Sansui 6060 Question

OOPS! My mistake. I was looking at the old schematic instead of the newer one. Did you check to see what voltage you have at a and b coming from the mic amp? It is also marked as F-2644 That's the only other place I can see any possibility of back feeding if you disconnected 03 and G. Also, look for a solder bridge at C-13/14 and be sure the + goes to TR-03/04. Be sure to look around to see if you accidentally dropped a snipped lead somewhere when you changed caps. I'm guilty of that.. lol!

No solder bridges. My c13 and 14 are wima non polar films. Wouuld that be a problem? Also I found this. Fuse resistor r601 on the tone amp board is reading 500k ohms! I wonder if that could explain some of the loud popping when hitting the audio muting and liw filter since those controls are on that board? Hopefully my resistors and zeners will show up soon!IMG_2148.JPG

Fuse resistor r601 on the tone amp board is reading 500k ohms! I wonder if that could explain some of the loud popping when hitting the audio muting and liw filter since those controls are on that board

Could well be causing your problem here. If l remember correctly, this is the only fusible resistor on the tone amp board. When l had mine l remember replacing this one also because it had drifted very high.

ok. good news to report! New resistors in place of old fuse resistors helped! I am still having problems with the phono mic amp though. After replacing the bum fuse resistor on the tone amp board it sounds great now! But the catch is I have to disconnect the mic/phono amp board. So I'm pretty sure now my problem is in that board somwhere. I have taken all the components I changed off that board to discover I have lifted traces all over the place. I think the third disassembly did them in as they were not lifted before. I suspect my iron temperature is too high. I have a new to me Hakko and I am still getting used to how hot this thing gets! I ordered a repalcement phono amp board off ebay so I can start fresh. Hopefully avoid any trace lifts this time. I'm noticing the signal meters on the radio seem a bit off. I have a sencore SG165 I bought a few years ago that had supposedly been refurbed. I have yet to use it. the documentation from Sansui calls for something called a genescope? is that basicly just a scope with a function generator? I have all the caps for the radio board. I'm going to try replacing those to see if it helps. But I am wondering how hard is it for a newbie to align this thing? I understand the process. The hard part for me is translating these service documents. Each manufacturer seems to use its own jargon for the same concepts.Is Radio alignment a lost art now that digital and single chip receivers has taken over? lol

Oh yeah, now you're getting it. ;) Now that the phono board is disconnected, check the voltages to be sure they're right before installing the replacement. If they are good, just install it and cross your fingers. The old traces are delicate and often do lift even with a 25 watt iron. But in most cases they can be repaired. the trick is to be as quick as possible when soldering/desoldering. Now, as far as the signal, and center tune meters, I wouldn't worry about the signal strength meter to much, but you can adjust the center tune meter without any specialized equipment other than (preferrably) a plastic screwdriver. Using a metal screwdriver will affect the field in the coil and you will see it's effect if you try it. In your case you will need to tweak T02 (NOT TC02!!) Be gentle on that coil! If it seems stuck, back away and forget about it. Tune into an FM station somewhere near 100MHz if possible. By ear and "feel", center tune it as closely as you can ignoring where the center tune meter points. Then you can just tweak T02 slightly to bring it in. But me personally, I wouldn't worry about it. The radio will still function normally. The Genscope is an AM-FM generator oscilloscope that generates RF signals.

ok. good news to report! New resistors in place of old fuse resistors helped! I am still having problems with the phono mic amp though. After replacing the bum fuse resistor on the tone amp board it sounds great now! But the catch is I have to disconnect the mic/phono amp board. So I'm pretty sure now my problem is in that board somwhere. I have taken all the components I changed off that board to discover I have lifted traces all over the place. I think the third disassembly did them in as they were not lifted before. I suspect my iron temperature is too high. I have a new to me Hakko and I am still getting used to how hot this thing gets! I ordered a repalcement phono amp board off ebay so I can start fresh

That is great news. As you say, the replacement phono/mic board will give you a fresh starting point. I can't help with aligning the tuner with a scope as l have never done this using the correct factory method, l have manually "aligned" a few units with just a multimeter and headphones though. As Skywatcher mentioned you can easily adjust the tuning meter to be perfectly centre if this is a problem with yours.

Ok. so that phono board shows up tomorrow. the fm sounds good. but the stereo light won't come on. and I can never get the "tune" gauge to center. If I tweak to2 will that fix the stereo light? My cat ran off with the mic amp knob so I had to buy a replacement. this has been one of the most tedious error prone rebuilds I have done,! I have learned a lot though! (Thanks to you guys!!) So thank you again from the bottom of my heart!

Ok. so that phono board shows up tomorrow. the fm sounds good. but the stereo light won't come on. and I can never get the "tune" gauge to center. If I tweak to2 will that fix the stereo light? My cat ran off with the mic amp knob so I had to buy a replacement. this has been one of the most tedious error prone rebuilds I have done,! I have learned a lot though! (Thanks to you guys!!) So thank you again from the bottom of my heart!

LOL! That darned cat! No, that won't fix the stereo light. Perhaps the signal just isn't strong enough to trigger the light. Or as you may know, not all stations transmit a stereo signal.

I wound up taking it over and setting it up for her. Minus the knob that I will get a replacement for soon. She loved it! And it did sound great with her turntable. No stereo light. But the radio worked very well. And came in in what sounded like stereo. After all that I was content to let that sleeping dog lie. Taking the phono board and just replacing the caps worked good. Until the those 2sc1313's started crackling. replaced those with KSC1845 and boom. Super quiet again. She is super happy and I'm going to let that Stereo light lie. lol What an adventure. Thanks guys so much for all your help! Now I can get back to my marantz 2245 I screwed up the tone amplifier on. lol And finding me a good oscilliscope to buy with my bonus I just got at work.

That is great news, glad to hear she really likes it. Nice you got the phono board sorted out. Glad to be of some assistance ;).

Back
Top Bottom