**Sacramento Vintage Audio Festival Thread**

I wanted to post a big Thank You to everyone who organized and made the Sacramento gathering such a success! It was alot of fun! I really enjoyed putting some faces to names and listening to some great hifi gear and music. :thmbsp: A good time was had by all! :yes:

Joyce's System

Bentpencil sent me a photo of Joyce's system, enjoy.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Joyces system.JPG
    Joyces system.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 143
Here's Dan's (Ballylongford's) system. He'll need to comment on what the gear is.

Here's Dan's (Ballylongford's) system. He'll need to comment on what the gear is.

Some good pics there. What a shame the folks who were not there can't hear what you can see in the pics. As Carl noted, lots of variety here with lots of pleasing sound.

My gear was an updated Dynaco ST35 and PAS-3X (also updated), an extra Sony CD Player I had available and, Thanks to Cary, the loan of the JBL speakers that went home to another lucky member; Cary had a pair of those same speakers that he had upgraded the caps on and I'd encourage the new owner of my loaners to get in touch with Cary for the specifics on his upgrades as his pair really sounded great!

Attachments

• SVAF_2009.jpg
    SVAF_2009.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 21
Bally, Ken says he'll give you $5 to take the tubes back. :) We're still sorting.

lol... wasn't there like a couple hundred tubes in that bag?! I saw the other Carl going through it and if there was anything good it won't be in there! :D

I want to echo the thanks to Duffinator for organizing and to those who lugged your fine gear to this event...especially Joyce (strong back indeed!). Awesome to hear and see those Cornwalls in person - not to mention all the other gear. I'm still surprised at how good those ADS L8e's sounded for such a little box! Thanks for the enlightenment onepixel. Finally, it was wonderful to put faces to your AK ids.

Well worth the trip from San Jose!

I'll post some pics later this week.

-Erik

You guys liked the ADS huh? Me too! I'm surprised it sounded as good as it did. It actually took a little thought and planning. I knew the room was going to be large with hard surfaces, crowded, a less than optimum listening environment.

The ADS are usually a wee bit bass shy the way it's set up in my small office. So I picked speaker wires that gave it a little more bass but compromised the soundstage some. So to counter that I had speakers spread out more than usual. And I picked music that had a broad soundstage to start with and had a wide range and impact.

Knowing your stuff well helps in the presentation. :D

lol... wasn't there like a couple hundred tubes in that bag?! I saw the other Carl going through it and if there was anything good it won't be in there! :D

Many,many, many tubes in that box...and of course, most are "worthless" TV tubes but I've sorted out a few that are audio/interesting. Have to test 'em yet.

The L8e's did sound very nice. Typical tight bass from ADS. :yes:

What you guys didn't like my little ADS L420's? :tears: I should have brought my a/d/s/ S700's but my L420's are much nicer looking.

The L8e's did sound very nice. Typical tight bass from ADS. :yes:

What you guys didn't like my little ADS L420's? :tears: I should have brought my a/d/s/ S700's but my L420's are much nicer looking.

Your little ADSs sounded good but the G-8000 was bullying them. Would've loved to hear the later generation S700s!

The show was my first, lots of fun hearing other systems and meeting other audio people. Rick, you did a great job! Thank you everyone for the kind complements on my Bottlehead SEX/JBL L19 combo. Can not wait for next years show, already have a good ideal what I'll demo!

Cary Chin

Next time I will bring some music that the crowd will like. I had no idea we would be playing what we brought in that fashion.

I saw a couple people jump when the song I played really kicked in.:D
Sorry about that. I do think it's a little funny though.
When I first played that song with the G-871DB and L100's at home, I jumped at that part too.

But I did finally grab Carls CD and played it for a couple of folks.

Thanks again for taking the Sansui SP-2500's.:yes:

Rob

Thanks for putting this event together! It was great hearing the different setups all in one place:music:. The cornwall-monoblock system was probably the best home system I have ever heard. It's going to be hard being content with my current setup now:scratch2:. I also enjoyed talking to some nice folks. Hope you do it again next year ( or sooner:yes:)!

Next time I will bring some music that the crowd will like. I had no idea we would be playing what we brought in that fashion.

I saw a couple people jump when the song I played really kicked in.:D
Sorry about that. I do think it's a little funny though.
When I first played that song with the G-871DB and L100's at home, I jumped at that part too.

But I did finally grab Carls CD and played it for a couple of folks.

Thanks again for taking the Sansui SP-2500's.:yes:

Rob

lol! I know I was stunned and couple people walked out too! What were you thinking! :no:

But I have to say the JBL100s sounded night and day sweeter with the Sansui 8 Deluxe, once you put some decent music on! :yes:

What was I thinking?

Oh and thanks for letting some of us into your house afterwards and listen to your Duffy DIY Special speakers. You did a excellent job and I love the way they sound. Especially the bottom end.

Trust Carl to say what should have been said by, well me, anyway.

Rick please extend my thanks to your wife and family for allowing us to come to your home and hear the Duffy DIY V. 1.0s. It was very considerate of your wife to open your home to us.
Looking forward to hearing of any future Duffy DIY speakers; as a matter of fact you have inspired me to possibly try out some homebrews of my own..

The CV speakers would have been a nice match with the amp. I kinda didn't have space for them or have the time, energy and experience to do the refoam. I'll probably be kicking myself later for not grabbing them.

Back
Top Bottom