Sansui 3500 receiver

JeffCov

Hello everyone. I picked up a Sansui 3500 receiver a couple of weekends ago. I have been using a Marantz 2245 and a Pioneer SX-680 (and a couple other Pioneer's.) This is my first time using a Sansui and I have to say that I think that I might have a new favorite (for now at least!) I have only seen a tiny bit of info on the 'net about this model-and found a thread here on this site: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=284657
Does anyone else have this model? Did I find myself a pretty good Sansui or is this a run-of-the-mill model? Is there a general consensus on this particular model?
Here is a pic I found on net of the owners manual. I can add pic of mine when I get home tonight

Thanks,
JeffCov

Attachments

• 3500_1_Small.jpg
    3500_1_Small.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Geez Jeeff..I guess after a year with no responses tells you something..I am curious about the 3500 as well..there is no such thing as a crap unit from this era of Sansui..so it must sound good..what's the wpc?..they and the 400 are the rarest of the U.S. units available..I have a few Sansui's, including the holy 5000x..and now I've been road testing a Marantz 2270 and honestly,soundwise..the Sansui's have more of a natural sound body and better balls..even an 800 sounds sweet..throw up some photo's and give that sucker a life.

Henri- I am still using this unit in my main system. If I recall correctly, it is rated at 30-35 watts per channel. I could be wrong, though. One thing is for sure...I really like this receiver. I switched from a Pioneer SX-680 (and SX-535) to a Kenwood receiver to a Rotel RX 400A then to a Marantz 2245 before trying the Sansui. I tried the Marantz again a couple of times, but there is something about the Sansui that is very pleasing to my ears. I guess I was trying to make myself love the Marantz like so many others do, but it was just not meant to be- oh well. I will get some pics of it later today/tonight and post them here.

Here is my current set-up:
Dual 1019-->Sansui 3500--> (A) speakers are Fuselier "Custom" Speakers-->(B) speakers are DCM CX-17. I also use a PS1 as my CD and a Pioneer CT F8282 for cassette tapes.

JeffCov

Sorry about the delay, but here are a couple pics of my Sansui 3500. I am still using the camera on my phone. That is why my pics will never be considered for any photography awards. Well, that's not the ONLY reason...

I will take a few tonight that will include the Fuselier speakers in the picture.

JeffCov

Attachments

• Sansui 3500 wires in back.jpg
    Sansui 3500 wires in back.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 165
  • Sansui 3500 front blur.jpg
    Sansui 3500 front blur.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Sansui 3500 DBTalbum grainy.jpg
    Sansui 3500 DBTalbum grainy.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 125
  • stereo setup July 29. no speakers.jpg
    stereo setup July 29. no speakers.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Sansui 3500 Rside.jpg
    Sansui 3500 Rside.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 115
Hi,

Agree with Henry,i Just bought the Sansui 800 last week and impressed with the sound and power it produce. The amplifier looks smaller but it has plenty of power on it.

I am curious about the 3500 as well..there is no such thing as a crap unit from this era of Sansui..so it must sound good..what's the wpc?..they and the 400 are the rarest of the U.S. units available..

Power output

Attachments

• Sansui 400 output.jpg
    Sansui 400 output.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 184
  • Sansui 3500 output.jpg
    Sansui 3500 output.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 245
Hi, while cleaning the attic I just ran across a picture of the Sansui 3500 I bought new, and used back in 1971. Came across this thread in a Google search while trying to refresh my memory.

I can't add any real information from my days using it as the front amplification in a mostly Sansui quadraphonic system, but wanted to say that I sold it off to buy a Marantz 2270. I never did any direct comparisions, but thought the Sansui sounded great, and the upgrade to the Marantz was mostly for its 70 wpc.

Sorry about the delay, but here are a couple pics of my Sansui 3500. I am still using the camera on my phone. That is why my pics will never be considered for any photography awards. Well, that's not the ONLY reason...

I will take a few tonight that will include the Fuselier speakers in the picture.

JeffCov

Hi
i just buy this baby and it sound fantastic with all of my speakers, i'm not fan of Sansui gear but this 3500 sound realy good and warm with lot of power

Hi
i just buy this baby and it sound fantastic with all of my speakers, i'm not fan of Sansui gear but this 3500 sound realy good and warm with lot of power

Hi! Did you get a manual of this model? It seems early sansui models are very good sounded. Also seems turner lights are a bit dark compare to 70's Marantz.

The 3500 is very close if not identical to the 2000A/2000X. Controls on the Front are identical, back side is the same. The output power on the 3500 is a watt or 2 higher than the 2000X. I'm wondering if the 3500 might have been for some markets that the 2000A/X wasn't for. To me the 3500 looks like a Silverfaced 2000A/X.

2000A. 2000X is externally indistinguishable until you see the LEGEND in the Corner.
100_2157.JPG

2000A spec's. 2000X slightly higher.
2000A specs.jpg

Hi All -- I recently took receipt of my late father's Sansui 3500 Sterephonic Tuner Amplifier, purchased in Germany at the PX when stationed there in the late 60s/early 70s, just before I was born. It is a non-switchable 220V model, so I know I will have to purchase a step-up/step-down transformer to power it up to determine if it is functional.

I have the schematic (taped to the bottom of the unit in the original envelope), and I have located the Service Manual online, but I do not have a User Manual, and there don't appear to be any markings on the unit that definitively state what the wattage on the power supply is -- any ideas? I need to know what size (wattage) transformer to buy. I know I'm supposed to multiply the power supply wattage by 1.5, and round up, so I'm thinking a 3000 watt unit will suffice, but am not 100% positive.

Sansui3500box.JPG

Hi and welcome to AK

Are you sure that this is a 220Vac input only. It would have been sold in Germany set up for 220v and marked externally with a 220v sticker, but the schematic shows that is has an internal AC input selector where the input can be selected. Also check near the AC input fuse is located on the rear panel, if it is marked with fuse values for 120 and 250 Volt inputs then it will have the internal AC input voltage selector - the selector is shown on page 26 of the service manual next to the mains transformer and is identified as PU001.

Hope this helps

Cheers
John

Hi John -- thank you. I'm very happy to have found this board!

You are correct. The box clearly states it is set up for 220V, but I looked at the rear and there is clear direction on which fuse to use depending on which voltage is used. I have no aversion to cracking the chassis and having a look, so I'll open it up and check for the internal voltage switch you indicated. I'll take a picture and share what I find.

I truly appreciate the heads-up... I owe ya a Castlemaine XXXX.

Cheers
Dan Jr (and the late Dan Sr)

Thanks again to John (skippy124) -- I opened up my 3500 and found the internal voltage selector, with a warning label and clearly marked indicators (pictures attached). I am happy to report the receiver was already setup for 110v, and it powered up just fine.

Now to perform some internal display lamp replacements and a good cleaning, and button it up for operation. I've also reached out to Dave (dgwojo) for a quote on replacement bulbs, so I'm well on my way!

Thank you, all, again, for this forum. I'm very happy to have found you! I also have a Kenwood KR-830 that I will be cleaning up, too, but that's for another thread!IMG_2116.jpg IMG_2118.jpg

It's and old post but I think this model of Sansui deserve more publicity. So I like to express my experience with this model here, having some little time at the beginning of this year.
I really love this site and value all the contributions of all these wonderful people posting here and enriching our life with fantastic knowledge and so much joy. Thank you all you guys. You are my best teachers and mentors in this journey through the audio heaven.
I was an absolute fan of Marantz gear before trying this model from Sansui. I had almost all vintage models from Marantz from baby 2015 to mighty 2330, including 1060 and 4270. Marantz is a fantastic audio equipment brand, they are so well build, easy to work on, have the midrange adjustments that I adore so much, but this Sansui model re-opened the Sansui world for me, make me to reconsider my previous disappointments in Sansui after some attempts with 800, au-3900, 771, 555A and 6060. Somehow this model seems to be what I like to hear, especially at low listening levels exceling with classical music, jazz and classic rock. The phono stage is incredible amazing especially with records from 60s and 70s. the human voices are so well reproduced so close to a live concert. All records seem to have suddenly such a rich sound, you are flooded with music, an incredible wide stereo image, you are just there in middle . Nothing to bother and to disturb, you can listen all day long. After this experience some other more highly regard models from Sansui were welcomed in my audio room: Sansui 5000X (which is similar in sound with more punch), Sansui seven (which offers a more detailed sound with similar wide stage stereo image), Sansui au-717 (great with extreme metal recordings especially on cds). This low and less known model from Sansui was a revelation for me and a really eye opener and the motivation to discover the real Sansui audio universe. Don't look away if you find one. Looks quite beautiful especially in a wood case, well build as you can see from the pictures here, very good tuner also, quite heavy and the sound is in the same league as the other more known models from that era of Sansui.

Back
Top Bottom