Sansui AU-4400 recap

RR--

So I finally got around to recapping my Sansui AU-4400 with the parts I bought when recapping my 8080 a few months back.
I also replaced the four 2SA726W transistors with KSA992FBU transistors in the same orientation, the bias trim pots with Bourns 1Kohms 10% 0.5Watts Square 3386P-1-102LF Trimmer Resistors and repainted the black metal case a while back with extra care to mask out the original import stickers.

This is from 1975 and has 20wpc, it's the upgraded version of the Sansui AU-2200 and as far as I know it's the only Silverfaced Stereo Integrated Sansui made in the 70's. (Someone will prove me wrong I'm sure)

Below is a cap list in case anyone need it, I haven't found one online before doing this. All values were kept the same except for the 1uf 50v capacitors which were replaced with 1uf 63v WIMA film capacitors, the two 1500uf 50v coupling capacitors were replaced with 2200uf 50v capacitors and the 2200uf 63v main output capacitor was replaced with a 4700uf 63v capacitor, as the lead spacing was different I used a bit of automotive silicone to hold it in place. (aka Sansui glue 2.0)

Nichicon Gold Tunes and Wima film capacitors were used in most instances but various left over caps from previous project were also used.

AXHiQKp.jpg

LzwWV0k.jpg

This is a model sold in Australia with a AUS style power plug although with US style inputs on the back, as well as the worst speaker binding posts in existence.
Gut2Dtb.jpg

tPZmmZF.jpg
XD7oB2w.jpg

Interestingly there are no cutouts for more advanced models that use the same style of faceplate.
BGq6XF3.jpg
IfQa5NB.jpg
toIzc3i.jpg

Liberal amounts of good 'ol Sansui glue was used here, surprisingly this is the only capacitor to have any in the amp.
3tBmRBZ.jpg

The buttons covers needed to be removed in order to thread through the front chassis plate, unfortunately a few broke in the process.

After photos
NbphalR.jpg
BDAUmYY.jpg
iXFDbJA.jpg

Conclusion: To be honest the differences in sound quality are very minimal, the amp had some occasional scratching/static but that was likely due to either the transistors or just dirty pots which were cleaned. The bass seems to be a bit more extended but the brightness of the amp unfortunately didn't change, I use it at -2 on the treble to negate this which sounds more or less flat.
It sounds very very similar in sound signature and warmth to my 8080 but with less detail in the sound stage, less extended deep bass and less control when playing loud. It's also a little bit fatiguing where I can listen to my 8080 all day long without any issues.

That being said this isn't a bad amp at all, it has a very full and balanced sound and with my Monitor Audio RX1 speakers it matches very well imo,
It's a daily driver in my second system and plays plenty loud enough especially for 20wpc, so well that I'm tempted to buy some old Monitor Audio's to pair with it full time.

Thanks to everyone in the previous threads for parts recommendations and all around general advice!

AU4400 Cap List
Driver board
2200uf 63v
1500uf 50v
1500uf 50v
10uf 50v
10uf 50v
.47uf 50v
.47uf 50v
47uf 50v
47uf 50v
100uf 50v
100uf 50v
33uf 50v
33uf 50v
100uf 80v
47uf 80v

Control board
3.3uf 50v
3.3uf 50v
1uf 50v
1uf 50v
1uf 50v
1uf 50v
33uf 10v
33uf 10v
1.5uf 50v
1.5uf 50v
10uf 25v
220uf 50v
100uf 50v
100uf 50v
100uf 50v
10uf 25v
10uf 25v
10uf 25v
10uf 25v
100uf 6.3v
100uf 6.3v

Very nice. Is the voltage selectable for other than 240V? It has the plastic box that would ordinarily conceal the selector plug. Single voltage units typically had the metal ID plate attached right to the panel wthout the plastic box.

Odd too that it has US convenience outlets, these were usually omitted in 240V versions, I wonder if it was a later dealer conversion? I also note some Japanese printing present on the rear panel which is highly unusual for one sold outside the JDM.

The AU-4400 is the only stereo integrated Sansui made in the 70's to have a silver front panel. However, the QA-5000 quad integrated amp has a silver front panel, and is of a nearly identical design having four channels rather than two.

I am fairly certain both models were built with shared chassis components (maybe not entirely) and may have used the same aluminum blank for the front panel, with different machining done to accomodate differing controls and engravings for the legends. Both even have the red pilot lamp placed over the volume control, somewhat unusual for Sansui as they were usually placed above the power switch on the left hand side of the panel.

I do like the look of this one in silver with white filled engraving. Very unique for Sansui, and a shame they didn't do more like this. The knob and button design is also nice. The knobs are similar to those on the 5050-9090 receivers, but with a more detailed knurling pattern on the edges. The round push buttons are oversized versus those normally used by Sansui, which is a nice touch.

Sounds like a keeper, and honestly I am coming around to having greater interest in these smaller and somewhat overlooked models now after years of collecting the big 'uns.

Last edited:
Sounds like a keeper, and honestly I am coming around to having greater interest in these smaller and somewhat overlooked models now after years of collecting the big 'uns.
I know what you mean.

Im still using my upgraded 555a - thanks to Leestereo's mods it has displaced my modded 999. The bass is just way better, and now its tighter too.

Very nice. Is the voltage selectable for other than 240V? It has the plastic box that would ordinarily conceal the selector plug. Single voltage units typically had the metal ID plate attached right to the panel wthout the plastic box.

Odd too that it has US convenience outlets, these were usually omitted in 240V versions, I wonder if it was a later dealer conversion? I also note some Japanese printing present on the rear panel which is highly unusual for one sold outside the JDM.

The AU-4400 is the only stereo integrated Sansui made in the 70's to have a silver front panel. However, the QA-5000 quad integrated amp has a silver front panel, and is of a nearly identical design having four channels rather than two.

I am fairly certain both models were built with shared chassis components (maybe not entirely) and may have used the same aluminum blank for the front panel, with different machining done to accomodate differing controls and engravings for the legends. Both even have the red pilot lamp placed over the volume control, somewhat unusual for Sansui as they were usually placed above the power switch on the left hand side of the panel.

I do like the look of this one in silver with white filled engraving. Very unique for Sansui, and a shame they didn't do more like this. The knob and button design is also nice. The knobs are similar to those on the 5050-9090 receivers, but with a more detailed knurling pattern on the edges. The round push buttons are oversized versus those normally used by Sansui, which is a nice touch.

It sure is a keeper!
I haven't ever thought that this was a dealer conversion but it could be, I could tell that my 8080 was a conversion because the sloppily fitted generic three pin power plug onto the two strand cord, the same terrible cord as the one on my AU-999 and AU-719 which were both imported from the US (The AU-999 originally came home from Hong Kong with a Vietnam war vet I think). The US sockets on the back are handy as I accidentally received a US powercable with my DAC.
It's not uncommon for things to be imported from Japan here due to our proximity, importing JDM cars is popular due to already being right hand drive use the metric system, using 240V power vs their 110V would be a limitation though.

On My AU-4400 the power cable looks to be stock or very well done, interestingly enough it is also earthed with the grounding attached just behind the transformer.

Construction wise it is very similar to my 8080, they were produced within a year of each other, the buttons aren't as light or smooth and tend to clunk like AorB selector buttons do, the switches and clunkier and stepping of ball/treble pots aren't as precise. The volume dial is very very nice though, heavy, large and precise although even at position 2 it is loud which can make it a bit fiddly to get right on line level inputs.
It has the usual voltage selector plug on the rear just like my other Sansui's, on the other side there is another import sticker.

nHF8OJR.jpg

This series does seem to be one of the more common series that I have seen, I've personally seen a few in black such as the Sansui AU-2900, I even saw a TU-4400 once but I passed as it was overpriced.
Here's a comparison between the bass and treble knobs on my AU-4400 and 8080.

7QMGkbk.jpg
oP3urrT.jpg
44ggjCI.jpg

RR--

Thanks for the extra info and pics. I suspect this was converted (possibly from JDM 100V) as the Japanese market gear was 100V mains only, not selectable as with general export versions. So, it is possible an authorized service center may have installed the voltage selector, transformer with multiple primaries, proper AUS cordset and a new ID plate to reflect the change.

What is also curious, is that multi voltage units (factory equipped) always showed 100/110/220/240 VAC 50/60Hz on the ID plate, where yours states 240VAC only, despite having the ability to select all four voltages via the plug under the plastic cover.

If you look at the ID plate, it has a part number in the upper right with the suffix "AS". This is for AuStrailia, as Sansui assigned 2 letter codes to identify the market a unit was intended for. UL (USA version underwriters lab listed), CS (CSA listed for Canadian market), UK, EU, AS are self explanatory.

XX was general export, had 4 input voltages selectable and typically had a US type cord set factory installed, which would then get an adapter to localize it to a particular outlet type. There were others as well, for example SA for South Africa market is a less commonly seen market code.

RR--

Thanks for the extra info and pics. I suspect this was converted (possibly from JDM 100V) as the Japanese market gear was 100V mains only, not selectable as with general export versions. So, it is possible an authorized service center may have installed the voltage selector, transformer with multiple primaries, proper AUS cordset and a new ID plate to reflect the change.

What is also curious, is that multi voltage units (factory equipped) always showed 100/110/220/240 VAC 50/60Hz on the ID plate, where yours states 240VAC only, despite having the ability to select all four voltages via the plug under the plastic cover.

If you look at the ID plate, it has a part number in the upper right with the suffix "AS". This is for AuStrailia, as Sansui assigned 2 letter codes to identify the market a unit was intended for. UL (USA version underwriters lab listed), CS (CSA listed for Canadian market), UK, EU, AS are self explanatory.

XX was general export, had 4 input voltages selectable and typically had a US type cord set factory installed, which would then get an adapter to localize it to a particular outlet type. There were others as well, for example SA for South Africa market is a less commonly seen market code.
No worries, thanks for that too, the AS code is interesting, my 8080 list has some numbers instead. Here'a a pic of the Au-4400's selector switch, it appears to me to be all original as it's painted on the inside of the cutout. Also I just noticed 240V is printed above the fuse on the rear.

dbN5OGx.jpg

Interesting. The cutout may have been there regardless, as the metal ID plate would've been fastened flush over it with a black self tapping screw on either end. I have a 9090DB US market market like this, is 110V in only and has the cutout for the selector in the rear panel stamping. No selector is present, and the opening is covered over with just the metal ID plate. If the selector was installed, then they just add the plastic box with the ID plate on top of that. A rather ingenious adaptable design, really.

Does your 4400 have a round foil sticker printed with 240V somewhere on the case? Usually Sansui would factory apply a sticker that indicated the set voltage (for multi voltage capable units). If it were changed later by a dealer or service center, often a new sticker with the changed voltage was applied over the original one. I have a few pieces of gear where this is evident as the stickers are layered.

Interesting. The cutout may have been there regardless, as the metal ID plate would've been fastened flush over it with a black self tapping screw on either end. I have a 9090DB US market market like this, is 110V in only and has the cutout for the selector in the rear panel stamping. No selector is present, and the opening is covered over with just the metal ID plate. If the selector was installed, then they just add the plastic box with the ID plate on top of that. A rather ingenious adaptable design, really.

Does your 4400 have a round foil sticker printed with 240V somewhere on the case? Usually Sansui would factory apply a sticker that indicated the set voltage (for multi voltage capable units). If it were changed later by a dealer or service center, often a new sticker with the changed voltage was applied over the original one. I have a few pieces of gear where this is evident as the stickers are layered.
Interesting.
I just checked and there's no 240V sticker anywhere, I have seen them before on an AU-101 though, I had a good look and the stickers don't appear to be layered either.

Aloha
This ist my cute Silverface Sansui AU-22 Japan 100V less Power but nearly with full touch of famous Sansui Sound
(in my eyes the best Knobs handling and looking wise of all Sansui.series)
Cheers
Wally
15498422992206467026553204626788.jpg

Last edited:
^^^ Wait a minute. Now THAT is an interesting amp. I have never before seen a model AU-22, nor had any indication such a model existed. I have a suspicion it is a silver face version of the AU-2200, which would ordinarily be black anodized aluminum. Have you owned this AU-22 since new, or was it acquired second hand?

I'm very curious as I've never before seen an amp by Sansui with this model numbering convention, and it must've been specially prepared for export to limited markets, probably portions of Europe only. This is a true rarity, at least from the standpoint of what is known to exist here in the states.

Last edited:
It seems the AU-22 is same to AU-2200 and close to AU-2900 or AU-3900 (both black face).
The front looks pretty much equals.
92D3464A-4FCA-448A-9CC3-AAAA388A8EC8.jpeg

Attachments

• 89293C86-0154-40A1-A194-5BEF2F48C755.jpeg
    89293C86-0154-40A1-A194-5BEF2F48C755.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 7EC74AAF-C4FA-40A1-AC37-1DAB18A71830.jpeg
    7EC74AAF-C4FA-40A1-AC37-1DAB18A71830.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 24
Aloha
bought the cute AU-22 used and it's recently not an export Model cause just works in 100v mode luckly I got a second one and they looking very cool in anoziced silvergrey Frontplate with this fine machined full Aluminium Knobs
The Jbls deliver exelent sound with this baby Sansui
Cheers
Wally

Aloha
Second Sansui AU-22 arrived yesterday very nice and clean in an outside- just plug and play
wonderful cute little Amp my Brother wants one we had a listing Session last evening
Well first I'll test both AU-22 in beamping
Setup guess will be good fun too
Cheers:beerchug:

IMG_20190328_221012.jpg IMG_20190329_173341.jpg :music::music::music:

hi everybody. This is my AU-2200 (silver!). I was thinking of giving it a recap, like I did with my 101, 505 and 555a.
Unfortunately not too much information to be found online, and being not too experienced, I am wondering if I should start with it.....doubts doubts doubts......

IMG_2365.jpg IMG_2366.jpg
IMG_2367.jpg IMG_2368.jpg IMG_2369.jpg IMG_2370.jpg

Hmmm, interesting.

I just finished recapping an AU-3900 - Im really impressed by how "holographic" it sounds - certainly more than the rather weighty sound of my cap-coupled output AU-555a or the almost clinical sound of my AU-999.

Anyway, I mention that, as your 4400 looks almost identical inside to my 3900, except is the 4400 cap-coupled output? Thats pretty much the major visual difference I can see (as well as one additional filter switch on the front panel, and a black finish instead of silver).

Aloha
Second Sansui AU-22 arrived yesterday very nice and clean in an outside- just plug and play
wonderful cute little Amp my Brother wants one we had a listing Session last evening
Well first I'll test both AU-22 in beamping
Setup guess will be good fun too
Cheers:beerchug:

View attachment 1463362 View attachment 1463361 :music::music::music:
That's interesting, I've never seen an AU-22 before, looks to be the same as an AU-2200, here's a nice advert/spec sheet I found a while ago.
As far as recaps go I found this amp to be far the easiest to do so I'd give it a go if you have the time to spare.

lTehha7.jpg

Hmmm, interesting.

I just finished recapping an AU-3900 - Im really impressed by how "holographic" it sounds - certainly more than the rather weighty sound of my cap-coupled output AU-555a or the almost clinical sound of my AU-999.

Anyway, I mention that, as your 4400 looks almost identical inside to my 3900, except is the 4400 cap-coupled output? Thats pretty much the major visual difference I can see (as well as one additional filter switch on the front panel, and a black finish instead of silver).

Is the AU-3900 not cap coupled? I honestly don't know enough about amplifier design but I thought they'd all be the same in this regard.

Whoa, I've never seen the AA series speskers before. I'm guessing these are Australian market brochures? That would explain their complete lack of exposure here in the states. And I thought the AU-2200 was a black front panel. So either I was mistaken or both versions (black and silver) were offered.

They're just brochures that I found on google so I can't speak for the speakers personally, these silver faced amplifiers do seem to be quite uncommon though.
I haven't ever seen a black AU-2200 specifically but I've seen quite a few similar designs in black locally.

Hi all, I have one of these on the bench, have replaced or tested nearly everything! but left channel distorted. The main 2sc1444 measure ok. Also can't seem to get the bourns trimpots to adjust the .ma properly (too many turns?!) Could a faulty BA311 ic cause distortion? any way of testing this? (not sure what it is?) Any pointers welcome.

Back
Top Bottom