Sansui AU6500 vs AU7500

slimecity

Hi there. I have or have owned Sansui Au6500, Au999, Au9900, AU555a, AU517, and am AU-X701....I really regret selling the AU6500, as it had a really nice balance between the "fat and warm" vintage soundstage, and detail.

I'm looking to get another one to bring up to a good standard (the last 6500 kept me busy as it had three things I needed to repair on it, even before I got to modding it.....)

Im looking on a particular Japanese site (and yes, I do have a 100VAC transformer!) and there are not many 6500's that come up there at all, but at least four 7500's currently listed.

As Im pretty fussy (that I really, really want a 6500), how similar in topology is the 6500 from the 7500, and has anyone done a sound comparison between them?

Would be interested to know....cheers!

AU 7500 is a great unit. I am very sure its a step up compare to AU 6500 but if you can get the mighty AU 8500/9500 that should be very much interesting. Excellent build quality and sound.

Thanks rasenthiran, Although I have read pretty mixed reviews on the 9500 on this site. The 6500 aint much to look at inside, but soundwise it punches well above its weight. Im not sure if Im the only one who thinks this or not.....so I guess rasenthiran's reply has made me think - does the 7500 have more in common with the 6500, or with the bigger 8500/9500? Particularly, soundwise?

I don't know; have you perused the transliterated descriptions at:
http://audio-database.com/SANSUI/amp/index.html

which are derived from:
http://www.audio-heritage.jp/SANSUI/amp/index.html

For example, according to the descriptions there (which I imagine are taken from product literature), the 6500 and 7500 have 6800 uF filter capacitors in the P/S; the 8500 is claimed to have 15,000 uF filters.

EDIT: There are a smattering of docs for those three amps available at http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sansui.shtml

Last edited:
Never had the 6500, do own several 7500's and a couple of the 9500's.
The 7500's are a fine sounding amp, similar to the 9500, lacking some of the features, and of course headroom.
Once when my BA/CA 3000 setup was out for service I used an AU 7500 as my main set, didn't feel like I lost anything at regular listening levels with my efficient SP 300 speakers.
I would watch for a unit that works on 120 VAC 60 cycle power tho...

thanks mhardy, that site is a good place for me to start. Looks like the difference between the units - at least visually - is minimal - a bit more power for the 7500 and some different switch layouts. Yes I can see that the 8500/9500 have better topology, but the 6500's sound has captured me, and as we all know, what looks better doesn't always necessarily sound better!

thanks mhardy, that site is a good place for me to start. Looks like the difference between the units - at least visually - is minimal - a bit more power for the 7500 and some different switch layouts. Yes I can see that the 8500/9500 have better topology, but the 6500's sound has captured me, and as we all know, what looks better doesn't always necessarily sound better!
When it comes to sound ,
the Sansui's all have different voicing,and results are subjective despite their price range and model level.I and my partner actually own the whole series of AU-xxx n au-x500 series n surprisingly even the au101 sounds better then its bigger siblings...

Back
Top Bottom