Sansui FR-4060

ARJohn

Well I couldn't resist , found a FR-4060 at a recycle place with no belt . so bought it . The belt has long ago turned to brown goop on the motor pulley. This thing is heavy and came with a AT110e mounted . so playing with it found out that the spindle doesn't turn at all . I took vice grips and got it to turn but the bearing must be kaput or dried up ? I removed the bearing assembly from the table but doesn't seem to be anyway to get into it ?
Anyone know if this is something I could fanagle into turning ?
This is not for me , was just going to give it to a friend anyway .
But seems like a well built unit . could I track down a complete bearing/spindle replacement somewhere maybe ?
thanks
John

update

Well after getting the bearing moving a bit , I re-installed it on the deck and rotated the platter by hand and it got easier . I did this over the last hour or so and had it spinning about a full revolution with one spin . But then it just seized up again in mid spin . If anyone has a spindle unit lying around let please PM me .
thanks again

Update , took the spindle assembley out , and put it in the oven at the lowest setting for 20 min . Spins great now , been a few hours .
So now I need to get the RIGHT belt . Lots of places on the net sell them , but I read here about a guy who got the wrong size and it played fast . And can anyone shed some light on the little holes that say "oil " with a wick in them ?
Here is a link to the pics of the find

http://cid-43944d23f1c630cc.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Public

P.S.
Take a look at the tubes to the motor bearings. They may also be dried out. Be sure the oil to the motor is getting where it needs to. You may need to clean these out and then add more oil.
Sim

update the new belt arrived today in the mail , slapped it on and volia ! Plays at the right speed as far as I can tell by ear , well worth the price of the belt . Seems pretty good , low noise , and that's with the AT cart on it . Will have to find the time to swap out the V15 on it as see what that sounds like . Will have to go inside though as the it seems to want to repeat the disc and the manual cue has lost it's fluid as it is no longer damped , the automatic is though ? Maybe SpinD has thoughts on this ?
Happy camper , very cool to have this old girl spining again.
:music:

That was recorded using the line out of an AR07 int amp into my stock PC with on board sound and using Audacity , a free multitrack program as the recorder . Then switched over to a 128 mp3. So it's not the best quality but was intended just to give a rough idea of the sound . Gald it worked for you .
John

John
If you need a copy of the service manual I have one. I'd need to direct mail it to you. E-mail me directly if you're interested. The pictures and the mp3 are great.
Sim

John
If you need a copy of the service manual I have one. I'd need to direct mail it to you. E-mail me directly if you're interested. The pictures and the mp3 are great.
Sim
Sim, what's the possibility of getting me a copy of that service manual, please ?

Thanks, Matt :thmbsp:

John, your TT turned out nice. :thmbsp:

Fr 4060

Matt
Send me a PM with your address and I will send it out. I'm traveling this week, but I can get it to you next week.
Sim

Well finally got time to open up the Sansui today with the manual provided by the good Doctor (thanks sim ) Talk about a complex machine . The motor is huge !! There are a hell of a lot of parts in there . The foam in the springs was still foam and nice and springy so I left it as is for the moment . Main goal was to adjust the speed as I was told there may be a speed adjust inside but alas there is not . So I have been searching on line for other belts , the one I bought was $7 and was supposed to be for the fr4060 . The belt does fit and the speed is stable but fast , noticably so to me at least. And checked with the strobe confirms it . So should I go for the $18 belt at LPgear and hope that it solves the problem ? Or am I just throwing money away ?
cheers
John :sigh:

A clever fellow over in the TT forum said he had slowed tables down by using a few layers of electrical tape around the inside of the platter where the belt rides , increasing the diameter slightly . Well it works !! I tried 2 wraps around , then 4 and now 6 times around .The strobe disc is moving clockwise very slowly now and I am a happy camper . So maybe another belt will not be the answer after all . Still would like to get the speed closer but not eager to throw $20 bucks away either.:music:

Back
Top Bottom