Sansui 33000 scam

I'm sure it won't be sold for the advertised $1000.
Don't know it it's a scam, but I flagged it for "taking offers".
Want to run an auction list it on ebay.

Guess who?

My old "friend" upChuck / MRG / Monster Receiver Guy.

He has been responding to me trying to get me to bite, ... not interested this time troll!

So watch for a photo of a Sansui 33000 on CL, severely underpriced and only one photo (a stolen one), it's upChuck in Indianapolis.

Recently, I've noticed a lot of these scam posting on CL.
I've seen Fisher receiver, McIntosh amp, and etc. All with super low price, and what's confusing is that the scammer actually took time to write the ads, detailing the item for sale.

Gone now.
Guess I could have flagged it for being listed in multiple areas as well as for trying to run an auction.

For those who may not know, "Chuck" is also known as MRG or Monster Receiver Guy.
AVOID AVOID AVOID and DO NOT give him any of your contact info or name.

Ah Chuck, up to his old tricks again. Unfortunately, he is now littering Facebook Marketplace with his junk. At least on there you know who it is.

At least you know the ones listed under "Charles Williams" are his. And yes, the "NEW" Sansui AU-717 on Indy CL is his so beware. I have multiple CL ads on Indy CL for vintage gear and when I renewed a few posts earlier this week, I received three emails from him about my ads criticizing the descriptions.Nothing foul or nasty (oddly enough), just pointing out that I did not know what I was talking about (like he does). What a moron.

So what's the point of doing all that? Is he fishing for email addresses or hoping someone will send him a check or something? I don't get the angle.

My opinion:

He's basically a lonely person without any real success or power in life. He called me again yesterday and left a message (does it occasionally, just dredges my phone number up when he's bored) telling me that he's at a McDonalds selling the 33000 (like it took him a week or two to find a buyer at $1,000), and since I'm not answering my phone I can't have it. Yeah, whatever, ... and who answers blocked ID calls anyway? He also faked my phone number in a text message to someone selling stereo gear in the Akron area with some profanity in the text, of course the guy called me.

Having (or pretending to have) things that he feels others want gives him something to feel successful about, and baiting people gives him power over people. He is a little guy, would probably lose a fight to a Cocker Spaniel (in wits or physical fight), lives in a humble (likely rented) house by himself, likely doesn't have any friends other than people who feel pity for him, ... no significant conquests, accomplishments, possessions, ... except for a couple of upper-mid-line Japanese audio components in debatable condition and several more from mediocre to nearly worthless. Probably living on public assistance without any assets or income of significance.

It's a sad sick little world upChuck lives in, but I feel no pity as he has caused many of us inconvenience, frustration, and stress as he continues to move through the world intentionally injecting his venom into unsuspecting people's lives. Hiding behind the computer makes it low-risk to him, he's reportedly less combative and toxic in person where the retribution could cause him harm.

His identity is no secret to us, neither are his known phone numbers, current address, but to new victims (as I was once) his ads with no price or a ridiculously irresistible price causes people to sidestep caution and give up names and phone numbers as he requests, ... after which the (well documented) harassment begins from anonymous emails and blocked caller-ID phone calls.

He has nothing in his life, the power he gets from this to make others more miserable than him is all he has.

I have involved the Indiana State Police (about two years ago), the Detective traveled to Indianapolis, but his finding is that although (apparently) there is a substantial file on Charles, he's well known by the Police down there, he is not (at this point) high on the Prosecutor's list of priorities so they are not hauling him in. Sad, but understandable.

I'm in Indy a couple of times every month, if I were a violent person I'd probably stop by his house and teach him some manners but I'm not. However, it's probably only a matter of time before he runs into that person who does.

I guess if everyone who was harassed by Chuck knew who he is and reported him it might become a big enough problem, but most of us have more important things to do than chase down his identity (and some don't know how) and report him, so he continues to stay free.

So what I feel he gets from this is a feeling of power. I'm not a Psychiatrist, Psychologist, Therapist but this is my take.

I've had run ins with Chuck. He would let me know how little I know. Well there is a pioneer sx 1250 on Indy craigslist I have contacted the guy and am supposed to call at 5. He lives in Zionsville and hopefully it's on the level.

Well no reply at 5. Wasn't crazy about this deal sx 1250 $200. case a little tweaked, needed serviced. Nice face.

I wonder if Chuck is the same guy that tried to rip me off years ago - though the seller I dealing with was going by the name Dave at that time.
Not only did this guy have time to write the ad, he and I had several extended conversations about audio gear on the phone. He was not brilliant, but he did know enough to seem like a genuine enthusiast.
I managed to get things fixed at that time (thanks to PayPal) but it really made me cautious about future deals - to the point that I have missed some great stuff.
People praying on enthusiasts seem like proper scum to me. I understand when others say "you should have known that was too good to be true", but how many of us have also been given great gear by people?

I wonder if Chuck is the same guy that tried to rip me off years ago - though the seller I dealing with was going by the name Dave at that time.
Not only did this guy have time to write the ad, he and I had several extended conversations about audio gear on the phone. He was not brilliant, but he did know enough to seem like a genuine enthusiast.
I managed to get things fixed at that time (thanks to PayPal) but it really made me cautious about future deals - to the point that I have missed some great stuff.
People praying on enthusiasts seem like proper scum to me. I understand when others say "you should have known that was too good to be true", but how many of us have also been given great gear by people?

Yes, Dave williams is one of the names that chuck goes by. He tries to mask his voice on the phone like a 12 year old too when called out. He has created Facebook accounts under the name dave, Lee, two different Charles williams and one chuck williams....yes he is pulling his BS on Facebook Facebook marketplace now.

Your guy sounds like Dave Culver (Richard), that advertises for $300, 200, 175 on nice Marantz 2270 engraved face, Pioneer SX-1080, Akai R2R, etc. He said he will ship, and available after 7pm. People have spoken to him at length about audio stuff, and then you're supposed to pay using Friends and Family, as to have no recourse. Search for Dave Culver....many threads about him.

Back
Top Bottom