Saksa 85 SS Amplifier mini review

datafone

Hay Guys

Just thought I would do this as many may not be aware of this little cracker of an amp from Hugh Dean down under.

I got one of these for a friends system, but as It's a power amp, but with the option of fitting a stepped attenuator that's what I did.

OK, so Hugh has been at this a very long time and is always refining his designs, this is his smaller amp option and are sold in kit form but easy to put together for most folks.
What is different with this SS amp?
Well Hugh designed it taking into consideration It's harmonic profile, by designing the Saksa with most of the THD profile being H2 and H4 harmonics, these are the lower even harmonics that a lot of folk find pleasant to the ear, and IMO are helpful in reproducing a natural sounding reproduction. (check over on diyaudio for better information around the tech side as I could be a little vauge on some things)
So with those predominantly in the mids and highs, but retaining the well controlled bottom end and the transparency of a very good SS amp makes it a very nice little amp to listen to.
So a very nice sounding SS amp with a sprinkle of the nice stuff that is often found in tube amps sound reproduction.

I ran it in for 30 odd ours in my system before it went into my friends system, so i had time to become familiar with It's sound. On acoustic material at times i found it not very dissimilar to my valve amp in the mids, of course it was noticeably more resolving of detail compared to my valve amp. Nice wide and deep sound-stage with great placement of instruments and vocalists.

Lots of more info on diyaudio under the AKSA section in manufacturers section, and a wonderful guy to deal with. (Aspen Amplifiers)

85 watts 2 channels
Small profile well made chassis that is smaller than an average CD player is an option as is a stepped attenuator (Dale resistors) if needed.
The fully populated PCB including the PS section can also be purchased separately attached to a heatsink for those more inclined to use there own case and transformer ect'. If you go with the case that is available it comes with the amp module installed and the case doubling as heatsink. Hugh supplied this one assembled apart from the attenuator that I drilled a hole for and installed myself.
Edit: (I have no affiliation with Hugh or Aspen Amps apart from having followed his progress from afar and recently purchased one of his amps and was impressed) I notice this is done here often so thought I also better add a disclaimer :)
Some pics

20170708_141258 s.jpg 20170704_162833.jpg

Last edited:
Oops! forgot to mention an aspect of the Saksa, It has a musical sound, and little sweetness in mids and top end.

Can't believe I forgot to mention that *doh*

Hugh also has a higher powered amp that is more refined again and can be had up to 200 watts, The Maya Amplifier.

Back
Top Bottom