Samsung HL-S6187W dlp tv, an myself not being to bright

I use a standard 20' HDMI cable from my pre/pro to the TV. Like most HDMI cables there is no directionality. If there is no active circuitry that boosts the signal I say "BS/snake oil" to any specific signal direction.

I'm using nothing higher than 1080P. Perhaps going to 4K or 3D makes a difference.
i've got 3 hdmi cables - all work in either direction. i've never seen hdmi's w arrows as of yet. (personally- i call bs aswell- just like with other cables im not mentioning)

Is it the Pioneer VSX-1017XV-K?

If you still want to get this working and want our help, sometimes it's best to go back to square 1. If you're planning on using HDMI cables, this receiver has only 2 HDMI inputs and 1 output on the rear. My suggestion is that you remove any cables plugged into the receiver. NOTE: Before adding or removing cables, make sure the components are powered off.

Take one HDMI cable you know is good and connect it to the HDMI out on the receiver and connect it to one HDMI inputs that you know are good on the TV. Power both up and see if you have anything visible on the TV. If there's onscreen menu from the receiver, operate the Setup button on the remote (page 7 of the manual). You should see something.

all ready done all that above maybe i'll have to go out and but 6 hdmi cables, find the ones that work, an return the others. both hdmi imputs work on the reciever/all imputs work on the tv, so it may be a bad hdmi cable i dont know :dunno: an thats why im annoyed!

it has nothing to do with not wanting help.
when a person has adhd an things their trying to do? doesn't work out yes we get pissed off. as i said in the begining im very new to ht setups an surround sound an hdmi cables and settings remotes and button functions.i've been into 2 channel for many yrs until i made this jump.

bought 4 brand new hdmi cables-
all 4 work with ps3 to tv= good cables
tv imput hdmi 2/ is set to av reciever.
tv imput hdmi 1/not used- both do work.

from reciever hdmi out to tv /hdmi2 - press menu button nothing no on screen menu. tried all imputs while hitting menu button and tried all 4 brand new cables. just wanna watch movies/ps3 in surround sound.
might just get rid of reciever/subs/surround speakers an go back to 2 channel because honestly this is bullsh%t! so seriously what in the hell am i doing wrong here??? :mad::mad::rant::rant::idea::wtf:

Last edited:
It could be possible that the receiver's HDMI out simply doesn't work. You know that the TV works fine and the cables are fine so that leaves just the receiver.
Was this a new receiver, or did you get it used? Even new it could be DOA. Also if new you can call the maker's customer service and have them walk you through the settings and prove that it works or that it is broken.

Have you tried the factory reset? Maybe it will help...

Resetting the system
Use this procedure to reset all the receiver’s settings to the factory default. Use the front panel controls to do this.

1 Switch the receiver into standby.
2 While holding down the front panel TONE button, press and hold STANDBY/ON for about three seconds. The display shows RESET?.
3 Press the front panel ENTER button. The display shows RESET OK?.
4 Press SYSTEM SETUP to confirm. OK appears in the display to indicate that the receiver has been reset to the factory default settings.

• Note that all settings will be saved, even if the receiver is unplugged.

Have you tried the factory reset? Maybe it will help...

Resetting the system
Use this procedure to reset all the receiver’s settings to the factory default. Use the front panel controls to do this.

1 Switch the receiver into standby.
2 While holding down the front panel TONE button, press and hold STANDBY/ON for about three seconds. The display shows RESET?.
3 Press the front panel ENTER button. The display shows RESET OK?.
4 Press SYSTEM SETUP to confirm. OK appears in the display to indicate that the receiver has been reset to the factory default settings.

• Note that all settings will be saved, even if the receiver is unplugged.
that might just be the very issue im dealing with! thank you!!!!!! fac reset gonna try this in a bit

bought 4 brand new hdmi cables-
all 4 work with ps3 to tv= good cables
tv imput hdmi 2/ is set to av reciever.
tv imput hdmi 1/not used- both do work.

from reciever hdmi out to tv /hdmi2 - press menu button nothing no on screen menu. tried all imputs while hitting menu button and tried all 4 brand new cables. just wanna watch movies/ps3 in surround sound.
might just get rid of reciever/subs/surround speakers an go back to 2 channel because honestly this is bullsh%t! so seriously what in the hell am i doing wrong here??? :mad::mad::rant::rant::idea::wtf:

Hi jami w.
Sorry to read about your HTR HDMI picture/surround sound difficulties.

As a suggestion, I would connect your Pioneers HDMI output to one of your TV`s HDMI inputs, and then select that HDMI input(non ARC) preferred), read the Pioneer`s manual on how to call up it`s setup menu which should then be displayed on the TV, which you`re going to need to see anyway to properly set up your system`s inputs & speaker types, etc...

I know that all this HDMI/surround setup can be complicated, and that`s were reading the owner`s manual very thoroughly is important.
Once you understand how to go about it, and get it setup correctly, you can be rewarded with great surround sound.

And forget about those front panel "Gaming inputs', they are not what you need to use for your PS3 connections, as their leftovers from earlier video game system`s A/V connections.

If you still can not get the 2007 Pioneer to display it`s setup menu through your TV, then there could be a problem with the receiver`s HDMI output, or the receiver`s earlier HDMI type series being not compatible with the TV`s, possibly later HDMI one.

It`s a learning curve for the first time, but can be very rewarding after getting through the setup/connection complications.
Try not to give up.

Good luck jami w.

Kind regards, OKB

the tv is 3 yrs newer then the reciever, i've all ready made a few calls to a couple audio stores here. (people that i know). i'd have them come out an do it (set up) but to expensive for my pockets.

an as i've stated i can't get the menu screen for the reciever on the tv. using 4 different new cables. i did read on a pioneer forum, the way to cheat around it is use the compsitite cables. set it up an then connect hdmi cable from stereo to tv. Bill i all ready have surround sound for my audio, (tape deck, cdp, blue tooth from phone, an radio.) 7.2 surround sound.

the tv is 3 yrs newer then the reciever, i've all ready made a few calls to a couple audio stores here. (people that i know). i'd have them come out an do it (set up) but to expensive for my pockets.

an as i've stated i can't get the menu screen for the reciever on the tv. using 4 different new cables. i did read on a pioneer forum, the way to cheat around it is use the compsitite cables. set it up an then connect hdmi cable from stereo to tv. Bill i all ready have surround sound for my audio, (tape deck, cdp, blue tooth from phone, an radio.) 7.2 surround sound.

Very well then, jami w. I have had a little luck in that area too.
Good luck & I wish you IMG_0167.JPG IMG_0193.JPG success.

Here`s a couple of pics from my rework of my HT from around 6 + years ago.

Take care.
Kind regards, OKB

think im just gonna save up the 2 bills an make a call. to a local av store that does in home setup/service calls. im still saying this has to do with involving a switch or function im not seeing.
of only it was as easy setting up 2 chamnel gear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom