACDs to share?
I hate seeing this thread sit idle, so I thought I would get Pro-active. :yes:

I recently bought this one.....
cover.gif

This is an Outstanding SACD. Here is a review by David W. Robinson.......

The Anthony Wilson Trio, Our Gang
Groove Note GRV1008-3

Disc type = SACD Hybrid Stereo
Disc provenance = Live and direct to 2-channel DSD via Meitner chipset; recorded by Michael C. Ross and Darren Morra; produced by Ying Tan, Sebastian Koh and Joe Harley; mastered by Bernie Grundman

I have to say that I wasn’t familiar with Anthony Wilson (jazz guitar), Joe Bagg (Hammond B-3) and Mark Ferber (drums)…but I am now!

Ying Tan was kind enough to send this SACD along for a listen. Groove Note SACDs are always a treat for me; Ying and company are fiends for "only the best," don’t compromise on the sound, and always deliver music that amazes me for its beauty and excellence. (Look at what Groove Note has done with Jacintha… with Luqman Hamza… with Jay McShann on SACD, for example—you have bought those, haven’t you?!)

But these folks I didn’t know. I popped the disc on, and sat down for a minute… and stayed for a while. Quite a while.

What a sweet recording!

The feel is small and intimate; you’re in a small club with a jazz trio—only you’re alone with them. Anthony Wilson commands his guitar with improvisational work that at the other end of things away from stale or hackneyed. Whether bluesy ("Britta’s Blues" or "Prelude To A Kiss"), funky ("Chitlins Con Carne"), or jazzy-rock (his exceptional cover of the Beatles’ "I Want You (She’s So Heavy)"), Wilson drew me into that world of head-nodding reverie. His compadres, Bagg (love that classic Hammond sound… I never get tired of it!) and Ferber are just right, and deliver accompaniment that’s spot on to round things out to perfect.

The sound is pure DSD: transparent, effortless, deep, detailed, and utter relaxing. This is what recordings of this kind should sound like!

Highest praise to everyone involved in producing this quiet masterpiece.

Love jazz trios and great instrumentals? Then this SACD, my friend, is for you.

It merits a Ye Olde Editor’s "Highest Recommendation."

Sound = 10/10; Performance = 10/10; Music = 10/10

This is a fantastic recording and lately I have really been getting into "Trio's" as I find them (for lack of a better word) "easier" to listen to and they just draw me in.

If you're unfamiliar with Anthony, but know Diana Krall, he is the Guitarist on "Live From Paris" CD/DVD and others with her.

I highly recommend THIS SACD! :thmbsp:

Dennie

I agree on Trio's. They seem to really shine with SACD also. With a good sound system and a good recording you can easily make them sound good in a decent room. Instrument placement etc. When the music gets complicated it becomes much harder to find the fine details in the performance.

Last edited:
PLEASE provide evidence that this title is available on SACD. I think this must be a typo or mistake..

IORR is not on SACD. Only the Stones DECCA/London (Abkco) stuff is on SACD (and already out of print).

"12x5" should be added to the must-have Stones SACD list w/ BB and LiB. Some never-before released "true" stereo w/ some mono on "12x5." Just the best digital versions of some old Stones, really.

Still adding to the collection. Many excellent recommendations here. Today I picked up the Allman Bros live Fillmore East SACD. Probably been 10+ years since I've heard this album. Enjoyed every minute of it! Guitars are right there in my living room!

These guys sure were/are great musicians!

61JYY54YR8L._SS500_.jpg

+2 this one. I just got one off eBay and it's very very nice. Half the price of the designer vinyl too :thmbsp:

51NJwSEUvmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

#1, I have never listened much to Art Pepper but this is a great Jazz album! #2, Almost all the tracks are superb in SACD. The only redbook version I have heard is from the hybrid layer on this same disc so I have nothing else to compare it to, but the SACD is even more lively.

There are a few tracks where the piano and drums seem a little distant. Maybe that was the way the mixer meant it to be, but it seems too distant and possibly a mistake? Anyway, certainly not true on most of the tracks.

"The way you look tonight" is an exceptional piece of work!

I think I'm going to buy some more Art Pepper albums. I can see why he is rated up there next to the best...

I just got Bob Dylan, Blonde on Blonde couple of weeks ago. Sounds great.

DSOTM and Norah Jones have been my two favorites for a couple of years.

I also have a Beethoven (i think a combo of 2nd and 6th symphonies) and a Rachmaninoff 6 Etudes... / Modest Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition / and Night on Bald Mountain - Performed by Sa Chen - all piano. The Sa Chen performance sounds better.

51mJUqhtrDL._SS500_.jpg

Lou Donaldson - Blues Walk

Lou Donaldson (Alto Sax)
Herman Foster (Piano)
Peck Morrison (Bass)
Dave Bailey (Drums)
Ray Barretto (Conga)

Blue Note 1958

Analogue Productions 2010

SACD

Just picked this up today. Goes to show they are still making new SACDs as this is a 2010 release by Analogue.

Lots of content and detail in this new SACD version of this old classic. If you like this album, I think you will get a kick out of the SQ of this SACD. Instruments stand out great in their own spaces and percussion (especially Conga) is quite tight. Piano sounds quite lively. :thmbsp:

Blood on the Tracks

by Bob Dylan sounds great,I'm sure somebody has mentioned it. Never one of my favorites by him but after hearing this SACD it really is a masterpiece.:yes:

I posted this in the digital area- probably good to put it here too.

5.1 is my fave way to listen.

Here is what I own:

5.1 discs with sound quality grades for 5.1 mix

Aerosmith – O Yeah!:Ultimate Aerosmith Hits SACD(B)
Allman Brothers Band – Live At The Fillmore East DTS (B)
Atomic Rooster – The Best Of (DVD-A) B-
The Beatles – Love (DVD-A) A+
Boston SACD IS STEREO ONLY - lousy quality newest RM is better
Carpenters – Singles 1969-1981 (SACD) A
Deep Purple – Machine Head (DVD-A) A
Derek & The Dominoes – Layla (SACD) B (Duane’s bum notes stick out on the title track)
Doors – L.A. Woman (DVD-A) C-
Bob Dylan – Blonde On Blonde (SACD) A
Bob Dylan – Blood On The Tracks (SACD) A
Emerson, Lake & Palmer – Brain Salad Surgery (DVD-A) C- for album, A+ for bonus track Lucky Man
Emerson, Lake & Palmer – Brain Salad Surgery Deluxe Edition (SACD) A
Gloria Estefan – Greatest Hits (SACD) A-
Donald Fagen – Nightfly Trilogy A
Fleetwood Mac – Rumours (DVD-A) A
Genesis – 1970-1975 Box Set (USA – DVDs have DTS & DD option) A-
Genesis – 1976-1982 Box Set (USA – DVDs have DTS & DD option) A-
Genesis - Foxtrot (SACD) A
Genesis – A Trick Of The Tail (SACD) A
Genesis – Wind & Wuthering (SACD) A
Heart – Alive In Seattle (SACD) B-
Helmet Of Gnats (SACD version- there are TWO versions, one is stereo only) A+
Elton John – Madman Across The Water (SACD) B+
Elton John – Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Deluxe Edition SACD- beware, there are Deluxe Editions of this that do NOT have the SACD mix)B+
Journey – Escape (SACD IS STEREO Only!) sound quality for stereo is B
Carole King – Tapestry (SACD) A
King Crimson – In The Court Of The Crimson King (40th Anniversary Series DVD-A) A+
King Crimson – Red (40th Anniversary Series DVD-A) A
Magenta – Seven (Dolby Digital) A
Magenta – The Metamorphosis Collection (Dolby Digital) B+
Steve Miller Band – Fly Like An Eagle (30th Anniversary Special Edition – Dolby Digital) A-
Paul McCartney & Wings – Venus And Mars (DTS) B+
The Moody Blues – Days Of Future Passed (DTS) B (this version has a glitch on Time To Get Away) There is an SACD version available
The Moody Blues – On The Threshold Of A Dream (SACD – quad mix only, no center channel!) B+
The Moody Blues – Seventh Sojourn (DTS) B+
The Moody Blues – Seventh Sojourn (SACD – quad mix only, no center channel!) A
Nektar – Journey To The Center Of The Eye (SACD- Quad mix, no center channel!) B
Nektar – Remember The Future (SACD – Quad mix, no center channel!) B
Mike Oldfield – Tubular Bells Deluxe Edition (Dolby Digital) A+
Mike Oldfield – Tubular Bells 2003 (DVD-A) A+
Pink Floyd – Dark Side Of The Moon (SACD) A+
The Police – Synchronicity (SACD Stereo only!) sound quality is A+ for stereo
The Police – Every Breath You Take The Classics (DTS) B+
Porcupine Tree – Lightbulb Sun (DVD-A) A+
Porcupine Tree – Stupid Dream (DVD_A) A+
Porcupine Tree – In Absenti (DVD-A) A+
Porcupine Tree – deadwing (DVD-A, DTS) A+
Porcupine Tree – Fear Of A Blank Planet (DVD-A) A+
Porcupine Tree – The Incident (DVD-A) Best Rock 5.1 recording quality hands down
Rod Stewart – It Had To Be You…The Great American Songbook (DVD-A) A+
Steely Dan – Gaucho (DVD-A) A+
RPWL – World Through My Eyes Special Edition (SACD) B+
Toy Matinee (DVD-A, DTS) A+
Weather Report – Heavy Weather (STEREO SACD ONLY) stereo quality is B+
The Who – Tommy (DVD-A) B+
Edgar Winter Group – They Only Come Out At Night (STEREO SACD ONLY) stereo quality is B
Yes – Fragile (DVD-A) A+
The Zombies – Greatest Hits (Dual layer hybrid SACD) B-
Various Artists – Inside The Music: Classic Rock (DVD-A, DTS, Dolby Digital) B-
Fritz Reiner/Chicago Symphony Orchestra – Dvorak: New World Symphony (SACD STEREO ONLY) stereo quality is B+

Where's the best place to find SACDs these days?

There used to be a few on YourMusic, but the number is dwindling.

Back
Top Bottom