Sansui AU-919

rickb119

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi all,

I'll try to be brief.

Many moons ago I recapped the 919. Crisp, clean, clear sound but it bothered my tinnitus so it went in the closet. I have a recapped Pioneer SX-850, that I've been using, that is a little more laid back in it's sound. I also have a set of Sierra 1's that went into the closet (They too bothered by tinnitus).

Just recently read about the Sierra 2 upgrade kit (I know, I haven't kept up with things. Life happened.) and ordered them. Decided to take the Sansui in for a check up (to perhaps use with the 2's) and he replace the speakers relays. Got it back and now it's dull, lifeless and very flat sounding.

Could just the new relays cause this or is there something else I should look at. It's been quite a while since I had it hooked up but do remember it being extremely detailed. It's not now and I don't know why.

Last edited:
Why did he replace the relays? Was the sound cutting out at the speakers?

I think you need to find out if he did anything else to it. The only thing I could think that could cause that are old caps that need replacing or dirty controls.

Did he readjust the bias at all? That could also affect the sound if the bias is incorrectly set (ie: too low)

He cleaned the controls and said the relays needed to be replaced, due to age. I figured it couldn't hurt. (maybe I was wrong.) I just wanted a pro to check it out since I don't have the tools to measure distortion, etc. I can solder good, and make adjustments but that's about it. I do have a good Fluke multimeter.

I remember (several years ago) adjusting the bias to specs. Still have the info around here somewhere so I'll do it again when I get the time. He didn't say anything about adjusting the bias, nor did he list it on the work order.

I wouldn't imagine that there should be any reason that the relays would make a difference. Even badly beat up speaker relays tend to pass signal just fine once they finally make contact.
Did you do any listening to it before you brought it in?

I did not.

The last time I listened to it was several years ago, right after I recapped it. That's been probably 6-7 years ago. I recapped the Pioneer about the same time and it still sound fine. Great actually!

Welcome!!!! For me....if they have Relay's they get replaced. Have a AU-517 that is Slamming. Very Detailed and Slamming Bass.

SansuiAU517a.png

Hello,
It sounds different just after the repair but It is hard to believe that the relays will do this. Is it possible that something else was replaced in the unit and that the technician did not report it to you? Please take a look inside and see if you spot anything strange.

Jose

Did he readjust the bias at all? That could also affect the sound if the bias is incorrectly set (ie: too low)

Slimecity right on the money again - I think this is the most likely cause.

But it could be you have just got used to a different sound, or your sources have changed?

People say that au-919 performs like wire with gain. Lack of bass and very lifeless. It doesn't add any signature sound to the recording. It leaves it as recording artist wanted it to sound...natural

Took a look inside and nothing else appears to have been replaced. I did locate the manual and will re set everything when time allows (may be a while) and report back.

I've tried several different quality CD's, and the only thing in the system that has changed is the addition of a DAC (modi multi).

As I mentioned, I hadn't listened to this for several years but do remember it being extremely detailed. Here's hoping that it's just a simple adjustment or two. Now to find the time.

When you recapped it did you replace the black flag capacitors? That's extremely important in this model.

Biasing is different in the AU-919 than other models, going through several stages instead of just the output. So I agree this could be the issue.

And of course welcome!

When you recapped it did you replace the black flag capacitors? That's extremely important in this model.

Biasing is different in the AU-919 than other models, going through several stages instead of just the output. So I agree this could be the issue.

And of course welcome!
I've read some about the black flags but don't know which they are, or where. I did replace all of the electrolytic caps (except for the large filter caps) using Panasonic in the power supply and mostly Silmic II everywhere else. (I did a little research before starting the project.)

I do have the manual but any info, hints, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

My confusion comes from the fact that I KNOW what it sounded like before taking it in to the shop. Granted, it's been several years since I listened to it but, then, side by side with the Pioneer, it had much more detail. Now, it's just flat and dull. I'm wondering if the tech perhaps "tweaked" a few pots hear and there hoping that I wouldn't like the sound (ya think?) and that I might then sell it to him. I did mention that I might sell it depending on how it sounded with the new speakers.

One other thing....Check the boards for any "Red Glue" that holds down some Caps. I call it "The Blob".
This stuff corrodes the metal.

My confusion comes from the fact that I KNOW what it sounded like before taking it in to the shop. Granted, it's been several years since I listened to it but, then, side by side with the Pioneer, it had much more detail. Now, it's just flat and dull.
Yep - you are the best one to know this - provided that nothing else has changed - ie source or speakers.

If not, then I reckon talk to your tech to ensure he didnt do anything else - check your bias first to see if those levels are still on point.

The black flag caps are very distinctive and were only used in a few sansuis - you will find posts on here discussing which boards you will find them on - they need to be replaced with specific type ceramics or silver mica - it can get expensive however it will add stability and ensure your outputs are kept safe.

Back
Top Bottom