SAE 2400 amp replacement relays

turboyam

The Kenwood fan!
I am trying to find replacements for a pair of protection relays. They are A Zettler AZ428-56-201, 2.5Kohms coils, 48Volt DC. They still conduct signal but the contacts are melted.
They have a weird pinnout layout.
What are you guys using as replacements?

Not having much luck those relays. I wonder if that's an early version of the 2400 as the service manual I found online has the normal style relay P/N hand written on one of the pages. I have an FM Acoustics FM300 that needs some oddball relays before I can put it back together, really sucks trying to find such old electro/mechanical parts like this.

Craig

Yep, not easy... The SAE's protection boards are stand alone, easy access
with connectors so i think i will mod the board for commun, availlable 48V
relays.

Got a 2400 in for repair/rebuild today. Each of the relays has one set of overheated contacts so the search for new relays is on. Turboyam check out 655-R10-E1X2-V2.5K at Mouser and compare the datasheet with the AZ relays. Looks to be the one, at $19 each they're not exactly cheap but you gots to do what you gots to do. OR did you find something else?

Ideally it would be an E2X2 with PCB pins but I think the E1X2 will work if we enlarge the holes a tad on the PCB, .030" difference in pin width.

Craig

Last edited:
I used random 48volt relays, on a custom mount, beside the actual protection board. Yeah i know, not OEM but suits me!.

I'll be the Guinea pig and order a pair to make sure they 're the correct relays. Did you peruse the data sheet?

Craig

I used Digikey's # 255-4015-5-ND. Used the mounting tabs to fix them on a
small board, right side of the amp. Works fine for me!.

The relays I posted in #8 work great. Had to 1) Enlarge the holes in the PCB a bit, 2) Cut the unused pins off of the new relay, and 3) Cut the mounting stud off of the new relay. I finally got all of the back ordered parts today and the 2400 is up and running once more, all of the alignments went smooth and now it's cooking on the bench.

Craig

Hey Turboyam how's the fan noise on that 2400 of yours? Without the cover it's not bad but as soon as the cover is on the noise becomes unbearable and irritating.

Craig

Hey Craig!. The 2400 is very tolerable, way quieter then my 2600...
I installed a deshumidifier coarse, open cell foam on both amps, under the hood (in between the cover and the fan itself). I just use a vacuum cleaner to
remove the dust. I think this is better then cleaning the sink fins.
I never drive both these amps very hard so, no overheating.

Is your fan blades out of ballance?. Transmit vibrations to the chassie?

Without the top on it's the normal fan noise but as soon as that top is on the noise changes, becomes irritating. I'm going to order a new fan, the slowest and least CFM, the amp certainly doesn't need a lot of CFM.

Did you see my post about the relays? #14.

Craig

Yes i did see that post, many thanks!. Next time i open it-up, i will look at the idea!.
Is the fan noise: wind noise or rattle noise?.
The 2400 has plenty of CFM in my opinion, it's the 2600 that could use more CFM.

Wind noise, probably from the square shaped finger guards. Are your blades on top or bottom, these are on top.

Is your 2400 actual fan an OEM? (maybe you have a higher CFM one)?.
Mine is really not anoying but then, i never listen to quiet, classical music! :p

Back
Top Bottom