sansui 5000 wont play fm

ejw45

Hello I have a sansui 5000 that will not play fm I know nothing about how it works inside but do know how to set it up am plays beautifully I know which tuner is fm and which one is am and the fm cover has a little rust on the top when I looked inside one of the little plastic tubes were melted a little bit and all the soldering looked burnt I really do not want to sell it but if the fm tuner is burnt up can I really fix that?

This may be odd....I have a lafayette LR1500 which is not playing FM. Someone over on solid state is helping me work on this and it points to some IF op amps in the FM IF section. When looking online for crossover parts, the sansui 5000 used the same circuit design and took the same parts....and was mentioned side by side on other older forums

if you can, the 2nd picture, top center where there are 4 tuner cans with a fifth atop the 3rd, blow THAT section up, lets see those 4 little black round things interspersed between

ok, here is the scoop, I am working a lafayette LR1500TA over in the solid state fourm. I am having a no fm problem and the guy helping me thinks its the 'ic's in the IF stage - I, like you, have 4 stages.

The culprit part, is essentially an early IC called uA703. while searching for a replacement I found some forums where people were complaining about the sansui 5000 fm section. IIRC, there is a schematic out there and the two circuits are very much alike.

that being said, in the part of the pic you blew up, nestled between the tuning slugs those dusty black looking transistor things with 6 legs are not mutant insect spiders, they are Ics of a sort that are likely uA703 or LM703's.

Go follow the thread I have, he gave me some tests to do. Find your schematic and print off, blow up, memorize the FM RF thru MPX section. What he has told me to do, is pretty much what you might want to do as well.

If this part is bad, direct replacements using the old part numbers are harder to find and about $6 or so. UTSource has em for $4 in IC format (8 pin dip) with $2 e shipping (whatever that is) from china, with a 4-6 week delivery. no thanks.

1) When you switch to FM do you hear ANYTHING? ( make sure if there is an FM MUTING switch that is out. )
2 ) When you switch to AM do you hear anything?

3) Just a guess here... there is a fair amount of rust.... Is it also on the top case??
Could be rain when it was in storage or cat pee.

4) Repairing an FM tuner is not something EASY and if you do NOT have a signal generator & circuit tracer... your kinda done...

5) Send it to a PRO..

Not to be a downer... but this is not spray magic stuff in there and all the analog circuits will magically re align.

well well I turn it to fm it has great signal but all that comes through is straight static through one speaker and weird noises from the other but as I said am plays great there is a fair amount of dust and a little rust on other pieces.but if its something I cant fix by myself its going to get put on ebay.

will you guys dumb it down a bit for me if you say something because I seriously only know which tuner is am and fm and know nothing about the names for anything or where some things are located or know how to do tests.

What you are describing is further down the food chain from my issues. Assuming of course that no function switches are gooey or you are not in the bay area of cali (many times in the bay area FM has static on one channel and weird noises on the other.

thats a joke)

how adventurous are you?

buying the gizmos to align fm is pricey. Or get lucky at some locker auctions ;-)

make friends with your local FM guru (mow his grass, install his motor - stuff like that)

worst case you work on it and cause it to explode and now its a parts unit.

I guess ill just put on ebay and look for a better sansui or other brand I only gave 8 dollars for it and there were 3 sets of the sansui speakers technics and fisher speakers with it so ill get my money back one way or another

Couple things it could be on the old Sansui. There is a muting circuit on the 5000 FM section that actually uses a light bulb of sorts, bulb goes out, no FM. Those round black things on that center circuit board are very primitive integrated circuits, and those are early versions that are really known to fail. One very good thing on your receiver, the amplifier driver circuit boards are the very desirable replacements, worth some coin by themselves. Those are the vertical circuit boards at the rear of the unit, marked 6013. Worth more than the complete receiver. You got a bargain!!!!! Where are you located? (roughly)

If you would like to sell it send me a PM.
Or if you want it repaired I am glad to help you out for the cost of parts, you pay shipping.

I have the same issue, but both AM and FM do not work and no AM or FM lights on the front panel. The Phono 1, 2, and Aux light up. Thinking a power feed to the F1038 (AM) and F1085 or F1219 (FM). Any thoughts?
Rob H.

Back
Top Bottom