Sansui AU-X901

Evil_Roy

Hi there! Just wanted to share some thoughts and perhaps ask a question.

A few weeks ago I've decided to set up a second stereo system for my home study. I purchased a Sansui 6060 from a technician I know for 175$ (not cheap, but the guy sells them all fixed up and with a 6 months guarantee), and matched them with an existing Rogers LS4a I have. The result was simply unreal for the price! I then took the 6060 to the living room and connected it to my modern PMC FB1i (floorstanding transmission line speakers). After a short while, it hit me that the result was actually better than my 1500$ anthem 225 amplifier... I then quickly sold my anthem, and decided to look for another Sansui. Although the 6060 was good, I couldn't put something like that in the living room, I needed something more "serious" and "audiophile".
I began looking into Sansui's top amps, trying to hunt down maybe an AU-717, AU919, AU-X1, AU-11000 and so, but there were no findings (at least not for a price I was willing to pay).
And then a co-worker told me he has at home, stowed away for over a decade, an AU-X901... my mind was set on the 1970 era, so I wasn't so exited about it, but I told him to bring it on so I'll have a look. The guy brought in a big dust ball with an amplifier hidden within, but I've recognized the potential. I gave him about 350$ and sent him on his way. At home I opened it, cleaned it up with air pressure, applied contact spray, and now it looks near mint.
What can I say- this is by far THE best amplifier I've had, and I've had quite a few. It's the version with the toroid transformer (identical to the one in the picture). I don't know what I'd have to pay to get that kind of build quality and sound from a modern amp, but I suppose quite a bit.

And now for the question part. The older Sansui amps, from the 70's (717, 919 etc.) seem to be built way more complex than mine, which seems closer to the way hi-fi amps are built today. needless to say, they also seem to be very well built. I wonder, should I try to get myself one of those? How different are they compare with my X901, for better or worse?

Attachments

• sansui_901_ 003.jpg
    sansui_901_ 003.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Hi

I think you should keep the AU-X901,this is also a good amplifier.It has very good review in the net and i am sure this sounds better then the AU 717.

Last edited:
Keep the Au-x901. I don't think you'll find a '70s integrated that sounds any better. Different maybe, but not better. It's a fantastic amp, sound wise.

I have an AU-X901 'Vintage'. I looked for one for over 10 months before finding my X901 from an audiophile. We did devolupe a back and forth conversation on the internet and he had the X901 (130W) and a X701 (100W). I have no idea why he sold the X901. But I'm not complaining. Just got lucky. He did tell me that both amps sound the same except for the increased power of the X901. He also had other audiophile 'Hi-Fi' amps, sent me photos of his rig, and he told me that it sounds just as good as his other much more expensive 'other' audiophile amps. He said the X901 could 'hold it's own' against them.

The X901 is an 'outstanding' Sansui amp!! You got so lucky. They are not easy to find and they cost about $550-$700+ in USA, when you do finally find one. I have seen one sell for $800. They usually cost much more in Europe, like $1200-$1300+, and even more sometimes. How much does an AU-717 cost? $300-$325??? There is your answer.

The X901 is a 'very top quality', TOTL, built amplifier. It's really an AU-a707i 'alpha' amp for the international market. It was made for Sansui's comeback into the world of Hi-Fi in 1987-1989, hence the new logo. Top Quality.

The sound quality is amazing, an audiophile type sound, I.E., not much flavor. What's on the LP or CD...that's what you get. It's a lower end Hi-Fi, not an upper end Mid-Fi, in my view point. It's a real amp and extremely dependable and reliable. It's an outstanding amp, straight up, if you didn't know already.

I've had an AU-717 and this AU-X901 simply shines. Nothing against the 717, which I really liked too with it's so deep sound and punch, it sounded really fine no doubt, like a 'live' rock concert. The X901 is an 'audiophile' type amp, very musical, and much more refined. That's the difference in sound quality. The AU-717/919 is a bit more "punchy" in sound, and I really do love that punch, the Sansui sound of the era. The X901 has 'punch' too, just not as much as a 717/919...but it is much more musical, and has 'Source Direct' mode bypassing all un-needed circuits...which is simply outstanding. Basically the X901 'Vintage' is a much more 'refined' Sansui 07 (717/919) amp.

I've always considered the AU-717 a great rock and roll amp. The AU-X901 'Vintage' is an 'all types of music' amp. Everything sounds wonderful.

The X701/X901 amps were 'sleepers - way under the radar' up until 2-3 years ago in USA. No one even knew about them really, even the Sansui collectors. And you GOT ONE! Everyone thought they were BPC (black plastic crap). Now the word is out and the Sansui guys are snatching them up and everyone who gets the X701 or X901 just loves them! (read all the comments)

So to answer your question: Keep the AU-X901 or look for an AU-717/919? You got 'beyond super lucky' already! There is no decision. Keep the X901. How much finer does 'super fine' have to sound? :)

And it's 1989, not 1979!! It's 10 years newer! You know, maintenance, 10 year newer caps, build, etc. I.E. reliablity, no problems.

Look at it this way...other guys are searching for the X901...and you just walked right into it.

Straight up: You got really lucky, right off the top, to find such a 'great amp' so easily. :)

If you decide to sell it...you will have no problem finding a buyer. And you may really regret selling it. You know, like: 'Oh man, and I HAD one of those!! :)

You got lucky and got a GREAT AMP!! Dig it!! Enjoy.

Hope this helps.

Do a 'search' on AU-X901 here on Sansui AK.)
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=407637
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=456556&highlight=AU-X901
http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=438907&highlight=AU-X901

Last edited:
Thanks for all that support friends! :thmbsp:
3 issues that came to mind:

1. There's an interesting story behind that amp.
I manage a small hi-fi store, and the guy who sold me the amp is our Monitor audio agent. Over 20 years ago, he worked for Sansui's importer here in Israel.
While he was selling them to stores (not in very big amounts, it was a very small market here back in the 80's), he bought the top one for himself. After a while he gave it up and put it into storage, due to lack of remote control (I can really understand him by the way). He never had the heart to sell it, so it remained untouched for many years- until I took it.

2. Regarding the amp itself, I've had an interesting find. It seems that the "Power amp Direct" entrance gives the cleanest sound, but weakens the volume considerably. The reason is skipping the internal pre-amp completely, making it actually a power amp with passive volume control. In this way, the original signal is kept as-is and not amplified before getting to the power amp level. Of course, since the power has less to work with, the volume level has to go way up in order to maintain the same SPL. The sansui 6060 BTW, although being only 50 or 60 watts per channel, plays super loud due to a very agressive pre-amp treatement.
In and case, the X901 sounds amazing through the regular entrances (and pressing "source direct" takes it up notch).

3. There is a big difference between the X901 and the 6060. The 6060 is much "warmer", with a big tonal addition to the bottom end. Almost tube-like. the X901 is much more balanced, and much cleaner. I suppose the 6060's nature will be quite similar to the 717 or the 919 (except for their extra power output). The X901 does sound much closer to modern amps. I do enjoy the 6060 very much, maybe I'll try to get a 717 or a cheaper 517 just for the heck of it.

Last edited:
Wow, you know a lot more about it than I though you did! haha.

I thought you just got this amp and was thinking about getting rid of it and getting the AU-717. lol. You know, sell it to get a 717! The X901 is a terrific amp!

And the X901 is in 'like new' condition...excellent!! Same as mine really. Myself, I could care less about a remote control for an amp. :) Now for a CD player, it's a different story, a remote control is really necessary.

I love the "Power amp Direct - Source Direct" mode. I use it constantly, no need for a remote, I rarely ever never really, change my amp settings. But I don't play music loud anymore. "Source Direct" with "Loudness" works perfect for me...all the time, with base and treble usually zeroed out almost always. But for some strange reason which I don't really understand, the amp does sound a little bit better, nicer, with the "Tone" circuit energized even with the base and treble controls set at zero??? So I always energize this circuit as well. Just sounds a little bit better that way to me. It shouldn't. But it does.

The older amps, like the 6060 and the 717, have more 'punch' and are warmer. It's a specific sound to the era of that time. It 'IS' a different sound, yes, absolutely, warmer and more tube-like. And agreed, the X901 does sound much closer to modern audiophile amps. I've always thought that it's like a modern audiophile amp with Sansui circuitry! The best of both worlds.

I'm basically a one-amp-guy but in your case...why not? Get a 717, have it fully restored, get rid of all that nasty glue problems, and you will have the best of both worlds. I've never heard a 919 but have been told by a former USA Sansui representitive that the 717 and 919 sound almost identical except for the power difference and the 'turntable direct mode' (forgot the actual function name) in the AU-919. Also he said that the 717 was better at lower volumn playing and the 919 liked to be turned up a little louder to hit it's stride, for it to sound it's best, being a stronger amp. But he also told me that you could blow up your speakers, by accident, with the 'turntable direct mode'. You know, having the volumn turned up high, someone turns the 'turntable direct function' off, and instant power to your speakers. Bam. Sounds like a 'feature' I really wouldn't want.

I really did LOVE my AU-717. It was like sitting in a 'Live Rock Concert'. Very punchy and it has the 07 'Sound of Sansui'. It was a great sounding amp. I always used to say: "Now THAT is what an amp is SUPPOSE to sound like!!"

But I really do love this X901, it's just perfect for me in every way. Maybe the reason I like the modern amp sound now is because I'm older and don't really play music loud anymore. But the X901 will play loud if you want it to! But it is more of an audiophile sound and not as punchy. Warmer too.

Excellent!!

(Hope everything is going on fine for everyone in Israel my friend!!!!!)

Last edited:
Wow, you know a lot more about it than I though you did! haha.

(Hope everything is going on fine for everyone in Israel my friend!!!!!)

What I wrote is just from a pure technical view, I didn't know anything about sansui amps until a few days ago (I did dig a bit online and consulted the technician I bought the 6060 from). I sure got an appetite for these japanese gems. Maybe I'll try to find also a luxman- should be good as well.

And thanks for your kind words! Here the biggest concern nowdays is the economy rather than security, same as in the US I think (at least according to american friends of mine). A great time to buy inexpensive vintage amps...!

LPs sound 'really great' with the AU-717. It is a 'special sound'. When my brother came over I played him an LP on an SR-838, with a low hour 1980 FE Ortofon MM cart, through an AU-717. He was totally amazed. It blew him away really. It did simply sound wonderful. He even said to me: "Oh, I remember ' THAT ' sound!!" And he's a musician. He knows sound.

LPs sound really great with the AU-X901 'Vintage' too. :) Just perfect.

Both fine amps.

I've heard some Luxman(s) back in the day too (1970) but just can't specifically remember how they sounded, but I do remember they were very fine amplifiers. They certainly had a following! :thmbsp: There was folks just totally into Luxman. It was such a fun time for stereo equipment and music.

I really love the sound of the quality Japanese equipment, now vintage equipment. They just 'sound right', then and now, no thinking involved. It was just 'right'. Even the Pioneers, Kenwoods, and Nikkos sounded great. It was a wonderful time period for quality sounding stereo music equipment. :music:

Still is too.

Call it Hi-Fi, Mid-Fi, call it anything you want...the quality Japanese stereo equipment sounds and feels great!! Then and now, just does.

For me...the AU-717 sounds outstanding, it sounds the way an amp is suppose to sound. Deep with punch and soul. And the AU-X901 'Vintage'...sounds exceptional.

I would just love to hear an AU-X1111 MOS Vintage someday. And a 1999 AU-111 'Vintage'. And the Q-3535! :)

Last edited:
:)

The only reason I don't have one already is that there aren't any more replacement MOS Chips or whatever they are. They are all long gone.

Even the Sansui Engineers stated that the AU-X1111 MOS Vintage was ' THE AMP ' to have.

I'd love to have a 1999 AU-111 'Vintage' too.

In my dreams! :)

Last edited:
Agree 100% regarding the sound quality of the AU-X701 and 901. They are are wonderful design. Definitely do not be put-off by the apparent simplification of the circuit design. Sometimes less is more. I love my restored AU-517 and AU-719 to death, but IMHO the 701 is noticeably better from a sonic perspective.

And it's 1989, not 1979!! It's 10 years newer! You know, maintenance, 10 year newer caps, build, etc. I.E. reliablity, no problems.

It depends if the glue holding the two largest capacitors on the PCB has started to have its wicked way with the surrounding components. Definitely worth checking for any AU-X701 and 901 owner. Not all amps are affected to the same extent - it depends how much glue was used during assembly!

The quality of several of the capacitors throughout the amp is also not as good as one would expect, and they seem to go out of spec earlier than usual. 'ManyMoonsAudio' posted about his discovery in the thread below, and I've also posted pics of the glue issues in the thread:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=407637

aux701corrosion1.jpg

Agree 100% regarding the sound quality of the AU-X701 and 901. They are are wonderful design. Definitely do not be put-off by the apparent simplification of the circuit design. Sometimes less is more. I love my restored AU-517 and AU-719 to death, but IMHO the 701 is noticeably better from a sonic perspective.

It depends if the glue holding the two largest capacitors on the PCB has started to have its wicked way with the surrounding components. Definitely worth checking for any AU-X701 and 901 owner. Not all amps are affected to the same extent - it depends how much glue was used during assembly!

The quality of several of the capacitors throughout the amp is also not as good as one would expect, and they seem to go out of spec earlier than usual. 'ManyMoonsAudio' posted about his discovery in the thread below, and I've also posted pics of the glue issues in the thread:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=407637

aux701corrosion1.jpg

Honestly, I'm to scared to look! It's in the rack anyway so...

someday I guess I will have to look. (At the caps too.)

I guess everything gets old, sometimes sooner than later.

Still sounds great though...for now.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Capacitors do age in time.
In my X901, 2 capacitors on the right hand side were a bit leaking (on the PCB). I cleaned it up using contact spray, gentle scratching and air pressure. They do seem to be well glued on however.
In any case it is obvious they will have to be replaced at some point.
I'll take it eventually to that technician I mentioned, I'm just no to keen on moving the amp too much, looking so new and minty.
Bluesky- don't be afraid to open it up! I've never had a device I didn't open up, at least for cleaning. Learning how these things are built, first hand- For me it's a major part of the fun.

I will have to open the X901 up the next time I take it out of the rack.

Everything gets old but I will refurbrish/restore this amp when the time comes. It's really a fine sounding amp and it sure would be more cost effective to restore it than buy a Bryston. And I'd much rather have the X901 anyway, of course.

It's all part of the vintage game I guess. Now I'm wondering if the seller had taken a look inside and seen damage and just kept the X701 cause it was in better shape??? It's possible, maybe even probable. I will have to take a look inside one of these days.

I also have a 1989 Sony amp that I bought new for the wife. When my AU-717 finally really crashed hard and my AU-D77X lost one channel (still have it in storage) I had to use the '89 Sony while looking for 10 months for the X901. In all honesty, I was quite suprised on how nice the Sony amp sounded! I mean, it was the mid line amp of the series and cost $400 new. Guess I should take a look inside that one too. Hardly, rarely, ever used it prior using it while looking for the X901. That 'very' middle 'Mid-Fi' amp does sound pretty nice for being nothing special. I was honestly quite suprised really.

But for now, the X901 is really functioning fine. It amazes me how equipment can 'deteroriate like that' and still function and sound so fine! Guess it's pure Sansui magic. I'll have to take a look inside the X901 soon, I'm scared to look! I really do love this amp.

The other problem...being down here in SW Florida...there just isn't any place to take vintage electronics too. No vintage equipment repair facility(s) exist.

Certainly hope it's fine!

Last edited:
:)

The only reason I don't have one already is that there aren't any more replacement MOS Chips or whatever they are. They are all long gone.

The original mosfets are hard to get, but with a little effort it is still possible to get them. There are also replacements mosfets easier and cheaper to get.:yes:

The original mosfets are hard to get, but with a little effort it is still possible to get them. There are also replacements mosfets easier and cheaper to get.:yes:

Thanks for that advice Nicowico, I didn't know that. All I knew, heard anyway...is that there wasn't anymore availiable. So the AU-X1111 MOS Vintage, and other Sansui MOS amps, have been totally 'off my radar'. My radar is energized again now. I'd love to have an AU-X1111 MOS Vintage.

With that known, I may be on the lookout for an AU-X1111 MOS Vintage if I can find a great one, at a reasonable price. They do seem to come up for sale on Yahoo Japan and eBay Germany not often, but they do come up for sale every now and then. I'm interested.

Here we go again! No hurry but when the right one, at the right price, comes up...

* Where would you buy original MOSFETs??? Or, the MOSFETs replacements? *

:thmbsp:

Last edited:
* Where would you buy original MOSFETs??? Or, the MOSFETs replacements? *

:thmbsp:

I bought a spare set(just in case of....)2SK405/2SJ115 from KALE. Maybe he has some left or knows a source.
For SK389 I have a source in Sweden who has lots of them. No, not Stene:D
2SJ200/2SK1529 are replacements for the 2SJ115/2SK405. Do a search on Google, but beware of counterfeits.

OK, go find a cheap AU X1111:music:

I bought a spare set(just in case of....)2SK405/2SJ115 from KALE. Maybe he has some left or knows a source.
For SK389 I have a source in Sweden who has lots of them. No, not Stene:D
2SJ200/2SK1529 are replacements for the 2SJ115/2SK405. Do a search on Google, but beware of counterfeits. OK, go find a cheap AU X1111:music:

Thanks for the information! :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom