Sansui 1000A recap list

I don't have a list. When I did mine, the only ones that I didn't have "in stock" were the .3µFD coupling capacitors, and replaced them with the common value, .33µFD. I got them from either Mouser or DigiKey. Both vendors do not have a minimum and their shipping cost is very reasonable and they ship next business day at the latest.

What I did was to turn the set over and just make the list. When I buy capacitors, I always buy extra so that I will have more on hand if I screw up one or need it later. The cost of shipping is usually not affected and I build up common values that way.

the service manual is available on the ak database, it has complete parts list..

+1 on digi or mouser, although if you want to get fancy with coupling caps probably better off shopping around for those

The problem with using the parts list on the manual is that running changes were made on the line that NEVER made it to the manuals. Best way is to open the 1000A up and compare the schematic with what is in it (follow the schematic thru the unit). Then use the value that is in the unit itself, making changes to your particular schematic/parts list. Now you have an updated parts list/schematic for your unit BEFORE you order parts.

But the BIG problem is there are 5 or more DIFFERENT manuals/parts lists out there to cover a 7 year manufacturing (1964-71)spread. 2 different tuners, 3-4 different voltage selectors, 3 different bias pot iterations, all mixed up and not spelled out as to what year (they never put what year on the manuals.). So you've got some deciphering to do so you get a manual that is more correct than wrong.

Larry

Larry is correct.

But on the inside of the cover, there should be a very small copy of your unit's schematic glued to the underside. I snapped a photo of it with my iPhone , transferred it to my PC, blew it up and printed it out. It shows the proper components in mine.

I agree that it is best to turn the amp over, remove the bottom cover and make your own list, consulting the schematic but checking your amp by visual inspection. This is pretty much true of all amps, especially sansui but especially the tube amps where you may want to not only note down capacitance and voltage but also physical shape and dimensions. For example, in some places it might be nice or convenient to use axial caps, instead of radial, and only a certain maximum length or width will fit nicely....

if you want to start small, identify the coupling caps in the output stage and replace those 4 caps with some nice polypro film caps. No need to go fancy brands, just stick with trusted/reputable brands and appropriate specs (same capacitance (unless you can analyse circuits), but a little higher voltage is ok). In case you are uncertain, the coupling caps I refer to are the "0.3" caps, four of them, near the last tubes in the circuit (i.e. close to the speaker output transformers). Sorry, if this is too elementary for you, just not sure which level we are aiming at here. Assuming the amp works properly in all functions these are the 4 most important caps to replace, as if they go bad they can turn you output tubes on full throttle and toast your output transformers (and these transformers are pretty much the only irreplaceable part on these amps).

Back
Top Bottom