Sansui Frequently asked, and more...

this thread is really full of great advice. right now I am trying to do the Bias offset for my 881. I have a very basic question, please forgive me if it is too basic :
1. using a DC multimeter, do I have to take out the fuse (f07 & f08) first then measure and do the adjustment at VR03 & VR04?
if I take out the fuse, will it still work ? I am really confuse.
2. according to fig 3-2: so we have to put the red wire to the plus terminal and black wire to the minus terminal of the fuse ? is there any +/- sign on the fuse ? what happen if we put the wrong color wire lead?

thank you in advance for your answer

this thread is really full of great advice. right now I am trying to do the Bias offset for my 881. I have a very basic question, please forgive me if it is too basic :
1. using a DC multimeter, do I have to take out the fuse (f07 & f08) first then measure and do the adjustment at VR03 & VR04?
if I take out the fuse, will it still work ? I am really confuse.
2. according to fig 3-2: so we have to put the red wire to the plus terminal and black wire to the minus terminal of the fuse ? is there any +/- sign on the fuse ?
thank you in advance for your answer

For step 1 and 2,do as indicated in the figure 3-1 (use mV meter) (for DC offset) 0V "if possible" on the speakers terminals.
For step 3 and 4,do as indicated in the figure 3-2 (use mA meter) (for bias current).

what happen if we put the wrong color wire lead?

Bias current is mesured as -30mA instead of 30mA (with my auto range digital multimeter).

Last edited:
For step 1 and 2,do as indicated in the figure 3-1 (use mV meter) (for DC offset) 0V "if possible" on the speakers terminals.
For step 3 and 4,do as indicated in the figure 3-2 (use mA meter) (for bias current).

Thanks mroboto for your answer.
my question was for step 3 and 4 , do we have to measure with fuse inside or we have to take out the fuse first ? it seems that we have to take out the fuse first, but I am not sure.

Thanks mroboto for your answer.
my question was for step 3 and 4 , do we have to measure with fuse inside or we have to take out the fuse first ? it seems that we have to take out the fuse first, but I am not sure.

Remove the fuse and place your mA (milliAmpere) tester to act like as if it is the fuse.

(A current measuring fuse)

Last edited:
1000x receiver bias/DC info?

Just got my Sansui 1000x on the bench.
New bulbs, deoxid and now want to check Bias/DC.
Has anybody the procedure for this receiver?

-John-

This is it - hope you can read it...... note this receiver has capacitor coupled output - so no DC offset adjustment as such.

Attachments

• 1000X Bias.JPG
    1000X Bias.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 118
Anyone have specs and directions for the AU-505? Going to steal the one from work and give it a once over (deoxit, new power bulb, etc)

Can anyone confirm where I test Bias Current on G-5700? The top view from the service manual copy I have is not good. Pretty certain the L channel terminal 85 and R channel terminal 86 are the posts wired gray and blue respectively, but where is the other connection made? There are two holes, with metal visible within, marked as R71 (L), and R72 (R) respectively, but I get radically differing readings dependinG on which probe I place where. New AAs in the DMM. Also, should the pots VR01-04 be given the de-oxit bath and gold lube? Thanks gents.

Can anyone confirm where I test Bias Current on G-5700?.......
Measure across a .33Ω emitter resistor on the output transistor board of each channel and set the bias for 3.3mV's. You can clean the trimmers yes but be sure to set them for minimum bias when done and then go about your measurments/adjustments.

Thanks OL. To do that I clip onto each leg of the resistor itself? Will the value be marked on the circuit board, or will I need to ID by the colored bands on the resistor? Also, I'm not questioning here, but the manual says adjust to 5mV +-1mV. Why do you say 3.3mV ? Really appreciate the help.

Thanks OL. To do that I clip onto each leg of the resistor itself? Will the value be marked on the circuit board, or will I need to ID by the colored bands on the resistor? Also, I'm not questioning here, but the manual says adjust to 5mV +-1mV. Why do you say 3.3mV ? Really appreciate the help.

They are the square white ceramic resistors....they will have the value written on them it will say 0.33ohmK or something like that.....the K is the tolerance designation which in this case is 5%.....

They are on the F-3093 boards with the output transistors......

The resistors are R-601, and yes you clip onto the resistors legs, with you DMM set to DC mV....and you adjust for 5mV......

Im not actually sure if you can get to the resistors easily, If you can let me know and I will post a picture of where you clip onto the underside of the driver board........

Hi,

I went through most of the post, and very informative, thank you all a joy reading! I cant set the DC offset on my AU 555 as I dont have a osilascope. Is there a way to do it with a DMM with kHz?

Back
Top Bottom