Sansui 2050c bounce

BamaBilly

Motorcycles and Music
So I’ve been enjoying my new setup for a few weeks now. I listened to a record before I went to bed last night and everything sounded great. I went to put one on this morning and it sounded TERRIBLE! With the needle on its rest I noticed that the bed (not sure that’s the right word, the flat piece that the platter sits on) has a very slight bounce. I’ve checked the TT to make sure it’s level and seems to be good. Any ideas or things to check? Has to be something simple I assume. If it matters, the bed is suspended, springy.

So I’ve been enjoying my new setup for a few weeks now. I listened to a record before I went to bed last night and everything sounded great. I went to put one on this morning and it sounded TERRIBLE! With the needle on its rest I noticed that the bed (not sure that’s the right word, the flat piece that the platter sits on) has a very slight bounce. I’ve checked the TT to make sure it’s level and seems to be good. Any ideas or things to check? Has to be something simple I assume. If it matters, the bed is suspended, springy.

Check the stylus tip and make sure it is free and clear of debris, dust ball, lint. :idea:

You could take a look inside. If that sits on coil springs as I think it does the bounce can tamed by stuffing the springs with some small junks of soft foam rubber. Pieces cut from a sponge work.

It might have had foam in them when new but it dries and crumbles to dust.

You could take a look inside. If that sits on coil springs as I think it does the bounce can tamed by stuffing the springs with some small junks of soft foam rubber. Pieces cut from a sponge work.

It might have had foam in them when new but it dries and crumbles to dust.
That sounds plausible to me. Here’s what’s driving me NUTS: I get home from taking my son to school and for kicks, turn the table on just to see. No bounce whatsoever!?!? Could temperature have an effect? I like my house really cold at night so it was freezing when I tried it first thing morning.

Maybe. Oscillation is funny that way. Sometimes it can start with little input but other times not.

Small update. The problem is clearly intermittent. I got it to stop before I left earlier and listen to a record. I can home (to a warm house) and the problem was back. Only me :dunno:

Small update. The problem is clearly intermittent. I got it to stop before I left earlier and listen to a record. I can home (to a warm house) and the problem was back. Only me :dunno:

Do the foam thing. It likely will help.

If the table base is moving with only the platter turning, it would seem to indicate some type of imbalance of the platter or a problem with the platter bearing. With the table off, can you feel any play (movement, even slightly) if you try to push the platter side to side?

Another thing to check since this is a belt driven turntable - has the belt been replaced?

One other stupid question - is the table sitting on a solid, stable surface?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom