Sam Adams '76 - Worst Beer Ever!

MoreBeer

Money + Money =More Money
So, after enduring the onslaught of commercials for Sam Adams '76 beer, I decided to give it a try and picked up a six pack.

Okay....I'm going to keep this short:

This is possibly the worst beer I have ever tasted! The most accurate description is taking 50% Budweiser and mixing with 50% piss. Actually, stale piss that's been hanging around a while.

Yep....that pretty much sums it up folks. Right there....done....finito....erledigt....el-flusho.

Usually Sam Adams makes a decent product, especially for a big brewer. What were they thinking with this???

Haven't tried it but that sounds bad. How about you tell us two or three of your favorite beers for reference. What is this 76 supposed to be? Just a pale ale, lager, ?

Haven't tried it but that sounds bad. How about you tell us two or three of your favorite beers for reference. What is this 76 supposed to be? Just a pale ale, lager, ?

Gouden Carolus Tripel is probably the best beer I've ever had. It's just absolutely fantastic and a must try. I always have some of this on hand.

After that, there's a ton of really good beers that are easy to find. For example, most Ommegang beer is excellent along with many of the popular Belgiam Tripel beers. With dometic brewers, Founders makes some excellent beer, especially their Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale. Flying Fish has some nice domestics as well.

With cheap slug-it-down-I'm-thirsty beers, I usually gravitate towards Yuengling Lager and Pabst. Both of those are very good if looking for a refreshing beer that's not too heavy. The Yuengling really shines as it's also lower in calories than most everything else that isn't a light beer.

Just avoid this Sam Adams '76.

So the other five gonna be saving for that guy who always comes over empty handed drinking your beers?

Barney

Given the OPs normal preferences I understand the reaction.

Doesn't really sound like my cup of tea either but I will still give it a try.

So, after enduring the onslaught of commercials for Sam Adams '76 beer, I decided to give it a try and picked up a six pack.

Okay....I'm going to keep this short:

This is possibly the worst beer I have ever tasted! The most accurate description is taking 50% Budweiser and mixing with 50% piss. Actually, stale piss that's been hanging around a while.

Yep....that pretty much sums it up folks. Right there....done....finito....erledigt....el-flusho.

Usually Sam Adams makes a decent product, especially for a big brewer. What were they thinking with this???

There goes a potential advertiser :D:beerchug:

I have not tried '76, but it gets a decent score on BeerAdvocate.com.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/317014/

-Dave

That was sorta my thought too. Granted, '76 has only a small number of scores relative to the two others but what's there rates similarly/slightly better than Yuengling and fairly better than PBR. I wouldn't turn down either of those if offered, and have requested one or the other on occasion too.

Anyone who likes Sam '76 has something wrong with them and should seek help of some sort.

Anyone who likes Sam '76 has something wrong with them and should seek help of some sort.
I like the original (?) Boston Lager and the Cherry Wheat but the others have been a hit or miss, usually a miss,
...but none as bad as you described it.
Maybe you got a bad batch? I've had that happen a few times with Yuengling.
I once even swore I'd never touch it again.

Bad batch? I doubt it as its brand new. The only bad beer I ever had was a six of Bass Ale I bought years ago while on vacation. Tasted like crap as it was likely hanging around forever. That's about it in getting bad beer (as in spoiled or whatever). And believe be.....I've bought more beer than most in my 57 years on the planet.

I like many of Sam's beers such as Boston Lager, Oktoberfest (who doesn't like that), Cold Snap, Winter Ale, Summer Ale (so-so on Summer Ale). So I was surprised to see how bad the '76 was.

I don't particularly like sours, to the point I might even turn it down if offered. Nor do I like the somewhat Band Aid/phenolic/medicinal taste of some styles. Yet, that doesn't stop lots of people from liking them nor does it suggest they have poor taste. Just different taste.

Last edited:
I don't particularly like sours, to the point I might even turn it down if offered. Nor do I like the somewhat Band Aid/phenolic/medicinal taste of some styles. Yet, that doesn't stop lots of people from liking them nor does it suggest they have poor taste. Just different taste.

Nah....it indicates they have poor taste and judgement.

I have not tried '76, but it gets a decent score on BeerAdvocate.com.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/317014/

-Dave

disclaimer: ultra beer snob

everything under a 4.0 on BA is questionable. That said I'm not sold on BA for accuracy considering the context of most reviews is how accurate the beer resembles it's style, not necessarily because its tasty.

sours are quite polarizing, and many will not like the addition of lactobacillus. It drastically lowers the ph and makes things tart- add in some different strains of wild yeast & some other ingredients and you will not be far from a musty/vinegar taste. I love it lol, the traditional belgian lambic and gueze styles are what all these US sours are based off of. The real lambic stuff is much more funky, musty, and delicious.

They also add brettanomyces in the case of farmhouse ales. This is literally a "horse blanket" flavored yeast, its raw, earthy, and can be delicious if it's blend is on point. Anyone looking to try a genuine farmhouse/saison should look into the saison dupont. Iconic farmhouse with that "barnyard funk"

you guys probably think I'm crazy but sours & farmhouses are much more complex and your tastebuds will thank you for the break from palate erroding IIPAS!!

I'm so glad no one's opinionated about their beer here. :rflmao:

In the cheap swill department, there are ones I tolerate and ones I can't. I tend to drink Keystone Ice and (ironically) I kinda like Bud or Bud Light (on a hot day in a canoe especially). Milwaukee's Best, forget it. Pabst I haven't had for a long time but remember not liking it much. :dunno:

Sour beer, yeah, what's up with that. I can't tolerate a lot of hop bitterness, but I think I probably have 5x the bitter taste buds of a normal person. All of you normal people can have all the IPA and SuperStupidUltraHopBlast IPA you want. I just can't drink it. Some of you have poor taste and judgement too. :p

Back
Top Bottom