Sansui Eight Power Cord

TimmahTao

AK Member
When visiting my great aunt, she asked me if I could help here clean out some old electronics. I said sure, obviously. Included in the pile was a Sansui 8 in beautiful condition. A single chip in the wooden case, and one of the button labels missing. My goal is to get it up to snuff again. It is spotless inside as well, but I can't get it turned on. Even though my aunt had kept the original manual, service manual, and purchase receipt, the power cable was nowhere to be found.

Tried doing a search and didn't come up with much. Does anyone have suggestions regarding where I might find a two prong power cord with the right spacing for a Sansui Eight. I recall reading that some people had cut up a different 2 prong cord to make it fit, but that seems extra sketchy, and I don't want to cut up the back to put a standard plug in, since it's so original, unless you guys tell me that it wouldn't be sacrilege.

I'll post some picture of the exterior and interior later to make this a more general restore thread when I get a few spare minutes.

Last edited:
A few pics:
Dt73biv.jpg

Bg45w0i.jpg

Yes, the holy grail of Sansui collectors is a stash of those power cords. It's a very unique configuration but there are cords that sort of fit. One of those almost fits cords is what is known as a TV "cheater" cord. Old tube TVs usually had a removable back panel. The power cord was attached to that panel. When you removed the back panel, the power would be disconnect from the TV chassis. That plug will sort of fit Sansui's with removable power cords. It's not perfect but it works. But even these are hard to find these days. Your best bet is to start looking through power cords in thrift shops, or anyplace else that has that type of stuff for sale. If you can find one with the right diameter pins, you can split the connector to get the spacing right.

There are two production ranges of the Eight. Later production units have a protection relay. Earlier ones don't have it. I'm trying to determine the build date of that change. Please post the serial number and if you can take the covers off, let me know whether or not it has the relay.

Thanks,

- Pete

Yes, the holy grail of Sansui collectors is a stash of those power cords. It's a very unique configuration but there are cords that sort of fit. One of those almost fits cords is what is known as a TV "cheater" cord. Old tube TVs usually had a removable back panel. The power cord was attached to that panel. When you removed the back panel, the power would be disconnect from the TV chassis. That plug will sort of fit Sansui's with removable power cords. It's not perfect but it works. But even these are hard to find these days. Your best bet is to start looking through power cords in thrift shops, or anyplace else that has that type of stuff for sale. If you can find one with the right diameter pins, you can split the connector to get the spacing right.

There are two production ranges of the Eight. Later production units have a protection relay. Earlier ones don't have it. I'm trying to determine the build date of that change. Please post the serial number and if you can take the covers off, let me know whether or not it has the relay.

Thanks,

- Pete
Thanks, Pete.

What does the relay look like?

Serial Number is 221090895.

OK, so I just measured mine. I should mention that it's not original; like you I found my Eight without a power cord. I searched thrift stores until I found one that worked.

The pin diameter looks to be roughly 3mm, with a separation of 8mm. Close as I can measure anyway. My cord is unbranded, but others have indicated that Salton cords fit.

If you don't see anything in the section where they have power cords, check to see if you can find any old hotplates. Many use a similar size cord.

Good luck, and be patient! You'll find one eventually without paying the outrageous prices that you see for originals.

It took me a very long time to find my Eight cord. Watch E-bay closely. Also look for QR-6500 and QR-4500 cords. Two have sold in the last 4 months.

Before I found mine I used one that was too wide, so I cut between the connections with a hacksaw. The plug can be squeezed which brings the holes closer together so it will fit.

Rob

I've converted one Eight to an IEC cord.
The trick is to find a IEC that has a small shell.
A little file time or a die grinder is needed to fit the IEC. Problem solved forever.

I do watch for cords that fit. There are some stuff providing cords that seem close but I haven't backtracked the source yet.

I'm going to start tagging Eight serial numbers with BR or AR, before relay and after relay. That will give us an idea of when the production change was made.

- Pete

Another alternative to finding a compatible cord is to install a permanent cord. You can remove the cord socket, mount a metal "blanking plate" in it's place and route a new cord through the plate. It's a fairly simple modification if you have the ability to make the blanking plate.

- Pete

Another alternative to finding a compatible cord is to install a permanent cord. You can remove the cord socket, mount a metal "blanking plate" in it's place and route a new cord through the plate. It's a fairly simple modification if you have the ability to make the blanking plate.

- Pete

And a decent hole that would fit a strain relief.
At least a smooth hole with a rubber grommet and put a knot in the cord on the inside of the unit.

I recollect in the long past that echowars made a comment about the Eight cord was the same as some kitchen appliance cords. I have a very old mixer that uses the same cord. I think blhagstrom's suggestion would be the best. IEC cords are ubiuitous at every thrift store and cheap old computers and other devices can be salvaged for the male receptacle mount. LBPete's suggestion would probably be the easiest and fastest.

- Pete

I did that to a QR-6500 I had. Cut a piece from the back plate of another receiver. Was going to paint it black but never did.

100_2127.jpg

Rob

I did that to a QR-6500 I had. Cut a piece from the back plate of another receiver. Was going to paint it black but never did.

100_2127.jpg

Rob
Oof. My inner originalist shivers a little bit at the thought of chipping anything up.

By the way, I've also tried searching for some rebuild threads to find a BOM for recommended transistor and capacitor replacements. I've been reading some of the more expert sounding posts to try to learn about WHY they choose certain size/capacity/voltage replacements, but would probably do better with something to start from.

Oof. My inner originalist shivers a little bit at the thought of chipping anything up.

Well, the parts unit I got the back panel from was a waste. Not more than a chassis. The QR-6500 was my parts unit to repair another QR-6500 I had.
After I repaired the first one, I went to work on the parts unit. The meters I installed were blue, not green, and I just wanted to get it working.
It was not going to be original while it was in my hands. Which it wasn't for long.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom