Sansui 800 re-do.

Robisme

Sansui Enthusiast
Working on this for someone. The coupling caps had been replaced previously, but I changed them out too.
At least they left the clamps.

All new e-caps throughout and all new transistors on the driver boards.

Breaking it in now.

Here are a few before and afters.

Rob

Nice work Rob! :)
I have one too, its my favorite receiver. I recapped all but the two vertical power boards, I still havent figured out how to get at them, did you replace the caps on those while they were still mounted vertical like in your last picture?
I see you also replaced some flying saucer transistors, I dont think they are in mine but its been a while since i was in there but im sure i would have noticed

Mine also has a problem with the volume pot, one channel is louder than the other and you can still hear the louder channel when volume is at zero. Several other Ak'ers have reported the same problem with the 800, one replaced the pot and the problem was gone.

Gerard

I would be surprised if yours does not have the "flying saucer" transistors. I removed the shield piece and the screws from the driver boards and there was plenty of room to get in there.

I replaced four transistors on each driver board. Two FS and two metal can.

This one has a volume control that starts the left channel first but the right channel catches up pretty quick and they even out.

Nice bass from this guy with the loudness off. A bit boomy with it on.

Rob

I'm the proud owner of this Sansui 800 and I applaud and truly appreciate the work that Rob has done on it. Having read so many posts praising his work on Sansuis and considering he is local to me, you know I had to ask him to work on this one. :) Yesterday I spent an hour polishing the wooden case that it will be going in. I can't wait to get it and put it into the system! Thank you again Rob!

I have one of these that has a broken power switch. Does this model share the power switch with other Sansui models?

index.php

Had the chance to listen to the 800 at Rob's home on Saturday. Man, oh man! It just sounded amazing! I know this isn't a upper end G-series receiver, but I just loved the sound of it! It sounds so smooth! Didn't want him to stop the music.

Unfortunately, I'm in the process of moving, so I haven't had the chance to use it since then, but this weekend my family and I will make the move, and the first thing that will get set up will be the audio rig (much to my wife's dismay! ;)). Will report back soon.

Thank you again Rob! Truly appreciate all the time and effort you put into my receiver! An amazing AKer that will definitely see my repeated business! :bowdown:

You are welcome.

I was pleasantly surprised with the warm yet detailed sound of this little receiver.

Rob

Well, I just wanted to follow up on this thread. This weekend I was finally able to set up a minimal system (JVC TT, Pioneer RG-1, Wharfedale W60Bs and Sansui 800. Fabulous! Rob is right, with loud engaged, the bass does sound bloated. I'm really enjoying this receiver and highly recommend it. Thanks again Rob!

The coupling caps had been replaced previously, but I changed them out too.
At least they left the clamps.

Rob

What caps did you use as replacements? I'm looking to do the same job on the same unit right now but having trouble finding the right size capacitors to fit in the clamps.

Looks great in there by the way, nice work!

This is one of the most underrated Sansui receivers. I did own roughly 8 of those during the last decades. Still having two of them. One is fine, the other doesn't play. Every new owner has been excited about the excellent reproduction of music and about the exciting sound of FM - despite of data compression etc. I've never recapped one of them.
What I really love and which is unique for some Sansui models: the spare lamp deposit. Just great.

This is the amplifier that i found that have the most tremendous bass response below 10-15Hz at low listening levels, if you touch the speakers cabinets, or the wall or doors of a small room, you can feel the vibrations.

I broke the one my father gave me when i was younger playing with an Ameter trying figuring how to measure this thing that is the bias...

Have made a mistake, stupid move of shorting point 8C if i remember correctly of one of the board to the ground, maybe the Ameter fuse or other have blown preventing more damage i don't remember.

What i did after is removing the output transistors, (they were not all originals, and lost them since i have fired up without them and try to measure voltages, another minor incident happens, the probe toutched two points at the same time, just on the upper of point 8C and a voltage at one point have change a little bit.

I notices that one of the two 3W ceramic 180 ohm resistor under the amplifier near the back is shorted and the fuse bulb stay on because of this resistors i think.

I think this amplifier deserves a little overhaul, i think i have some resistors so i will replace the faultly, thinking of buying transistors and a variac, build a dim bulb tester...

Or maybe let the work to a repair shop or someone close to Montréal / Lanaudière area in QC Canada.

I have not found anywhere, but not searched for some time, the proper and well explained way to adjust symmetrical output (since this is a capacitor coupled output design) and bias.

If i do myself, i will scratch my head more than the first time i played with it...

Last edited:
Thanks Rob! I'll be ordering these soon. Might check back in with you if they don't have the desired result
just a note on the caps...... one little "trick" we used to do was to use the shell of the old cap to keep the "original" look for the unit. As a rule caps are smaller by far now days as I'm sure you've found out! The same can be done with multi segment can caps as well!

I have two of these awesome receivers, one working, one not. Might you still have a capacitor and transistor list Rob? I'm in Ohio, so you're a little far for mine

Jon

My list is just chicken scratch of what was in the receiver. I can take a pic and PM it to you if you like.

Rob

My list is just chicken scratch of what was in the receiver. I can take a pic and PM it to you if you like.

Rob
If you wouldn't mind, that'd be awesome Rob. The transistors that you used would probably be most important to me, but whatever you have would be most appreciated

Jon

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom